It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magazine uses magnets instead of spring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I've never seen anything like this before. The removal of the spring which may over time break or lose tension or even just get gummed up with dirt and crap would change mags in a big way.

But I wonder how long do magnets last? Will they remain magnetic until intentionally demagnetized or destroyed or will it fade over time?

Either way this is really cool:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
S&F good find, this is pretty cool, it may revolutionize things for ammo/mag storage, I wish i could see inside the magazine, and find out how it is put together so i could recreate this.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I could see this being a big thing or a huge flop depending on how it is built/marketed/priced those 3 factors could either make or break this technology. Personally I am a little old school and believe in good old Occam's razor type approach to weapon system designs, essentially the simplest way to get the job done is usually the best. How many of you have actually had many problems with well designed spring magazines? I mean there's always going to be the real cheap magazines that don't hold up but I for one have some 50+ year old 1911 magazines that with a little preventative maintenance work great. Now don't get me wrong the magnetic magazine tension system does have the potential to improve magazine design but also has the equal potential to be big gimmick with no real world advantages and even if it did have a slight advantage over springs, the cost effectiveness might not swing in the magnets favor. Not to mention in most magazine it is not expensive or difficult at all to swap out the spring/follower. Just my .02.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
never-mind

edit on 14-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I'm not seeing the point. It costs more, does nothing in terms of performance.

I have fired off magazines that had been loaded and stored for over 30 years, which functioned like they were loaded yesterday. During my time in Iraq, our mags always functioned properly, so long as they weren't damaged. Dirt wasn't an issue. Dents and bullet holes were.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
After I started this thread I read some info about heat hurting a magnets ability to remain magnetic.

Not sure if it's true though.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Reply to post by SLAYER69

The cases dont have to be steel. The follower is on a steel rod that is pushed up by the magnets.

Unless I didnt understand the product correctly? Could be. I have no sound at work so I couldnt hear the videos.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Once heated to their curie point, magnetic materials lose all their magnetic properties. It's pretty hot though so I'd be more concerned with burning to death, or all the ammunition going off inside the magazine.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
right, soooo with the steel rod sticking out the bottom the mag is nearly twice as long?

like the gent say's above, if it aint broke, dont fix it

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I guess tacticool weirdness will never end.

new topics

top topics

join