It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police State - Illegal to Record On-Duty Police Officers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Its an intimidation tactic, and one that I cant believe will hold up for scrutiny.

Personally, I believe what needs to happen is that citizens need to start carrying cameras that can stream directly to the internet. Arrest all you want, but once somethings on the net theres no taking it back.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
What is need is some sort of system whereby the camera is uploading the video whilst recording.

That way when the police steal your camera, you still have the recording of the crimes you caught them committing.

*I bet such an app/program already exists for this purpose.

edit on 4-1-2011 by Exuberant1 because: edit for hivemind detected.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
What is need is some sort of system whereby the camera is uploading the video whilst recording.

That way when the police steal your camera, you still have the recording of the crimes you caught them committing.

*I bet such an app/program already exists for this purpose.

edit on 4-1-2011 by Exuberant1 because: edit for hivemind detected.

Beat you to it

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
As soon as I finished reading this, I went to the website for the Governor of Ilinois and wrote a letter with the parts of the article pasted in along with my comments. I doubt there will be any action taken on this, like repealing it, but at least it may show them we ARE paying attention to what they're doing. We just got rid of a bunch of lazy crooks at the polls, we can do it again if those in office now don't get it right. If you live in one of these states, start writing letters to your governors. Let'em know we're not gonna take this.
edit on 4-1-2011 by DAVID64 because: mis-spelling a word

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisterMiyagi
So let me get this straight.

Law abiding members of the public can be filmed in stores , on the streets and driving their vehicles on the highway and just about anywhere as they go about their daily lives but those same law abiding citizens cannot film on duty police officers that may abuse their powers as witnessed in the Rodney King scandal in order to protect themselves when confronted by abusive police officers in similar circumstances?

God help us all.

All this means is the police are NOT law abiding citizens.

Simple.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moose318
@ stirling Just curious....Is your spelling and grammar, a tactic to stay under the radar on google searches?
edit on 3-1-2011 by Moose318 because: (no reason given)

It is an acceptable form of communication these days, I mean this is an "internet communication thing" and not a grammar school. U GET USED 2 IT..

So they told me, even mods agreed when someone else posted a thread regarding the illiteracy of the common internet poster. You just have to deal with it, and if you don't, you're a grammar nazi!

Just replying to a question here, not off topic. Saving you the hassle.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
It's funny, when the citizenry complain about being watched by big brother they say "if you have nothing to hide you shouldn't worry about it" Well How about we tell them the same?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Pat Quinn is a fool of a puppet, people fail to realize that the real reason they ousted Blagojevich was because he wasn't playing by the rules according to TPTB, he kept a great deal of his promises, one which was not to raise taxes, the greedy politicians didn't like that they were not getting their cut, and like Blago said, if the feds wire tap anyone in government they would have evidence for far greater things than what he was charged with, which by the way I believe only one charge stuck .. yeah convicted on only 1 of 24 counts. Pat Quinn is gonna be a good lap dog and do what the people above him tell him to do. The state of Illinois is a joke, corruption is rampant ind almost every single municipality/copunty etc..

Mayor Daley had his bad days but I actually like the way he ran things despite the corruption, he still contributed to the people I think, yeah, many things are questionable, but over all he kept Chicago from falling into decay like Detroit, and Gary, The Steel Mills were shut down here too but he pulled it off, sad to see him leave.

Quite a bit of Chicago Police officers don't deserve their badge, but many of them do, Many abuse their power and having cameras on them would keep them in check, and that should go for LEO's across the nation.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I'm not hating on this site, but instead of us all wildin' out on here, why doesn't someone write a strongly worded letter and we all sign it? I don't know, we just need to actually ACT if we want the slightest chance of protecting our rights. It is atrocious.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
This cant be true. They always say it is illegal and whatnot but there has never been a court case that would uphold such a charge. In US it's constitutional right and the whole wiretapping thing does not come to play unless there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. One state however doesn't seem to get it put can't remember which one it was.
Have to get back to this when I get back from work.

