It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building a new-ish PC

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Time2Think
reply to post by B.Morrison

However, If you're totally hardcore, and plan on using the new Nvidia Tesla GPU's, you can have Dell build you a system for the low low price of $35,000. (with ALL the bells and whistles) I've been saying it for a while now, but Quantum Computers really ARE right around the corner these days... and when that happens, everything is going to change like crazy - I'm talking Total Recall Virtual Reality systems and Holodecks.. but until then I guess we're stuck waiting....

Whoa that's insane!
I just want to make music, man I wonder whether that is even going to mean the same thing when we get that stuff....

Anyway, good luck with your box..

thanks man

hopefully I'll be able to save up enough to build a new one myself - I'm in SERIOUS need of a new one (I have this thing running with a VooDoo3 16MB 3dfx Card :lol

ouch but seeing as I'm running this with a geforce 6200 my boats not doing so well either

On another note, I never heard of this MBox 2 Mini before, but it looks pretty sweet.. the only question I have is I see it connects to your system via USB; does it actually have its own sound card built in it, or does it use your systems sound card to process sound?
yeah its just a really confusing crappy piece of tech that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Its just cheap & is bundled with protools is all. That said it still works, now that I know how to use it - so when i finally get to seriously test it with some heavy audio work - if it keeps up, its all good
basically its a sound card that only works within DAW's, any windows OS based audio work is done by the computers internal sound card. so movie playback etc - I'm pretty sure premiere pro & sony vegas work with the mbox's too so video editing should be covered too
haven't tested that bit yet though,

thanks for the posts

-B.M
edit on 6/1/11 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
If you want to save some money, go with an AMD CPU. Even AMD's 6-core CPU is cheaper than most of Intel's comparable-speed 4-cores. Check out AMD's 3.2 GHz 6-core CPU. That's 400 MHz faster than that i7 you posted and 2 more cores for even more processing power. Even AMD's fastest 4-core CPU at 3.4 Ghz is 600 MHz faster and way cheaper than Intel.

Further, AMD just works better with that HD 5870 you want. Which is a beast, btw. I can turn every single video game up to max settings with my HD 5870 and it doesn't even break a sweat. Of course, my CPU is faster than that i7 you want as well

And btw, 32-bit software will work on 64-bit systems. 64-bit software will not work on 32-bit systems. Everyone should have 64-bit systems nowadays when running Windows 7.

This is my trade, I would skip the I7 and go for the AMD six core. All round more power and the motherboard is future proof. Intel's socket 1356 is dead in the water.
Get your self 6-8 gig of DDR3 Ram , 1000 watt psu and your graphics card you mentioned earlier.
Windows 7 x 64 and you have a beast of a machine.

If you have cash to spend then get a couple of Solid state drives and make them Raid 0 for your system drive,
and a couple of 2 terrabyte Mechanical harddrives for storage.

Rocking.
edit on 8-1-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
This is my trade, I would skip the I7 and go for the AMD six core. All round more power and the motherboard is future proof. Intel's socket 1356 is dead in the water.
Get your self 6-8 gig of DDR3 Ram , 1000 watt psu and your graphics card you mentioned earlier.
Windows 7 x 64 and you have a beast of a machine.

If you have cash to spend then get a couple of Solid state drives and make them Raid 0 for your system drive,
and a couple of 2 terrabyte Mechanical harddrives for storage.

Rocking.

awesome.

So do you know a little something something about PSU's? because this is one of the last areas I'm still confused about - I went for the wattage I listed (750) simply out of concern that If I didn't at least try to match it - and had too much power - I'd blow up something. :S

I saw for example that the ODIN 800Watt could monitor and control its own power output and prevent damage...so am I worrying for nothing...?

there is this one at 1000W with a %90 efficiency rating - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W

any ideas?

-B.M

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Go with the cooler master , it's a great brand.
You can't blow up machines with too much power.
What happens is you get a really good constant supply
under any and all loads.
If you get a cheap under powered PSU, you can suffer from voltage dips.
affecting performance and you may get some blue screens.
It doesn't matter so much with low end pc's as they don't draw anything like the power your rig
will be using.
You can ask me anything you need to know both for the build and during the build.
I will be only to pleased to help.
I am a new member here, so as yet you can't pm me.
Good luck with the build.

edit on 9-1-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I was going to build someone a new PC and he just completely screwed that and everything else up over a stupid little ego matter.

so much for having cool things.

so much for people being rational around me.

EDIT...I'd rather build a mac anyway. Haven't done that yet...been wanting to do it. Mine is #ed up and I'm not replacing this stupid LCD.
edit on 9-1-2011 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
Go with the cooler master , it's a great brand.
You can't blow up machines with too much power.
What happens is you get a really good constant supply
under any and all loads.
If you get a cheap under powered PSU, you can suffer from voltage dips.
affecting performance and you may get some blue screens.
It doesn't matter so much with low end pc's as they don't draw anything like the power your rig
will be using.
You can ask me anything you need to know both for the build and during the build.
I will be only to pleased to help.
I am a new member here, so as yet you can't pm me.
Good luck with the build.

edit on 9-1-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

Thank you very much for a thoughtful & very informative + clear post. You seem to be a good communicator/nice person & I can tell I'm going to enjoy seeing your posts around the place

and welcome to ATS

-B.M

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaosMagician
I was going to build someone a new PC and he just completely screwed that and everything else up over a stupid little ego matter.

so much for having cool things.

so much for people being rational around me.

spewin' buddy. I had a similar problem recently with family members that had *stupidly* gotten scammed by the india call centre - microsoft virus - scam, despite that my mother was standing there while they were on the phone telling them exactly what it was....but noooo they didn't want to listen, too proud....too rude...

