It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden Dark Matter Galaxy found Just Beyond Our Milky Way?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
So it appears that they may (although not yet confirmed) of discovered a dark matter Galaxy just outside of our own
Here is a quote from the article.

"Chakrabarti, of the University of California, Berkeley, devised a technique similar to that used 160 years ago to predict the existence of Neptune, which was given away by the wobbles its gravity induced in Uranus's orbit.

Based on gravitational perturbations of gases on the fringes of our Milky Way galaxy, Chakrabarti came to her conclusion that there's a heretofore unknown dwarf galaxy about 260,000 light-years away"

Andromeda is 2.5 million light-years away ,so in comparison this is just next door to us

news.nationalgeographic.com...

What, if true could lurk in this unseen Galaxy? It is thought to have some dim stars so the light should be able to be picked up now they know where to look.
The majority of our Universe is theorised to be dark matter so who knows what else lies out there. These really are interesting times we live in.
I know there is not a lot of information but hopefully more on this subject will be discovered ,thought I would share with you ATSers that are interested anyway. Any comments are welcome

Take care
Regards
edit on 15-1-2011 by maythetruthbeknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Sorry there is a bit of a flaw in that there is a galaxy only 42.000 light years from us here's the link.

www.universetoday.com...

And this was in 2003

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Maybe this is not a dark matter galaxy it could be something else I have heard of. It could be a 'dead galaxy'.
A dead galaxy is one that is so old that the whole galaxy it totally dead. No heat or light or anything. Because there is no output they are hard to see. I have only read about them in sci-fi books but if that is what this is once again it may point to the ago of the whole universe being off.

And before any one jumps up on their soap box screaming at me, NO I have no links or any proof of any kind that the universe is far older that it is thought. It is just a feeling that I have alway had.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by simples
[mor

Thanks for you comment although I think you are missing the point. This is a potential dark matter galaxy in our neighbourhood. Only used Andromeda as a reference because it is well known.
Canis Major is a dwarf galaxy. Andromeda is a spiral one, this new potential one is a dark matter one.
Take Care
Regards

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

Ok so what is a dark matter galaxy?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by maythetruthbeknown
So it appears that they may (although not yet confirmed) of discovered a dark matter Galaxy just outside of our own
Here is a quote from the article.

"Chakrabarti, of the University of California, Berkeley, devised a technique similar to that used 160 years ago to predict the existence of Neptune, which was given away by the wobbles its gravity induced in Uranus's orbit.

Based on gravitational perturbations of gases on the fringes of our Milky Way galaxy, Chakrabarti came to her conclusion that there's a heretofore unknown dwarf galaxy about 260,000 light-years away"

Andromeda is 2.5 million light-years away ,so in comparison this is just next door to us

news.nationalgeographic.com...

What, if true could lurk in this unseen Galaxy? It is thought to have some dim stars so the light should be able to be picked up now they know where to look.
The majority of our Universe is theorised to be dark matter so who knows what else lies out there. These really are interesting times we live in.
I know there is not a lot of information but hopefully more on this subject will be discovered ,thought I would share with you ATSers that are interested anyway. Any comments are welcome

Take care
Regards
edit on 15-1-2011 by maythetruthbeknown because: (no reason given)

excellent find my friend this explain the distortion in the path of the pioneer spacecaft outside our solar sytem and should not be ignored this document is new and is relevant OPwww.newtonphysics.on.ca...
and
www.daviddarling.info...
dark matter galaxy is a galaxy frequenting from another dimension at a different speed and frequency than our galaxy,,dark matter is matter seeping through from another dimension
edit on 15-1-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

I know you thought it was just a simple thing but its been observed for some time ,and now they have found the reason why,no need for niburu,its a galaxy !
edit on 15-1-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Ok I have just read up on it it's matter that has gravitational pull but can not be seen it's utterly transparent (but not proven it exists )

So basically it can be detected through gravity it gas but not seen as if it was in a fourth dimension but still interacts with the third dimension.

