It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 5 Worst 9/11 Memorials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
There are many local and national memorials depicting the feelings of 9/11. Many are moving and I like the ones giving homage to the rescue workers & first responders on that day. However these are considered the top 5 worst memorials. The monuments here are controversial, insensitive and slightly offensive according to Vigilant Citizen and thought this would be a nice change of pace rather than posting "how 911 was done" as if we don;t have enough of that already. Enjoy!

#1- Crescent of Embrace below. Many say it is a tribute to muslims who embraced islamic radical ideas. To me it looks like the China symbol and a little like Turkey's flag.

#2 Teardrop Memorial below. 100-foot-tall bronze tower with a jagged split down the middle and a 40-foot-long stainless steel teardrop suspended in the gap.

3- All Seeing Eye Memorial. Many have theorys as to why this used.

The centerpiece of the work is an elliptical glass and stone mosaic floor, with a micro mosaic eye at the center of an ultramarine vortex with the image of the City of New York woven into the picture. This All-Seeing Eye, placed right under the actual Ground Zero sends shock-waves around the world. Those of you who know the myth of the eye of Horus, where Osiris experiences rebirth in the underworld, will surely find it interesting that this eye is located below ground level…in the “underworld”.

#4 Polish Plaque.

This plaque was installed at the base of the KATYN statue in New Jersey, which directly faced the Twin Towers. The statue (which is also depicted on the plaque), is of a wounded WWII soldier getting stabbed in the back…a little like America who got stabbed in the back on 911.

#5 Boston Memorial.

Source

edit on 12/23/2010 by mikelee because: Change 0 to 9 and add text.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Is #3 an actual 9/11 memorial? I thought it was part of the original structure. Just aking.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by hooper

Merry Christmas Hooper!

I understand that it is under Ground Zero now. See source link to verify.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikelee
reply to post by hooper

Merry Christmas Hooper!

I understand that it is under Ground Zero now. See source link to verify.

And a Merry one to you also!!

Yeah, checked the site. The "eye" was installed in 1998. Thought I remember seeing it before.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
My old high school in northern New Jersey had what I thought was the worst memorial for awhile. It was a piece of a steel beam from the WTC twisted and rusty. Seems like a good idea, problem was for over a year it just sat sticking out of the ground with no plaque, no sign, nothing...just looked like a random piece of junk if you didn't already know what it was. Going past it now I see a nice sign and some benches built around it.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by lightworker12

Merry Christmas to ya!

Yea there is some sort of macabre aspect about a lot of the memorials around the nation. I saw one in Colorado recently where it was a lot like you described; the steel was standing upright in the ground with just a tiny plate affixed to it. Seems a lot of this steel has been shipped out to towns & citys who request such for their own tributes. Some better than others obviously.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Meh its still all better than the Berlin holocaust memorial, which is basically a big invitation to graffity artists.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I don't see what's so bad about any of these memorials.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

The eye of the beholder I suppose then. I like the one with the steel teardrop personally. I "get" that one. Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Merry Christmas to ya!

Yea there is some sort of macabre aspect about a lot of the memorials around the nation. I saw one in Colorado recently where it was a lot like you described; the steel was standing upright in the ground with just a tiny plate affixed to it. Seems a lot of this steel has been shipped out to towns & citys who request such for their own tributes. Some better than others obviously.

Hang on, I thought all this steel had been shipped off to China express to avoid inspection !

Btw, I quite like the teardrop too.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alfie1

Merry Christmas to ya!

Hang on, I thought all this steel had been shipped off to China express to avoid inspection !

Btw, I quite like the teardrop too.

Of course it was all shipped to China and India! Didn't ya know!

I kind of like the teardrop myself also. I come from a steel town and there are a lot of "public art" and memorials that include random sections of I and H beams, so that doesn't impress me much.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Alfie1

Merry Christmas Alfie 1!

Yes, I also thought the steel had been "sent off" just like OKC Murrah steel was sent to Freshkills and destroyed. But somehow miraculously some survived. Strange uh?!

top topics

join