It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's all a humbug A HUMBUG!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Christmas is a Humbug

Humbug is an old term meaning hoax or jest. While the term was first described in 1751 as student slang, its etymology is unknown. Its present meaning as an exclamation is closer to 'nonsense' or 'gibberish', while as a noun, a humbug refers to a fraud or impostor, implying an element of unjustified publicity and spectacle. The term is also used for certain types of candy.

en.wikipedia.org...

Rampant consumerism, avarice and greed.

It's a fraud, lost all meaning. What Christmas is supposed to be about is family, friends, and good cheer.

Let's hope you all don't have a Humbug Christmas, and have a happy New Year.

edit on 12/24/2010 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
You mean like this?

Sorry you feel humbugish....sending you holiday hugs WYK
I avoided humbuggishness by not doing any shopping. I made all my gifts this year, mainly art and cards and some food. No need to swarm with the masses, just sit back and be grateful for the good things that you mention, friends, family and a little peace these holidays...

Peace,
spec
edit on 24-12-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

Ex

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Put your problems on probation
Run your troubles off the track,
Throw your worries out the window
Get the monkeys off your back.
Silence all your inner critics
With your conscience make amends,
And allow yourself some happiness
It's Christmas time again!

Call a truce with those who bother you
Let all the fighting cease,
Give your differences a breather
And declare a time of peace,
Don't let angry feelings taint
The precious time you have to spend,
And allow yourself some happiness

Like some cool refreshing water
Or a gentle summer breeze,
Like a fresh bouquet of flowers
Or the smell of autumn leaves,
It's a banquet for the spirit
Filled with family, food and friends,
So allow yourself some happiness

Merry Christmas to All

EX

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Happy humbug to you, then. And a happy new year.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Do you know what isn't a Humbug?

The Christmas Day Cease Fire of 1914

“Peace on Earth, Good will toward men.” It is a difficult concept to have hoped for, in war time. Yet in December of 1914, Good will was so desired that it was achieved among soldiers of Britain, Germany, France and Belgium, despite opposition from some commanding officers.

The winter of 1914 was a particularly harsh one. Along a 27 mile western front through Belgium and France enemies faced each other from as little as 30 to 70 yards away. Soldiers were cold and miserable in muddy frozen trenches. Each side could not help but wonder about the person they were facing. Surely they were miserable too. Could the enemy possibly be as bad as they had been told?

December 1914 was the fifth month of what would turn out to be a 52 month war. Pope Benedict XV had suggested a temporary cease fire to allow for the celebration of Christmas. Many officials were reluctant.
However, soldiers and their families were not. On Christmas Eve, German soldiers began to decorate their trenches with small evergreen trees that had been sent from home. The trees were lit with candles. Initially, British soldiers suspected a trap; however, as they began to hear Christmas Carols being sung, they dared to think otherwise.

With trenches in such close proximity, the soldiers exchanged carols. At one point both sides sang the same carol. Often the two sides would exchange pleasantries such as “Merry Christmas to you.” The unofficial cease fire continued throughout Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Opposing soldiers met in “No Man’s Land” the area between the opposing trenches. There they exchanged gifts of cigarettes and food. If words could not be understood, gestures were used. In one remarkable event German and British soldiers engaged in a game of soccer. The game continued until the ball was popped on barbed wire.

On a more somber note, the truce also allowed for the dead to be buried. In rare instances, joint services were held for the fallen. For the majority, the truce lasted for only the Christmas celebration; however, in some areas along the 27 mile western front the Christmas truce lasted through the New Year. Peace on Earth; Good will toward men had prevailed even in wartime. Inevitably war returned and continued for another 47 months.

www.vamortgagecenter.com...

That was a day that the true meaning of Christmas stood out.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Happy humbug day wukky!

I hate the consumerism as well. Here's to hoping that everyone receives the spirit of brotherly love no matter what they believe in on Christmas day.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
bleh my xmas truely is a HUMBUG

do as i do, take one day at a time praying for the end of the world and by the next day if it failed to end hide under the bed while singing barbie girl.. or any other song you hate . trust me you ll feel better ...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

You mad Wuk? I'm guessing Santa didn't bring you your blow up Lindsay Lohan doll? Again? Fear not my friend, fear not... I hear Big Lots has them for $12.00 starting tomorrow for the after Humbug sale!

Oh and Merry Christmas you miscreant!

~Heff

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

You mad Wuk? I'm guessing Santa didn't bring you your blow up Lindsay Lohan doll? Again? Fear not my friend, fear not... I hear Big Lots has them for $12.00 starting tomorrow for the after Humbug sale!

Oh and Merry Christmas you miscreant!

~Heff

lmao heff good one .. leave it to you to out do me in humor ....

new topics

top topics

join