It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do we prevent what we've all been talking about?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
After countless discussions about the shooting in Arizona, I realized we haven't really discussed the Issue.

I had a long conversation today with someone who is known to have mental disorders. The person has been in psyche wards due to court orders, and has history of drug abuse, and once attempted to take their own, or someone elses life during a frantic occurance which lead to the court ordered psyche ward. The person has been released from the ward, and has been prescribed to drugs, and to date, has barely been able to hold their job.

Todays conversation had to do with this person wanting to purchase a gun. They said they wanted to get an AK-47, and I told them that its probably not the best idea. They then continued to say that they were going to get a glock. This person being rather young, once again I said, not the best idea. They insisted they spoke with their mother who said it wasn't such a bad idea, but that an AK is too big for them, though a glock would be ok.

I doubt the mother had this conversation with this person, mainly because I know the mother, and she wouldn't condone such things because she knows her child is too mental for a firearm. This person is a compulsive liar, and just about everything out of their mouth is not worth listening to, as its complete BS.

I don't know how much further I can stretch this story with useful information, so I'll get to the point..

How do we acknowledge the warning signs of a person who may be contemplating serious actions, without violating their personal space, or their rights?

The conversation of the guns ended with this person saying, "I'm on the verge of something.." The fact this compulsive liar couldn't finish their thought of what they are on the verge of is what made me think that they were/are on the verge of, well, something bad..

How do we get through? How do we fix the mental health situation? How can we keep our rights, and still protect the mentally ill from hurting others, or themselves ?

Any opinions are welcome. and if You feel I should do something about this, please... and if you think I should have handled this conversation differently, please..

Its so sad to witness the sad and mentally ill, keep their tormented secrets behind their own eyes, when they are dying to speak..

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

well....................it would seem logical that you would speak to the mother, whom you said you know.

why, you would post this hear without consulting her first is beyond my scope.

it's almost as if you are looking for permission??? well, if everything you posted is correct, then RUN, don't walk to the mother and tell her your concerns....................

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
All people can become mentally ill given the right circumstances.

What one person can cope with, another can't.

I think the statistic stands at something like one in three people will have depression at some point in their lives.

edit on 13-1-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
If you really think he is a danger perhaps you should report his intentions to the authorities. Or speak to his mother about having a psychologist have a look at him, but if he gets a gun report him at once!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
If you have any inclination that this person is going to do something unhealthy for themselves and or others. (Meaning become a human lawn mower) you have an obligation and a duty to get that person help before it happens. To be frank this whole situation outlines a major problem in the US Mental Health. The Mental Health industry has suffered from a wait and see approach for far to long. But that is a whole dif. subject. Take this person to a hospital and have them checked out number one. If the parents are not willing to do so then you can do so. It is important to protect the innocent including this person, do not let them become a victim or a perpetrator,

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ParkerCramer

well this person is question is older than 18. I know the mother, but to me, talking with the mother isn't my place. It's a very odd situation in terms of the relationship, and would like most of that information to remain secret.. though, like I said, this person is older than 18, so telling the mother wouldn't stop this person from purchasing a gun. The mother owns a gun.
I wanted to discuss how we can acknowledge the warning signs and how we could prevent horrible situations. I hope if nothing else, my story could help others find subtle warning signs, if these are infact warning signs.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

I can't imagine that if I brought this person to the doc, that they would let them leave. I would feel horrible for that. They seem like they could be ok in society, well, not in a ward, but they get these thoughts in their head and obsess over it, and lie horribly. Its sad to watch their eyes move and you know where they are trying to get to in a conversation, whether its money or something from you, to con you or get away with something, that they really should just be honest about because the end result isn't bad, just their means of getting there..

Its sad, really..

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

What would be worse watching your friend kill himself or others? I am making an assumption but I think that would be worse. You are obligated as this person's friend to get him treatment. That is what friends are for to get their backs when they need it. And you would be doing just that by doing so. At least in a hospital you can visit this person, you can't in a grave.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
This young woman is obviously a much greater threat to herself then she is to anyone else. I would be more concerned about her depression and encourage her to talk and if possible start some type of physical fitness program where she can begin to feel the joy of accomplishment. Encourage her to have hope in a better future, ask her what her dreams are and hep her create a foundation that will lead toward achieving them academically.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

I wouldn't call myself a friend of this person.. but I do feel an obligation to protect this person. I just feel bad for people who are so empty. How can we allow this?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica

well this person is question is older than 18. I know the mother, but to me, talking with the mother isn't my place. It's a very odd situation in terms of the relationship, and would like most of that information to remain secret.. though, like I said, this person is older than 18, so telling the mother wouldn't stop this person from purchasing a gun. The mother owns a gun.
I wanted to discuss how we can acknowledge the warning signs and how we could prevent horrible situations. I hope if nothing else, my story could help others find subtle warning signs, if these are infact warning signs.

if these were not warning signs, why has it drawn your concern??? like I said, if everything you've said is correct, and you stated that you "know that he did not discuss it with his mother", then you have an obligation to let her know, it does not matter what age he is.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

This has gone on for many years without much notice I am afraid. As a society we push the mentally ill into the streets, ignore vets who need psycho council. And laugh at their remarks instead of being ashamed at ourselves for allowing their state to go unchecked. It is an uncaring world for the mentally handicapped. I feel for you and your dilemma, but do not give up on this person as we have done so many times before.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

well, to me they are warning signs.., but of what severity?... my perception may be way different then others.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
You can simply report this person to the FBI, as that is what everyone is doing anyways, I would imagine. What good it does now is probably less than a few notes worth of information but in the long-term or under the situation of an event then foresight could have been able to play a role in possibly preventing loss of life on any end.

Whose responsibility is it when we are aware of a "potential" murderer psycho killer? Is it the Sheriff? Heck no, I have called them many times about such folks and they always seem to play like a Sheriff. Is it the Police? Same difference but less acting and more Peace and Authority (my view). Is it the Healthcare System? Can we tell a doctor to examine anyone else but ourselves? Hardly seems plausible. It must be the FBI, the Federal Bureau of Investigation then, and they do have a website to report such things.

FBI Tips and Public Leads

I have never actually reported anyone to the FBI, but if I did meet a Psycho killer who was asking about weapons, or fixated on weapons, I would most definitely consider this option. I would first take my concern to the parent/s and then disassociate myself with this individual immediately, which includes the parents. For whatever it is worth most Psychos kill people within their vicinity, most know their victims, at least in my opinion they do; this is why they should be locked up and this is why people need to be proactive in keeping such folks from any close contact. Seriously! I would much rather play dead to a tiger than actively talk to Psycho-bob or Psycho-bev because of an endearment to Psycho-mom.

I am really not surprised that mom has a gun as she is aware of the potential need far more than the average, I would ponder. Sadly, Psycho-child probably knows of mom's gun and that is where the story gets too close to home! Seriously cut these psychos out of your life!

I am currently Psycho-free! Whoo Hooo! It took a while to get this way, believe me!

join