It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They finally admit the debt. Get ready.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Well; when the msm starts with this I hope you have have some food cause you sure can't eat gold.CBS

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
14 TRILLION??!! They may as well just give up. They'll never pay it off.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625

ur right
they will never pay that off
unless they hand over the keys
of America to the Chinese,
lock, stock and barrel

and they want to raise the debt ceiling ???
are they [snip] nuts ????

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I don't even see the point in paying off any of the debt as it continues to pile up at an increasing rate. The money that is loaned to them may as well be given as a gift and not expected to be repaid since they can't seem to repay it anyways.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I disagree, they could pay this off – but it will take time and the cooperation of the American people.

Our nation’s debt is like a gigantic credit card bill.

Like all credit card bills, they can be paid off, but may just take time.

Unfortunately, we Americans, are the ones footing the bill.

If you listen to any good financial planner they will tell you that one of the first steps to paying off your debt is to rid yourself of the excess you don’t need: Cable Television, Internet, extra expenses like new clothing (go to good-will), etc.

We, as a nation, are going to have to stop consuming, stop the flagrant spending on social programs that don’t work, stop sending out money elsewhere, stop fighting wars that are only going in circles, etc.

The way out of debt, as anyone with common since knows, is to stop spending and start paying – but the lack of luxury sucks and most people don’t want to do that.

Instead of planning for the future and ensuring that our children will live in a world that is a world of plenty, the powers that be have decided to live for today and spend, spend, spend.

Just my thoughts – for what they are worth.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Tell me again why the US currency is still so strong and why almost everything in the world is traded in US dollars?
edit on 4/1/2011 by celeritas because: Edited to highlight that this is sarcasm!!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
They are doing it on purpose. So the IMF can drag its ugly ass in here
and enslave everyone. It's been their plan all along. The IMF lays waste
to everything it touches. If there is a devil it would be the IMF.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle

We, as a nation, are going to have to stop consuming, stop the flagrant spending on social programs that don’t work, stop sending out money elsewhere, stop fighting wars that are only going in circles, etc.

How will Americans stop consuming help the debt? So we can give more and more of the money WE have worked for to a government who isn't responsible enough to handle the money they already take from us? Consumption is what runs our economy. The government needs to stop spending,not us. There is enough wasteful spending in our gov't that the debt could be wiped out in a few years. That, and maybe we should start recouping loans we have given other countries, that haven't paid us back yet.
edit on 4-1-2011 by dialecticchaos77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Not raises the debt ceiling could cause a lot of problems, from crashing the market and basically bringing the US to an end, to, at worst, causing a possible WWIII scenario. Not many countries will be happy if we go bust.

Anything is possible tho.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

They could pay it off within a large range of time, but they won't. The national debt has never been $0 and it never will be. People will always owe other people something, whether it be money or goods. I'm not willing to give up my "excess" expenses to help this nation. I hate this nation anyways and I'm not buying crappy-looking clothes from a thrift store. Their problems are not my problems.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

How will Americans stop consuming help the debt? So we can give more and more of the money WE have worked for to a government who isn't responsible enough to handle the money they already take from us? Consumption is what runs our economy. The government needs to stop spending,not us. There is enough wasteful spending in our gov't that the debt could be wiped out in a few years. That, and maybe we should start recouping loans we have given other countries, that haven't paid us back yet.

A nation consists of two parts (with a large picture view): The people and The Government.

We, the people, are in a symbiotic relationship with the government. What affects one will directly affect the other.

But to the point, we as a nation import (consume) more goods a year than we export. This could be considered a leak in our money supply – so to speak. I am referring to the Nation as a whole, not just pointing a finger at only one half of the Body of America.

So you see, you and I agree, by you stating that “consumption is what ruins our economy”.

We can point the finger only at the government, but in my opinion, I believe this is wrong – because we are on this ship together. If one goes down, we will all get hurt.

As far as recouping loans that we have given to other countries – I couldn’t agree more. I think you hit the nail right on the head with that one.

They could pay it off within a large range of time, but they won't. The national debt has never been $0 and it never will be. People will always owe other people something, whether it be money or goods. I'm not willing to give up my "excess" expenses to help this nation. I hate this nation anyways and I'm not buying crappy-looking clothes from a thrift store. Their problems are not my problems.

I agree – they won’t.

People will always be in debt to someone, this is true.

That’s fine, don’t give up your “excess” expenses to help this nation. I was not asking you to. I was simply making a comparison of our national debt to personal credit cards – as I believe they function with the same principles.

Our Nation has to give up some of our excess spending, such as social programs that don’t work, etc.
I should have made my point more clear.

You said you hate this nation… I have never understood this mentality.

Let me ask you this ( realize it is off topic and I apologize to the OP ) – what do you think would happen in North Korea or China if you were to make such a statement?

Do you not realize that this is one of the only nations that you could say something like that and not have any punishments brought down on you for saying it?

Yes, this nation has some problem, anyone can see that – but so do other nations.

If you hate this nation so much, then don’t be as a hypocrite and continue to live here. Go somewhere else where you can love the nation… Just my opinion. But my guess is that after living in such a nation, you will begin to see it has problems too and probably more problems than America has.

I have had the experience to actually live in other nations and realize how lucky I am to live in this nation.

Despite all of our problem, again in my opinion, this is the best nation to live in – and I think God that I was blessed to be here.

edit on 4-1-2011 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Saying it's the People's debt is like blaming an employee for your business going belly up. Our government has made piss poor decisions, spent wastefully, and refuses to downsize and tighten their belt. We're the most taxed country in the world. Passing along any more cost to us is not only abhorrent and honestly counter productive, but the people are maxed out as it is. You'd be better off getting blood from a stone.