That's it in a nutshell I think lol

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gringoboy

I don't think dark matter has anything to do with different dimensions. Dark matter is something that was invented to help explain the way galaxies spin and move.

Notice that galaxies have spiral arms. Material that orbits the center of these galaxies due only to gravity should follow the inverse square law. The outermost of these stars should rotate at a much slower rate then that of the inner material or stars closer to the middle (rate of rotation inversely squared by the distance). We see this in the orbital motions of the planets and moons in our solar system.

What we observe is galaxies that have well formed spiral arms. If the material in these galaxies are spinning due only to the force of gravity then we should not see any spirals arms. They should have been twisted up beyond recognition long ago due to the nature of their rotational motions. In order for galaxies to rotate like a rigid wheel, as one, the thought is that there must be more matter causing enough gravitational force to hold this stuff together. ergo the theory of dark matter.

Think of the planets in our solar system. If they acted like these galaxies then all of the planets would take the same time to make one orbit around the Sun. Mercury would take 365 days to make one orbit as well as Pluto.

The reason why dark matter is said to be invisible is simply because they cannot see it nor record it. Dark matter has not been detected in any direct way. Perhaps there is another reason why galaxies rotate like a rigid body which we do not understand yet, one that does not need some fictitious dark matter to explain.

edit on 1/15/2011 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

Hi maythetruthbeknown, I am surprised this doesn't have more flags? This is a MAJOR find in cosmology.
We are getting closer to finding out about the 'glue' that holds our universe together.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Devino

I don't think dark matter has anything to do with different dimensions. Dark matter is something that was invented to help explain the way galaxies spin and move.

Notice that galaxies have spiral arms. Material that orbits the center of these galaxies due only to gravity should follow the inverse square law. The outermost of these stars should rotate at a much slower rate then that of the inner material or stars closer to the middle (rate of rotation inversely squared by the distance). We see this in the orbital motions of the planets and moons in our solar system.

What we observe is galaxies that have well formed spiral arms. If the material in these galaxies are spinning due only to the force of gravity then we should not see any spirals arms. They should have been twisted up beyond recognition long ago due to the nature of their rotational motions. In order for galaxies to rotate like a rigid wheel, as one, the thought is that there must be more matter causing enough gravitational force to hold this stuff together. ergo the theory of dark matter.

Think of the planets in our solar system. If they acted like these galaxies then all of the planets would take the same time to make one orbit around the Sun. Mercury would take 365 days to make one orbit as well as Pluto.

The reason why dark matter is said to be invisible is simply because they cannot see it nor record it. Dark matter has not been detected in any direct way. Perhaps there is another reason why galaxies rotate like a rigid body which we do not understand yet, one that does not need some fictitious dark matter to explain.

edit on 1/15/2011 by Devino because: (no reason given)

watch this if you don`t know
www.youtube.com...
bigthink.com...
edit on 16-1-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

so in theory we have a anti univesre ,creepy Ehh.
edit on 16-1-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Thanks for the links. I like the way Michio Kaku thinks, but I remain skeptical.

My first impression is that I don't like it. Sounds like what they have been finding is more confusing then originally thought so they make the explanation more confusing. There is no need for dark matter to explain the dynamics of the Universe. Doing so appears to do nothing but complicate things.

Laser interferometers have so far found nothing over the last 130 years (remember the Michelson-Morley experiments?) and I don't think this will change no matter how much money one spends. Michio Kaku thinks that "LISA", Laser Interferometer Space Antenna, is going to change this. I won't be holding my breath.

I fear they are looking for reasons to not let go of the big bang theory. What if dark matter does not exist and the effects are being caused by something else. When faced with the problem of why dark matter cannot be seen nor measured directly they come up with 'Parallel Universes'?! This is beyond me! I believe a simple explanation of gravity and Universal dynamics will be found.

top topics

join