It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's ancient history...let it go

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I'm really sick of seeing things on here about how Christians are violent and evil because of things that happened 400 years ago. If we're going to club the Christians, can we please point out something relevant and reasonably contemporary? Goodness knows there are plenty of modern examples of the pitfalls of the Christian religion without resorting to things that happened half a millennium ago. In the case of the Crusades, it was a whole millennium ago. The witch trials, the Inquisition, the Crusades...these are atrocities that have nothing to do with modern Christians, and the perpetrators are dust in the wind. It's ancient history...let it go.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

How about paedophilia commited by "men of the cloth" and the church's abhorrent attempt to hide it? Doesn't get much more evil that that. Contemporary enough for ya?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

It has everything to do with today. This is how the darn christian scene started. Without the killing of others to persue your christian heritage and the hold that christianity has on the world today would cease to exist.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I feel sorry for Christians because they lack confidence in themselves so they turn to God.

And I am not beating Christians to death to make them abandon their religion.

I am also not burning them on pyres for their rituals.

No one's harming Christians - wake up!

And to hear "It's ancient history - let it go!" from a Christian.

Christianity is ancient history let it go - Jesus died 2000 years ago - let it go.
Bible was written long long time ago - it's ancient history - let it go!

Cheers!
^__^

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
That ancient history has caused mucho problems in my life.

Im a Jewish believer in Yeshua.

And knowing full well that Yeshua set me free from religion I have had no problems, as a soldier, with putting certain folks of whatever tribe on their ass.

Some use ancient history to justify their inherant bigotry and likewise, i have no problem with knocking them out..

Infact I quite enjoy it!

Must be the English in me..

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by archasama

Partly agree, Partly disagree

I feel sorry for Christians because they lack confidence in themselves so they turn to God.

100% agree they need to utilise their own inner strength & drive better, not pray for someone or something to hand it to them on a platter!

No one's harming Christians - wake up!

100% disagree! As pointed out by other posters Christians are harmed emotionally & sexually by people of their own faith. Christians are victims of the Extremist Muslim threat. having said that people of all religions are harmed. An example would be the extremist Muslims constantly are harming the moderate & non practicing muslims for not being more orthodox!

Christianity is ancient history let it go - Jesus died 2000 years ago - let it go. Bible was written long long time ago - it's ancient history - let it go!

Exactly 100% right. jesus & the bible pre date nearly all the atrocities committed by christians. So yeah OP if you feel that way you must forget Jesus & the bible as they are more ancient history than the crimes!. You cannot have it both ways or pick & choose what you think is relevant - consistency! So OP what is your choice?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by archasama

Believing in some imaginary being has nothing to do with lack of confidence. That's the stupidest correlation I've ever heard.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Religion in general is all about ancient history, and its not even historical fact though most religious authorities consider it that way.

i wish people would let it go...

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Priests molestering young boys? (Yeah and this is the man preaching and asking you to belive)
Go back around 50-60 years, the kidnapping of Aboriginal kids, and forcing them to become Christians.
Hate towards homsexuals.
''God hates fags'' who are they to say what god hates and what he doesnt?
P.s is not hate a sin?
Hypocites.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mentalistbee
Priests molestering young boys? (Yeah and this is the man preaching and asking you to belive)
Go back around 50-60 years, the kidnapping of Aboriginal kids, and forcing them to become Christians.
Hate towards homsexuals.
''God hates fags'' who are they to say what god hates and what he doesnt?
P.s is not hate a sin?
Hypocites.

yes all good points! Also the "legal kidnapping" of "white kids" as well, equally as bad as Aboriginal children! . Single mums in that time were shamed & humiliated to give up their children to Christian homes & make them sign adoption papers whilst still under the influence of pain relieving drugs administered during the birth!

Also when there is a natural disaster the "missionaries" move in to help, educate & rebuild on the condition they convert to their religion! What ever happened with true charity, giving without expecting anything in return! There is always a catch! Hypocritical - agreed!

So yeah not so ancient history!

edit on 2-1-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I've got a Shizz List going back to 76. I've got detailed plans for the people who have wronged me.

One involves sticking up a guy with his own gun.

Several others involve arson and complex revenge plots.

I should let these things GO?

These people screwed me over - I HAVE TO get even!

What? Wait - let it go?

I can't...... I'm sick of dwelling on it all, but - I can't.....

Hmmmm............

Maybe you might have an idea here........

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I'm really sick of seeing things on here about how Christians are violent and evil because of things that happened 400 years ago. If we're going to club the Christians, can we please point out something relevant and reasonably contemporary?

how 'bout all those "witches" getting set on fire all over Africa
and gays too

" they eatta the poopoo"
edit on 2-1-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

I'm really sick of seeing things on here about how Christians are violent and evil because of things that happened 400 years ago. If we're going to club the Christians, can we please point out something relevant and reasonably contemporary?

how 'bout all those "witches" getting set on fire all over Africa
and gays too

" they eatta the poopoo"
edit on 2-1-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit

They aint Christians or more accuratly "of the way"

They are power hungry religious morons that God has a special place in hell for,

Right beside the name it and claim it idiots..

Religion robs God of the freedom given through His Son..

Who made us free indeed!

Religion is anti christ and they wont be able to blame the demon of whatever when they stand before God!

God says " there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth" in the religious world.

Read Mathew 23 and see what God thinks of religious morons!

They mock the Son of Gods blood on the cross and bring it to scorn and no effect..

However His Son made us free indeed by His blood because He is the Law that was broke for us on the cross so that those who see His Son would be saved.

Set free

And thats it.

Grace.
edit on 2-1-2011 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

If we're going to club the Christians, can we please point out something relevant and reasonably contemporary?

As pointed out, Christianity is currently dealing with very relevant and contemporary abominations (i.e. the child sex abuse scandal, and its coverup)....

Of course, other religions have their own demons (Islam with radical terrorism, Scientology's cult practices, the Jews' treatment of Palestinians, etc., etc.)

What I'd really like to see laid to rest are things like you mentioned, and this.

SLAVERY (in the usual reference, i.e. America) - Get over it. Nobody alive dealt with this firsthand, it's ancient history. There's even an African American President, so any cries of "the man" doing "this or that" are now patently absurd.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Its because people are stupid.

People just dwell on the past.

Its obvious most people who talk trash on Christians don't understand that (atleast were i'm from) Maybe 10% actually believe any of the crap, the church is a community thing. They don't go to learn about god and jesus, they go to support others, to help each other out when in need, to band together in the community, to unite everyone.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Ever heard of Northern Ireland's "troubles" . Christian Falnagists in Lebanon or the unholy union of the Neocons and the US Churches???

If people did not choose fundamentalism above tolerance the OP would have been unneccesary.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

well i think most christians/moslems/[insert belief system here]
are too busy trying to be human and take care of their family
to be getting into mischief
if that's what you're saying, spot on.

if you're agreeing with the OP, then no, you are worse than wrong
cause all this "its ancient history" crap is just cover up :

sure, lets forget about slavery
that way when when we are confronted with the facts
we get a "insufficient data" response from our brains

consider all those white majority, low population states in America who just happen to be chock full of prisons, full of black people who dont have a vote but get counted during census time which translates to more money for said states, hmmm? forget about slavery its not affecting anyone today
institutionalized racism? nahhh no such thing we've even got a black president [actually may be the 6th or 7th]

new topics

top topics

join