Raising the debt ceiling is like you or me maxing out a credit card and then getting the limits raised when we shouldn't have ever maxed it out to begin with. I for one am getting tired of paying for them. If they can not or are not willing to live within their means, they need to go.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

First of all, I don't have the money to move to another country. Secondly, I realize what would happen to me if I made that statement in a communist or dictatorship country. Lastly, the main reason for my hatred towards America is religion. The religious statements and assertions get on my nerves. "God bless America!", "Thank god I'm blessed to live here!", "In god we trust!"... At least some citizens of particular countries (like Sweden or Australia) realize the problem with making unsupported assertions that are based on myths from a heavily edited copy of an ancient text. Sure, there may be more atheists and non-religious people in this country now than ever before, but other countries have a lot more of them than this one. In my opinion, a less brainwashed country is a better country. I don't go around saying "America is the best nation in the world! I'm so blessed to live here!" That's one of the most retarded and embarrassing things I could ever say, especially since it's false.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

ur right
they will never pay that off
unless they hand over the keys
of America to the Chinese,
lock, stock and barrel

and they want to raise the debt ceiling ???
are they [snip] nuts ????

In reality the vast majority of the money is owed to the Federal Reserve. Remember that the Federal Reserve is a private bank the US government goes to loan its own money.

Total debt owed to foreign countries is about 4.5 Trillion.
US Debt Clock
Under trade numbers you will see debt held by foreign countries.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

First of all, I don't have the money to move to another country. Secondly, I realize what would happen to me if I made that statement in a communist or dictatorship country. Lastly, the main reason for my hatred towards America is religion. The religious statements and assertions get on my nerves. "God bless America!", "Thank god I'm blessed to live here!", "In god we trust!"... At least some citizens of particular countries (like Sweden or Australia) realize the problem with making unsupported assertions that are based on myths from a heavily edited copy of an ancient text. Sure, there may be more atheists and non-religious people in this country now than ever before, but other countries have a lot more of them than this one. In my opinion, a less brainwashed country is a better country. I don't go around saying "America is the best nation in the world! I'm so blessed to live here!" That's one of the most retarded and embarrassing things I could ever say, especially since it's false.

Again, there is no “perfect” nation.

I don’t understand why a religious stance of a nation would determine if you hate it or not.

I’ll be honest with you, I am of Christian background and claim Christianity.

I suppose it’s the mindset you have, being an Atheist, but I don’t get angry at people for not believing in God.

But, I realize that the majority of the population is religious and I don’t imagine I would like it very much if the majority of the country was atheist and I was a minority that believed in God. Maybe I would be bitter about it – I don’t’ know. I hope I never have to find out. As I believe people who believe in a higher power are usually happier than those that do not.

I don’t think it is “retarded” to believe this is the best nation in the world, or that I’m lucky and blessed to live here. It is a matter of opinion – much like choosing to believe in God or to be atheist. I am simply judging from what I have seen of other countries, such as Japan, Germany, England, Canada, China, etc.

So, in my opinion I think the USA is the best country in the world – and I’m not brainwashed at all, I simply respond to real life experiences and what I’ve seen with my own two eyes and not the propaganda other countries would have me believe – nor the propaganda this country would have me believe (yes I do realize this country spews propaganda too, lol.

In reality the vast majority of the money is owed to the Federal Reserve. Remember that the Federal Reserve is a private bank the US government goes to loan its own money.

Total debt owed to foreign countries is about 4.5 Trillion.
US Debt Clock
Under trade numbers you will see debt held by foreign countries.

Yes, the Federal Reserve is one major source of our problems...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thewanger

"That would be the first default in history caused purely by insanity," said Goolsbee of plans to block an increase in the Debt Ceiling.

:lol

I guess this guy never bothered to take any history.

Hey Dude how about googling 1934 and 1971???

"Mr. Chairman, we have in this Country one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board and the Federal Reserve Banks, hereinafter called the Fed. The Fed has cheated the Government of these United States and the people of the United States out of enough money to pay the Nation's debt. The depredations and iniquities of the Fed has cost enough money to pay the National debt several times over.

"This evil institution has impoverished and ruined the people of these United States, has bankrupted itself, and has practically bankrupted our Government. It has done this through the defects of the law under which it operates, through the maladministration of that law by the Fed and through the corrupt practices of the moneyed vultures who control it.

"Some people who think that the Federal Reserve Banks United States Government institutions. They are private monopolies which prey upon the people of these United States for the benefit of themselves and their foreign customers; foreign and domestic speculators and swindlers; and rich and predatory money lender. In that dark crew of financial pirates there are those who would cut a man's throat to get a dollar out of his pocket; there are those who send money into states to buy votes to control our legislatures; there are those who maintain International propaganda for the purpose of deceiving us into granting of new concessions which will permit them to cover up their past misdeeds and set again in motion their gigantic train of crime.... Congressman McFadden

I am collecting feathers, any one got any tar???

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
They can always print 14 Trillion dollars and call it quantitative easing.
Oh they're already doing that?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Debt to Whom ? Us is owning 14 trilion to Who?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

There are plenty of god believers who are unhappy as well, such as the women who are oppressed by their husbands and the churches and even the children who are indoctrinated to believe something instead of being allowed to decide for themselves. I have my opinions and you have yours, but when I said that it would be retarded for me to display false pride in a country that I don't care about, that means it is true for me.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

You are correct. They will never pay it off.

The truth is 'YOU' will be paying this off. Your taxes will be used to pay this off instead of being used for what they should be.

I live in Ireland. The debt we are in now, we won't even be able to afford the interest charges never mind the actual debt. The IMF and EU are treating us with kid gloves at the minute but it will get to the stage where everything will be used to pay the debts. This is how it works.

People got too big for thier boots. The banks are taking back control and very few people will escape poverty.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join