It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Mexico drug violence runs rampant, U.S. guns tied to crime south of border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

As Mexico drug violence runs rampant, U.S. guns tied to crime south of border

www.washingtonpost.com

As an unprecedented number of American guns flows to the murderous drug cartels across the border, the identities of U.S. dealers that sell guns seized at Mexican crime scenes remain confidential under a law passed by Congress in 2003.

A year-long investigation by The Washington Post has cracked that secrecy and uncovered the names of the top 12 U.S. dealers of guns traced to Mexico in the past two years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well we knew the guns were going south, but this is a very informative story about the realities of what's going on.

Somehow, if you buy 2 handguns you are reported to the authorities but if you but 10 assault rifles, no one knows about it. Is it just me or is that backwards? Will they try to further restrict gun ownership? Should they?

My view always has been that the real problem is prohibition, but msm will more likely back something that increases restrictions on freedom instead of the solution that gives more freedom.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Nah...you guys, along with the "reporter" who filed the story, are waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy off base.

How many rifles are captured from the banditos in total?

What percentage are verified as coming from the United States?

What percentage of those from the US were obtained illegally from legitimate US owners?

What percentage of the weapons that are captured come from russia, china, the middle east, etc?

See, if you take the time to look at these figures in an honest way, you will find that only a relatively tiny percentage come from the US. The rest of them are from foreign manufacturers & armories.

These reports are NOTHING MORE than a red herring, designed to give the US federal government and their BATF an excuse to take more sovereignty from the american people, and a way for the absolutely corrupt mexican government a way to blame the US for problems in their country.

If you buy a firearm from a dealer in the united states, you are required by federal law to fill out several pages of paperwork, testify in writing that you are legally entitled to have that item, and that you are not a "straw purchaser." Then, you are subjected to a criminal background check. It is federal law. It doesn't matter what type of firearm it is.

Anything else you have been told is a lie.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

You are absolutely correct. And Mexico's Southern boarder is well sealed, if we are such a burden to Mexico, perhaps they should seal the Northern boarder as well.

The linked article focused on Carters Country, here is what they have to say..... www.myfoxhouston.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
My understanding of this issue after some research is that it is not so much the fact that the guns are smuggled from the U.S. and its more lax gun polices, but the fact that the Mexican military, police, special ops, etc. use a lot of weapons that are of U.S. origin and these ultimately end up in cartels' hands due to the corruption in the government.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I wasn't advocating more gun control. I thought it was interesting that so many weapons had been traced back to dealers in Texas. It's also odd that fox news would pick this type of story up and give it legs, seeing as how they are always pro-war, pro-gun, pro-profit at any cost.

Just for the record I'm against any more government regulation. Wouldn't hurt to secure the border though.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Finally...some good news about successful US exports...too bad we can't do the same thing with China and improve our balance-of-trade deficit...

But I guess China tends to ship cheap guns to their trading partners as well...like in the Sudan...We could learn a lot from the Chinese...

edit on 20-12-2010 by LeonDBelfort because: spelling error

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
the US government supplies arms for every
tin pot dictator and terrorist organization around the world...
And then uses that as an excuse to invade them and kill them.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrainGarden
the US government supplies arms for every
tin pot dictator and terrorist organization around the world...
And then uses that as an excuse to invade them and kill them.

That sounds like a good business model...I remember we did ship the anthrax to Saddam Hussein on a friendly basis, originally...too bad we aren't making any money off of that one...

new topics

top topics

join