It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tunisia's taste of internet freedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Tunisia's taste of internet freedom

english.aljazeera.net

Like many of its neighbours in the region, Tunisia has long approached the internet as a force to be censored.

Tunisians are barred from accessing a wide variety of sites, from the seemingly innocuous YouTube to sites providing information on human rights in their country.

Yet, in a surprising speech in which Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, the Tunisian president, announced that he will not run again for office, he also promised something long hoped-for by Tunisian netizens: Internet freedom.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Whether or not the online freedom lasts, many Tunisians see the move as a facade, brought about to quash ongoing unrest in the country.

One Twitter user called YouTube "the most expensive website ever", alluding to the fact that the dozens of Tunisians who were killed in the unrest did not die for net freedom. Still another reminded followers that Mohamed Bouazizi did not set himself on fire because he could not get onto YouTube.

*WARNING: This video may be too graphic for some people. Watch with caution!*

The events unfolding in the North African nation of Tunisia is incredibly important to the fight against those who wish to oppress, terrorize, and steal from their own citizens. Let this be a lesson to all tyrants in the Arab world of what happens when you treat your people like cattle. And allow this to be a learning lesson to all the people throughout the Middle East who are being oppressed that there is hope if you are willing to defy authority and stand in solidarity.

One day the tyrants will be gone, let us hope this day is soon upon the horizon.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Tunisia to hold polls in 60 days

Tunisia's constitutional council says the presidential election must be held within 60 days, after placing the country's Parliament speaker in power.

The council, Tunisia's highest legal authority on constitutional issues, decided to formally oust president Zine El Abidin Ben Ali and put Speaker Fouad Mebazaa in charge based on Article 57 of the Constitution.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Giving this thread a BUMP

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I hope this gets more attention.
It is inspiring.
BUMP

Edit: I take it back, inspiring is not the word. Your other thread is inspiring. This one just needs the support of everyone. Internet freedom isn't what those people died for.
edit on 15-1-2011 by SlyFox_79 because: akdsv

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Star and flag.

Pleased to see some ATS members paying attention to the events in this country. There is a revolution going on as the population demands freedom and so I'd have thought Ats would be overrun with excited talk about it.

Yet there seems to be little interest. It's rather disappointing. So many people here talk about wanting to see real freedom and real change, yet when a country rises up to make this happen for itself, and shows how things can change rapidly when the population shows some backbone, few seem interested. I find it strange.
edit on 15-1-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I have always found Tunisia to be an interesting place in the world, esp during the time period of WW2. I hope the best for those people I can't imagine living in a country where the sitting president just ups and leaves, although it is for the better considering the situation. I hope they find a better way of life and learn from past experiences to not repeat history.

new topics

top topics

join