It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Junk Links All Over The Place

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

What is this junk? Is there a way to get rid of it? All over the place there are links that I don't want, don't need and most times can barely read.

The one is the pic leads to terrorism.it. What the hell is that and why do I need a link to it?

I was hoping I wasn't the first one to talk about this but I didn't see a thread about it. Maybe I missed it. Maybe it's just my junky computer acting up and being the POS it always is, though I hope not.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Uh, no i haven't had this problem, in fact i usually just hit the 'refresh' button. These wildcard links are probably a sinister A.I. google program invading your PC

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
That is exactly what I was NOT hoping to hear. I just bought a new program to get rid of that junk. Guess it doesn't work.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Which program is that?

Edit: And what browser are you using?
edit on 15-1-2011 by TedStevensLives because: (no reason given)

Edit2: Does this only happen when people don't leave a space after a dot? Does any of the following look like a link on your browser:
kick.it
help.us
whatever.is
edit on 15-1-2011 by TedStevensLives because: (no reason given)

Last Edit: Did that terrorism.it link send you to that nonexistent terrorism.it or somewhere else?
edit on 15-1-2011 by TedStevensLives because: ...that should do it

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

It would help if you posted a link to that post, so we could look at it and see if it's only a problem in your computer/browser or if it's an ATS problem.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Yeah, it sounds to me like your browser is making hotlinks for you.

Bah hit the wrong reply button, my bad.
edit on Sat, 15 Jan 2011 13:20:12 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=651293

That's the thread the screenshot came from. Haven't seen too many of these today in my browsing but they pop up every now and again. For a short time they were everywhere.

I haven't clicked on one so I don't know if they lead anywhere, just what it says it leads to in the corner. I just tried that link and it's junk. If my browser is causing this - Firefox - then how do I get it to stop? What freakiness am I dealing with?

Bloody hell I hate this computer but it's all I have and I have to deal with it.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Not a hot link in site.

I think you need to reset your browser settings.
Dump your cookies and disable all 3rd party browser extension.
That should help.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Firefox user here, no live links on that page for me. Maybe it is one of my addons blocking it, or an addon you have making it a live link. Definately weird.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

No out of place links, the post looks normal.

I tried it also with Firefox and everything is normal.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I would recommend downloading malwarebytes anti malware and macafee getsusp.exe.

These programs will be able to see if you are infected with some adware virus.
Getsusp is very useful in my experience as it gives you the exact name of the suspicious program along with the path, then you can manually go delete it.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I can confirm this and it is ATS... But this only happens when viewing threads and content while logged OUT.

Log out and try it... It has nothing to do with browsers etc... Logged out, words and phrases in text posts and other material become links.. In IE and Chrome, and FF.

Edit: I can see how this would be confusing and frustrating for visitors of ATS.

Not good IMO
edit on 15-1-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I tried but could not see any of those links.

Could you point to a specific case? Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

DING!

It was a add-on. I found it, clicked off that feature, and now all is hunky dory.

Thanks to all. Now that that's fixed I can move on to finding out why the dvd player in my other computer just disappeared. Fun times.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

I tried but could not see any of those links.

Could you point to a specific case? Thanks in advance.

Sure, and this happens on other computers regardless of OS or browser, and it may be encoded into the adverts that load with pages... Snipped moments ago, logged out...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f2cff858bcf7.jpg[/atsimg]

Some threads will have hundreds of these and others only a few, and some NONE, it depends on the page and ads I suppose.

You can click those words when you find them, or mouse over and get a popup with search info.

Again, this only happens when logged out, or viewing as a visitor.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

OK, those I have seen before, although, for some reason, I didn't see any of those when I logged off before.

Many sites have those links, never thought of trying to know how they appear.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

OK, those I have seen before, although, for some reason, I didn't see any of those when I logged off before.

Many sites have those links, never thought of trying to know how they appear.

The site is ad heavy as it is for visitors, throw these into a thread they may be interested in and I could see how it could turn some away.

I know ATS needs ad revenue to operate, but if you try the "visitor" experience here it seems a bit over the top and rather confusing, possibly frustrating.

But they come and go, so maybe it isn't too bad.

Just my thoughts.

new topics

top topics

join