It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ Politician Proposes License Plates For Bicycles

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

NJ Politician Proposes License Plates For Bicycles

philadelphia.cbslocal.com

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – If a proposed bill becomes law in New Jersey, bicyclists will have to pay to register bikes or face a fine.

The bill, introduced by Democratic New Jersey assemblywoman Cleopatra Tucker of Essex, requires owners to register bikes with the Motor Vehicle Commission for $10 dollars a piece or face fines up to $100. A license plate would be issued and will have to be displayed when riding on public roads. Plates would be valid for two years.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.drudgereport.com

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
OK, I have to ask you, YES, Those of you that live in New Jersey.
Does your state really need the funds this badly or is this Democratic New Jersey assemblywoman, just looking for more of your money to spend on some welfare program?

Come-On, It's free to drive into New Jersey, But it cost a small fortune to drive around or leave your state!

The state of Tolls is what my husband call you, Roads and bridges all ready paid for but you all just keep paying and paying and paying.
Been to your state, cost more money to get out than I spent in the 3 days we stayed there. Nice cities and bad roads.

philadelphia.cbslocal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua

Does your state really need the funds this badly or is this Democratic New Jersey assemblywoman, just looking for more of your money to spend on some welfare program?

Looking for more of our money to spend on some welfare program. Do you honestly expect the folks in Compton and Newark to ACTUALLY GO OUT and get themselves jobs?! This law reminds me of "Kyleigh's Law" where teens have to put a red sticker on their car and a whole bunch of other restrictions. You have to of course pay an exorbitant amount of money for this little sticker. I believe we are the only state doing it (unless if I recall Florida is also doing it?). It is completely ridiculous.

But yea this has to be the most ridiculous proposal ever. If it does get passed I hardly see anyone following it. If it does well then the cops down the shore are gonna have a field day with all the bike riders down there..
edit on 13-1-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This sounds like it's just about money.

So you have to pay to register your/a bike or pay a fine.

Then you get a license plate.

Then you get fined for breaking codes and rules that govern road usage, not to mention the many they will probably come up with to make more cash, and having the plate would make you as identifyable as any other vehicle user.

Me thinks Cleopatra Tucker doesn't like cyclists and likes money.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Heck yes - this is a FANTASTIC idea.

Down under (ie Australia) we keep being told 'the road is there to share'. If cyclists are going to share the road, they should be held responsible for their actions in the same way any other user of the road is. Why should cyclists get a free pass?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew

Originally posted by guohua

Looking for more of our money to spend on some welfare program. Do you honestly expect the folks in Compton and Newark to ACTUALLY GO OUT and get themselves jobs?! This law reminds me of "Kyleigh's Law" where teens have to put a red sticker on their car and a whole bunch of other restrictions. You have to of course pay an exorbitant amount of money for this little sticker. I believe we are the only state doing it (unless if I recall Florida is also doing it?). It is completely ridiculous.

But yea this has to be the most ridiculous proposal ever. If it does get passed I hardly see anyone following it. If it does well then the cops down the shore are gonna have a field day with all the bike riders down there..

This is ridiculous, You had to pay for a Red Sticker to put on your car if you're a Teenage Driver
WTF

That is nothing more than a scam to make money. Just like this Bike registration is nothing more than a way to make more money for them to spend.

I know we finally got rid of our free photo ticket money makers. Janet Napalotano ( or how ever you spell her name ) big revenue maker for our state, It wasn't about freeway safety or speeders causing accidents, it was about MONEY for her to spend.
HELL, When the flash went off at night, you would be blinded for 3 or 4 seconds and had to blink your eyes to get the white spot out of your vision so you could see clearly,,, Now That Was Dangerous!
None of us ever paid the tickets, it's come in the mail and we would throw the ticket and picture away!
As a matter of fact, they couldn't mail the tickets to out of state plates.
If was nothing more than a Democratic Money Maker For Their Agendas.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev

Down under (ie Australia) we keep being told 'the road is there to share'. If cyclists are going to share the road, they should be held responsible for their actions in the same way any other user of the road is. Why should cyclists get a free pass?

What bugs me is when I hear a story about a motorist who winds up in court on a manslaughter or other lesser charge because a cyclist CHOSE not to protect themselves with safety gear.

Cyclists can be dangerous road users too, but why is it always the motorists who are responsible for avoidable injuries to a cyclist?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

en.wikipedia.org...

I would not dare live near any of those speed traps at all. Because I would most likely be ticketed every time I hypothetically pass by one of them! Thank The Maker that there are none of those speed traps here in Jersey!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This is insanity. There are so many proposals that become laws without someone sitting down for a moment and considering all of the details and/or unintended consequences, so here's a few I thought of immediately: If this were to become law, would that mean that little 6 year old Jimmy with his training wheels will need to get a license for his bike? Will this include tricycles like a 3 or 4 year old would ride? What about tourist bicycle rentals? How about insurance? Will I need to get bicycle insurance in case I'm in an accident with a motor vehicle? Will there be state bicycle inspections?

I guess it's possible the assemblywoman knows this is never going to pass (at least I hope there is enough sense in New Jersey that it won't) and she's doing this purely as grandstanding or for other reasons, but you just never know. I don't really care what the motivation is, the whole idea is stupid beyond words.

edit on 13-1-2011 by dalloway because: self-edit

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This person needs to be fired immediately after trying to pass this as law.All in favor

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Unfortunately this is a very good argument

Rights without responsibilities?

