It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Dear Mr. Skeptic Overlord,

I like you just fine, but I do not like your new avatar. As a leader you should be setting a good example and really, the cigarette needs to go. Now, it is really none of my business what you do in your personal life, but I do expect you to present a "cleaner" image for your public persona. After all, you are our spokesperson.

Thank you for considering my message.

Alethea

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Well said SO. I for one am glad to hear this. Again. But I have to vouch for those who have been here a lot longer than I have. The majority of long time members have my respect, and carry themselves well. And it speaks volumes for ATS as a whole.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Continu the great work

the difference between this forum and all other forums
is that here we do have civility.. lets continu that way

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Thanks, and consider it done.

I too have noticed a negative trend lately.
But it's not at all indicative of the majority on here, I love this site!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This is all and good, but you just warned me and removed a post I made that was made to bring levity into a discussion. Don't go taking it too far.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Well that's unfortunate? Though I agree tempers do flare, but that allows to get into ones pysche....hmmm...sucha a shame~

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I think you are reacting very appropriately, due to the unwarranted attention focused here on ATS by a mentally disturbed individual and a predatory press. I will redouble my efforts to remove my base urges from comments on certain subjects, and instead reflect on what my firery gut wants to say at the moment, and temper my posts accordingly.

Beyond a doubt, ATS is a forum for the free competition of ideas. That's too valuable a resource to lose due to one nutcase.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Dang it! There goes my favorite tool for sparking a civil debate! When folks realize you'll bite 'em on a whim, they find themselves much happier and willing to talk when they realize that you don't.

Ah well, rules is rules... I'm on board! I'll just have to step out for a minute and dust off my "civilized" 3 piece suit...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It would be nice to have the ignore feature back. I agree with what you are saying and I believe it would stop some of this due to there are some members that push this crap and I would rather not see it at all.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I do think there needs to be a 'heads up' but probably those whom cause issues or getting 'inflamed' probably won't read this or pay much attention...

When & if anyone gets 'banned' then maybe to illustrate the wrongdoing ATS could highlight the individuals concerned and the reason / thread why...

Just thinking out aloud..

Cheers

PDUK

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Much kudos and respect.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connman
It would be nice to have the ignore feature back. I agree with what you are saying and I believe it would stop some of this due to there are some members that push this crap and I would rather not see it at all.

I used to think that way as well till someone I ignored posted something that I agree with and totally changed my view on them, funny what happens when you go to the site while not signed into your account. I think the staff will be able to weed out the problem childs on their own. Heres to a New Year and a new outlook ATS!!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
"If this tragedy prompts reflection and debate -- as it should -- let’s make sure it’s worthy of those we have lost.
And if, as has been discussed in recent days, their death helps usher in more civility in our public discourse, let us remember it is not because a simple lack of civility caused this tragedy -- it did not -- but rather because only a more civil and honest public discourse can help us face up to the challenges of our nation in a way that would make them proud." ~ Barack Obama - Tucson Memorial.

It's so easy to slip into the nastiness and disrespect... but I have learned a lot in the past few days about myself. I apologize for my part in the vitriol being slung about. I woke up today on my own, though, thankfully. I love ATS and I really don't like to see us getting caught up in the very thing we fight against: Ignorance...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I agree with the SO. I don't expect to share the same opinions with everybody on this site, but we've had some Newbs come on board with a potty mouth and a serious case of aggression. Civility is an important aspect of this site, and even if conversations get heated, rules is rules...and I like it that way. (you know, unless I happen to get called on the carpet. Then the Mods are wrong
)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

BRAVO, at last this is being highlighted. As a long standing member/bystander, I have noticed this trend for a while and have been voicing my concerns in the threads I am involved with this week. If these characters were to say what they say in real life, they would get a punch in the face.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

well said to you all at ATS. you would think as a so called intelligent species, we would get along with each other. but in reality, we are a gang of out of control 2 year olds. it is time we all grow up.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Thanks for keeping this boat above water.

I've been getting that sinking feeling you described, I'm not without blame, either.

I'll toe the line, and expect it from others who are not on my side of the fence.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

I love how even in the Civility and Decorum thread we get people trolling, and trolling the Chief! Read the T&C!
Avatars may not be sexually explicit, or gory, contain cuss words or mimic any official ATS title. Get off the high horse and let other people be themselves.

civ-il-it-y

— n , pl -ties
1. politeness or courtesy, esp when formal
2. ( often plural ) an act of politeness

de-co-rum

— n
1. propriety, esp in behaviour or conduct
2. a requirement of correct behaviour in polite society

It's very easy.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Benevolent Heretic I'm with you. I often make sarcastic jokes that don't go over well and had my hand slapped. It will not happen again. Mainly cuz I like spankings!

But I promise from this post on to stay on topic and not crack jokes and not to directly accuse, insult or berate anyone on ATS for an opinion. I'll just learn to hold my nose. (I did say after this post! LOL)
nenothtu, I wanna steal your logo. Kudos!

WE ARE ATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join