Simon Glik and Christopher Drew are two prominent cases. The Simon Glik arrest has been thrown out by the courts. An Illinois judge rejected a motion to dismiss the Christopher Drew case - where he is being tried for illegal filming and a possible 4 to 15 year sentence.

On his website Drew wrote, "Myself and three other artists who documented my actions tried for two months to get the police to arrest me for selling art downtown so we could test the Chicago peddlers license law. The police hesitated for two months because they knew it would mean a federal court case. With this felony charge they are trying to avoid this test and ruin me financially and stain my credibility."

In the case of Chris Drew, he tried to get arrested on peddling so he could bring the issue to a federal court to claim it violated the constitution. Illinois arrested him, as he wanted, but then dropped the peddling charge, voluntarily (how nice of them), and trumped up the illegal filming charge. The move was to thwart having the peddling charge heard before the higher courts and to financially ruin Drew. Ten months after December 2009 he was still in the courts with a hearing set in October 2010. I cannot find any update after that.
edit on 1/4/2011 by ararisq because: Wrong year.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
There's no way they could uphold that charge in court. That would raise a s#%tstorm from photoactivist etc. and I do keep an eye out for that stuff. If anyone has links to the Drew case btw please post. Would be nice to read how it is going.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
In the US there are TV shows where cops show of their own activities!!!!

There are cops who put their own experiences from their own patrol vehicle camera on the Internet.

They can film us but we cant film them?

They can show of crocks but we cant film a crooked cop!

I am glad i am not living in a police state like the US. The people who call them selves the luckiest and freest people alive.

The US who advertise that they fight for everyone's freedom and rights. Jesse's what a joke.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Those LEA in power don't wish to be caught in their corrupt actions. What better way than to " Outlaw " video graphic evidence? Last time I checked, the 4th Amendment protected you, and protected your " persons ". If you have a camera on you, that should fall under the 4th.

The police state is growing, and gaining momentum with each turn. Alex Jones may not have been so far off after all. I bet those who opposed Alex are scratching their heads now.

4th Amendment:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Here's a few good reads on the police state:

source: Cops’ Use of Illegal Steroids a ‘Big Problem’

source: Big Sis Strikes Back: Agents Raid Home of Pilot Critical of TSA

source: Austin Woman Thrown to Floor, Arrested for Refusing Pat Down at Airport

source: Tyranny Response Team Exposes Mobile Guard Tower

link: www.infowars.com...

edit on 4-1-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

If this is an intimidation tactic as you claim, how would you explain these mobile police guard post popping up through out the country?

link: www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The closest thing I have found to an instant download for cameras is a "Eye-Fi" - wifi sd card. It is limited but is an option.

Oops, not "download" - upload
edit on 4-1-2011 by fisheye because: change load direction

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. Thomas Jefferson

edit on 4-1-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I can't emphasize enough: One thing we don't want to do is amend the constitution a.k.a. " call a constitutional convention" Once its opened for"adjustment" The people will lose big time. We seemingly have no control over our elected legislators on simple day to day matters..Do you wanthe lobbyists and corporations having a permanent input into the very foundations of the country?

The constitution is fine as it exist. We need to figure why its not being enforced
edit on 4-1-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
can some one please show me the LAW / S that sais you cant do it ?

from what i know there are policies and and bills but no REAL WRITTEN LAWs that say you cant

sure they can call it disordely conduct but that is a just a subjective notion and not real LAW
and most officers of the law forget that the law goes both ways meaning if it applies to me then it applies to "you" aswell,

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Things are becoming very intrusive and very protective for those who may want to abuse their power over the citizens. Those encroachments were having a negative effect on my attitude. I had a change of attitude when I made a change of latitude.

My feelings about the US building a fence along the Mexican border is that I support it fully. It may be something that will benefit Mexico greatly in the years to come.

edit on 4-1-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I guess that means that all of those red-light cameras are illegal, since they film cops going through intersections.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join