Can't have one and not the other people!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I believe anybody riding a unicycle or a bathtub on wheels should be given special priveleges.Anybody who rides a bathtub on wheels should be given all the free bubble bath they can use.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I applaud this idea. They've proposed it here in Brisbane, Australia as well and I am all for it. I am tired of cyclists taking up space on the road, getting their own devoted cycle lanes whilst I have to pay $500 AUD for 6 months of vehicle registration when cyclists get to use the roads for free.

Some of you don't seem to understand you're paying for the privilege of cyclists being able to use the roads for free when you renew your vehicle registration. Bring it on and make it mandatory for all cities throughout the world, especially if the money goes back into making the roads safer and better.

$100 a year for registering a bike seems like a fair price to me. Even $200 would be a bargain for cyclists. Maybe limiting this proposal to road cycles, not BMX bikes and just people who ride their little limited gear bike to the shop with a basket on the front.

If you can afford to spend $4000 on a professional bike, you can afford to get it registered..

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This proposal is the finest example of greed and mental illness. This is all about money, to force the people to pay for something what is still free. A question is, who the hell is electing these idiots? Why can't these greedy megaloman idiots simply extinct from the face of this planet?

I already see the following news...
"5 years old kiddo was chased by four NJPD patrol cars and a helicopter for two and a half hours and was fined because his bicycle had no license plate."

Or police events...
"NJPD is looking for a yellow bicycle, license plate#: WINNIE THE POOH, owner, Clara Smith, 4 years old. Charges: exceeding speed limit"
"To all units. We're in a pursuit of a pink bicycle, license plate#: BUNNY, owner, Jennifer Smith, 3 years old, Charges: missing training wheels and speeding charges. Suspect is extremly defiant and considered dangerous. Approach her with caution. She is biting."

The world is a joke. These politicians are a joke. And someone asked me, why can't I take these people seriously at all. Now, this is the answer.

Democracts = Liberals, Liberals = Mental illness. Fine example above.
edit on 13-1-2011 by Sentinel412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Lol reminds me when i was riding my bike around my neighborhood (closed area, only 1 street to get in)
and i saw a cop and i was scared because i didn't have my helmet.

Wonder how kids are going to act if this is in effect.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew
reply to post by guohua

en.wikipedia.org...

I would not dare live near any of those speed traps at all. Because I would most likely be ticketed every time I hypothetically pass by one of them! Thank The Maker that there are none of those speed traps here in Jersey!

Kyleigh's Law (S2314), What a load of B S .
OK, you're under the age of 21 years old and you already higher insurance premiums and you can't drink legally BUT, you can go to war and die.
Makes no sense to me. You have to have a sticker on your car to tell the world, I'm under 21 years old, be overcareful around me when I'm driving, don't worry about me when I'm walking or running or holding hands with the one I love, But when I'm behind the steering wheel, I'm a danger to you and everyone else in New Jersey.

Sorry, I had to Rant,,,, I came to America and drove for the 1st time in my life at the age of ( I'm not telling )
I had to go to driving school twice, the 1st time, they gave the monies back to my husband and refuse to take me out on the road. My husband took me out and taught me to drive.
So I Had To Rant A Little Here, No One But A Sticker On My New Car To Warn The Innocent To Keep Away

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

VERY excellent point! I'd give this 50 stars if I could!!

Bicycle riders should be licensed, after being determined fit to operate a vehicle and aware of the laws governing traffic.

Their bicycles should be subject to inspections for road worthiness and safety.

Then they should be required to purchase (at the very least) liability insurance, and quite possibly collision coverage.

I personally witnessed a fellow commuting on a bicycle violate several basic traffic laws and then CAUSE a major traffic accident that included injuries and at least one fatality - the bike rider himself. I can't help but think that the money generated by licensing could go to dedicated bike lanes and paths that would take cyclists out of the flow of motor vehicle traffic.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
There is one way to stop it:

Critical Mass Bike Rides

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
NJ here. This is ridiculous, my town has gotten weird and I cant see this helping out. My town actually has a helmet law already. Doesn't matter what age, no helmet, you will be ticketed. Kids i can understand but adults? Really?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
NJ here. This is ridiculous, my town has gotten weird and I cant see this helping out. My town actually has a helmet law already. Doesn't matter what age, no helmet, you will be ticketed. Kids i can understand but adults? Really?

Seriously? No offence but that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this site. EVERYONE including children and adults should wear a helmet. What kind of example would adults be setting for their own kids if they didn't wear helmets?

Helmets save lives. They might not stop you losing and breaking limbs, but they do prevent brain injuries and other catastrophic injuries to the head. Helmet laws are vital to saving lives.

Make cyclists who can afford to spend thousands on a professional riding bike pay for licencing for their bike. I, for one am sick of dodging cyclists when trying to drive to work or the shop. The stigma in Australia is if you hit a cyclist it's your fault and it doesn't matter if the cyclists runs a red light (see it everyday), cuts in front of you on a main road (occasionally see this).

Cyclists have fought for equality and want to be treated as motorists too. If you want to be treated as a motorist pay up! This is not about money making, it's about equality. If road users pay, cyclists pay. Some people really need to stop over-analysing this.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join