It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble telescope zeroes in on green blob in space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

The Hubble Space Telescope got its first peek at a mysterious giant green blob in outer space and found that it's strangely alive.

The bizarre glowing blob is giving birth to new stars, some only a couple million years old, in remote areas of the universe where stars don't normally form.

The blob of gas was first discovered by a Dutch school teacher in 2007 and is named Hanny's Voorwerp (HAN'-nee's-FOR'-vehrp). Voorwerp is Dutch for object.

NASA released the new Hubble photo Monday at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Seattle.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

The blob is the size of our own Milky Way galaxy and it is 650 million light years away. Each light year is about 6 trillion miles.

And we learn more about the universe ever day. This found be a 24 year old school teacher. Crazy stuff to think about. And who knows what we'll discover tomorrow.

news.yahoo.com

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Swamp Gas.

Really, nothing interesting at all.
S+F
edit on 10-1-2011 by DamaSan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
looks like somebody already beat you to the punch par'dner...

ATS Thread

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It's mind boggling just how huge the universe is, 6 trillion miles equals a light year, I never knew this and this blob is 650 million light years away. How some people think we are the only inhabitants I will never ever understand.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl
looks like somebody already beat you to the punch par'dner...

ATS Thread

I know it must get on members nerves when threads are repeated but I and I"m sure many others didn't see it.
Interesting but I will worry when it gets a bit closer.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Weird yet cool... Maybe we just caught God / Programmers of the Universe using the cheat engine to add more stars. Its in a section where stars dont normally exist....

What we have here is a classic example of God / Universal IT Programmers taking their lead from Sony and their MMORPG games. Put it in game even though its not functional, and come back to it when they make some money to pay for the programming for it.

The question now becomes is the expansion free, or are we going to have to pay for it?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Now THAT... is awesome! Birth of new stars just out there, in the middle of nowhere. Makes you wonder what else may be out there.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal

news.yahoo.com

The Hubble Space Telescope got its first peek at a mysterious giant green blob in outer space and found that it's strangely alive.

The bizarre glowing blob is giving birth to new stars, some only a couple million years old, in remote areas of the universe where stars don't normally form.

The blob of gas was first discovered by a Dutch school teacher in 2007 and is named Hanny's Voorwerp (HAN'-nee's-FOR'-vehrp). Voorwerp is Dutch for object.

NASA released the new Hubble photo Monday at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Seattle.

Where stars DONT normally form?????

Where the hell did they get this information? I'm sorry but how the hell would anyone know where stars normally form????

edit on 11/1/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join