It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elected officials flunk U.S. Constitution quiz (...)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Elected officials flunk U.S. Constitution quiz...

[color=00BFFF]Link

Select group clueless on basic questions over Electoral College, who declares war
Posted: January 14, 2011
9:05 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn
© 2011 WorldNetDaily

In a survey of thousands of Americans, one subset – elected officials – proved particularly clueless on questions about the U.S. Constitution.

In fact, fewer than half could correctly answer such basic questions as "Who can declare war?" and "What are the three branches of government?"

The Intercollegiate Studies Institute reports it conducted the quiz of over 2,500 adults, asking 33 basic civics questions, many taken from nationally recognized instruments like the U.S. Citizenship Exam, including 10 questions related to the U.S. Constitution.

Of the sample size, 164 identified themselves as having been successfully elected to government office – whether federal, state or local positions – but the subset performed even poorer than the national average on questions about the government.

Is it clear now what they are teaching in schools? Not enough civics. George Washington is a quaint ancient historical figure that has become SO legendary that he only exists as a caricature. Virtually unreal.

I took civics in Middle School and High School.

Got a chance to meet our current CIA director [color=00BFFF]Leon Panetta when he was a lowly California congressman.

My 8th grade teacher was a nutjob civics teacher.

Inspiring but also flaming liberal. He still taught the three branches of gov't etc... As much as I hated civics and the teachers' flaming adoration for politicians, some of it still sticks; though I certainly wouldn't do well on a test today.

I'm torn between laughing at our officials for doing so poorly and feeling embarrassed for them.

You'd expect them to at least know who in our gov't declares war. The three branches of gov't ZOMG! or at least have a basic understanding of the electrical college.

In my opinion, it's interesting all the same. Time to beef up learning.
edit on 1·15·11 by DrMattMaddix because: colors and more colors

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This is not surprising. What is worse, is that many know the right answers and consciously choose to disregard them.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
You cant say this is a surprise, all you have to do is watch TV or read the papers to see those governing us know less than we do about the constitution. You could almost wipeout our elected officals by giving them a pop quiz and those that failed it would have to resign

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

Your sig friegtens me and is borderline dangerous. Please edit so that you do not become the target of Govt intrusion.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Ignorance is desired. That way, they can tell you anything and you'll believe it. Same goes for our so-called representatives. They only parrot what their party leadership wants them to parrot.

Talking points are a script for them. The best way to catch them out is at townhall meetings where they can't rehearse.

S+F

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lastrebel

I love that idea, a pop quiz on civics and our government, fail and the elected official is automatically recalled. Better yet make it mandatory to pass the test before running for an important office. A geography test, geared toward politics of the nations, would be good as well.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Constitution, are you serious, are you serious?

The Federal government can do most anything.

I don't care what the Constitution says.

Anyway, no surprise here. They swear an oath to defend the Constitution and say stuff like this. What do you expect? They could care less what the Constitution says.

Tell me folks, what is the LAW? If the government does not follow the LAW that which is derived from the Constitution, why do you or I have to follow the LAW?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

That's nice, but I'd take it one step further. As part of the running process, or before appointment you must take a test to determine if you are qualified.

I worked for a major retailer in college, all applicants had to take a test, it was a lot of personality type questions, some basic math (giving change and such), and some basic legal stuff (discrimination type questions). My point is that it is not uncommon and we would all benefit from its implementation.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

Orrr just ask them when they're campaigning.

There's always Project Vote Smart, you can demand that they answer that questionnaire.

This isn't hard to do...you just participate, that's democracy!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I am absolutely disgusted by this revelation. How can our elected officials fail so horribly on the exact thing they are supposed to control? They are the government officials yet they fail the test about government? Am I supposed to take our government seriously?

Hell I scored better than our elected officials and I am not even 20!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f03e3f4ee9b2.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I also received a 30 out of 33, but I don't know how to take a screen shot. Thank God it wasn't a computer quiz.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to files.abovetopsecret.com... by Misoir

Would you believe it; I was cruising along just fine, then wiped out on the last question.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7e21dcc54824.png[/atsimg]

Punk-ed out on an economics question, no wonder my bank account is always empty.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

Your sig friegtens me and is borderline dangerous. Please edit so that you do not become the target of Govt intrusion.

OMG it just dawned on me. How silly of us. You and me.

I was discussing with the wife what you could possibly be referring to in my signature that could be so bad as to warrant a single post that's completely off topic. Thanks for pointing that out. And here's why it took me a second...

I created the signature about the same time that the AZ law regarding Illegal Immigrants and their documentation status ... Since Obama has sealed nearly ALL of his records tightly AZ would certainly deport an undocumented worker.

Since Obama and his minions are so thin skinned who wouldn't rub salt on such a wuss bag that's afraid to show his records. Everyone has to show documentation just open a bank account.

Regarding my signature... Objectively speaking, anyone can see how the lines can be so completely crossed through time.

This certainly validates (in somewhat parallel to the phrase) "what did they know and when did they know it."
In this case, "when was it created and what was the atmosphere."

No, I'm not implying Obama go get himself killed in AZ. If he goes there, with any luck they will deport him for being an undocumented worker.

Just so that we're clear now. Thank you for pointing out how it can (and probably WILL) be mistaken as a threat. BUT only under the current circumstances of the AZ shooting. It doesn't change my original intent.

His father wasn't a United States Citizen. Fail.

That's enough. Hide the Birth Certificate. That doesn't matter.

edit on 1·15·11 by DrMattMaddix because: some spelling issues

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

OMG it just dawned on me. How silly of us. You and me.

I was discussing with the wife what you could possibly be referring to in my signature that could be so bad as to warrant a single post that's completely off topic. Thanks for pointing that out. And here's why it took me a second...

I created the signature about the same time that the AZ law regarding Illegal Immigrants and their documentation status ... Since Obama has sealed nearly ALL of his records tightly AZ would certainly deport an undocumented worker.

Since Obama and his minions are so thin skinned who wouldn't rub salt on such a wuss bag that's afraid to show his records. Everyone has to show documentation just open a bank account.

Regarding my signature... Objectively speaking, anyone can see how the lines can be so completely crossed through time.

This certainly validates (in somewhat parallel to the phrase) "what did they know and when did they know it."
In this case, "when was it created and what was the atmosphere."

No, I'm not implying Obama go get himself killed in AZ. If he goes there, with any luck they will deport him for being an undocumented worker.

Just so that we're clear now. Thank you for pointing out how it can (and probably WILL) be mistaken as a threat. BUT only under the current circumstances of the AZ shooting. It doesn't change my original intent.

His father wasn't a United States Citizen. Fail.

That's enough. Hide the Birth Certificate. That doesn't matter.

edit on 1·15·11 by DrMattMaddix because: some spelling issues

Thank you for editing you sig. This proves you are a good hearted individual who is rooted in common sense and logic. Thank you! Star for you for being grounded in reality and not a fantasy.

top topics

join