It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Crisis in Arab World

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

No offense taken, what you said is basically true and I agree. Democracy works for a little while until it is bought out by the big players of capitalism. But if the military takes over, it is not going to get any better.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Unfortunately, democratic markets do not work that way and are capitalistic in nature. Oil is only one of the resources that the Tunisa govt owns but is shared by Coporations who fund the infrstracture for oil exploitation while the govt offers the labour, and then gets a cut in profits when the oil is sold. ( and therein lies the corruptions)

Tunisa has also other industries and 11% of its GDP is based on agricultural products. The problem is not about imports of foodstuff that raised the ire of the citizens, but its rising costs by the middlemen and owners who had been profitting immensely from raising their prices arbitarity, while the corrupted govt does nothing such as controlling it or creating govt cooperative food enterprises to break the monopolies held by the elites.

I agree, and you are right in principle, but Tunisia was/is basically a dictatorship as President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali governed from 1987 to 2011. It doesn’t seem so much that he was U.S. but E.U. backed. As almost 75% of Tunisia’s imports and exports are with the E.U. (that part wasn't directed at your reply)

So, the people are really rioting for a bigger, uncorrupt Gov. that has the ability to set food and commodity prices? What do the people really want? Just to get rid of the corruption? Because if there is Gov. there is corruption, they go hand in hand.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
*WARNING: This video contains very graphic material. Watch with extreme caution!*

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Riots in Libya

wlcentral.org...
www.al-bab.com...

Just two days after the overthrow of President Ben Ali in Tunisia, videos are circulating of disturbances in neighbouring Libya. Needless to say, this is causing a good deal of excitement on Twitter.

Colonel Gaddafi has been in power for almost 42 years, compared with a mere 23 for Ben Ali. In his second-to-last speech as president, Ben Ali referred to Gaddafi as "my dear brother" and thanked him for support. In a speech reported by the official Libyan news agency on Saturday, Gaddafi reciprocated:

"I am very pained by what is happening in Tunisia ... Tunisia now lives in fear ... What is this for? To change Zine al-Abidine? Hasn't he told you he would step down after three years? Be patient for three years ..."

Sorry Gaddafi, say whatever you want, try and defend this tyrant, the more you defend him the higher your chances of overthrow grow.

THIS VIDEO IS FROM EGYPT

top topics

<< 1   >>

join