EDIT...I'd rather build a mac anyway. Haven't done that yet...been wanting to do it. Mine is #ed up and I'm not replacing this stupid LCD.

the monitor effed up or the comp/tower? or did you mean those more recent mac's where the screen IS the computer...?

I didn't even know you could build a mac. I though you had to buy them as is....

Hey speaking of monitors that are mac's, remember the original imacs from about a decade ago? the ones in all the different colours? I have a working one of those in the cupboard and I want to do something with it - preferably an electronic project - mod it into something else....

I can't find or think of anything at all that I could do with it really. anyone got ideas?

-B.M
edit on 9/1/11 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I can't find or think of anything at all that I could do with it really. anyone got ideas?

Linux? dual or triple boot the old mac with distros that look interesting.
Why not? You have everything else... Lol.
www.livecdlist.com...

edit on 9-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Linux? dual or triple boot the old mac with distros that look like interesting.
ah, thanks for the tip, I will have to do some learning again though coz I'm not really sure what that really meant

Why not? You have everything else... Lol.
kind of.

I may do in the future If I can get the funds together - but for now i'm stuck with a 10 year old PC built out of spare parts - 512mb geforce 6200, 1.5gb (old) ram & pentium4 - 2.6ghz processor. Its slow & crashes daily. If I don't replace it soon I might not have a computer at all...

www.livecdlist.com...
had a quick look, is this somewhere I can get free OS's from? so...linux or ubuntu - are you saying to install it on my old ass mac & learn to use it? I might do that. I had heard from another poster a long time ago that theirs was used as a torrentslave... might be a better idea on an indie os...

cheers for posting

-B.M

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

had a quick look, is this somewhere I can get free OS's from? so...linux or ubuntu - are you saying to install it on my old ass mac & learn to use it? I might do that. I had heard from another poster a long time ago that theirs was used as a torrentslave... might be a better idea on an indie os...

Yes, that is a list of many different distros (distributions, aka OS) that have livecd's you can use to decide whether you like the distro or not. You would download the .iso and then burn it to a cd and boot from the cd. There is an option to install from the livecd after you've decided to do so. You can download the .iso from the link at that site or you can simply go to the distro homepage, read a bit more about it and download from the homepage either via mirror or torrent.

I'm not a fan of Ubuntu (though it's reported to be very easy for linux newbies) I chose Mint instead (also very good for beginners and based off of Ubuntu) and have been very happy with that choice as my "base" or permanent distro/OS. I have played around with many of the others and have decided to also install (dual boot) Peppermint One as a second distro/OS on the same laptop. Different yet complimentary.

Depending on how much space that mac hardrive has, you can potentially run 2-4 different distros, if you wanted to. And yes, they are free and much safer to use then M$ for downloading from torrent sites and the like...

edit on 9-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

wow,
that is eye opening. I love that your OS is called 'mint'.

from that moment on while I was reading your post I felt like one of the guys from 'hackers' with the custom OS's with the smiley face loading screen and stuff like that...

I'm definately going to try a few of them, thanks again!...

-B.M

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

If I can help, let me know. More than happy to try. I'm still pretty new to Linux as a whole, but I have the basics down and can find answers to my problems (so far) ... Have fun.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

If I can help, let me know. More than happy to try. I'm still pretty new to Linux as a whole, but I have the basics down and can find answers to my problems (so far) ... Have fun.

What distro you into > , i use Debian, Ubuntu 10.10 and have used Open Suse (gnome).
Really like it , but still need to use windows for my work.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I'm using Mint 9 main edition for my primary, on my laptop. I also have Mint Fluxbox on my netbook currently, but I also tried Xubuntu on the netbook and that was cool, too. I also tried Peppermint One on the netbook and that rocked. I will probably go back to that one. I've been staying within the Mint Community for now, as I'm still pretty much a noob. to linux and they are the most familiar. I wasn't a fan of Ubuntu or Ubuntu Netbook, nor did I like jolicloud. There is a distro called Zenwalk that I've heard interesting feedback about, I was thinking of burning a cd (today) to try...

edit on 12-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

reply to post by rigel4

I'm using Mint 9 main edition for my primary, on my laptop. I also have Mint Fluxbox on my netbook currently, but I also tried Xubuntu on the netbook and that was cool, too. I also tried Peppermint One on the netbook and that rocked. I will probably go back to that one. I've been staying within the Mint Community for now, as I'm still pretty much a noob. to linux and they are the most familiar. I wasn't a fan of Ubuntu or Ubuntu Netbook, nor did I like jolicloud. There is a distro called Zenwalk that I've heard interesting feedback about, I was thinking of burning a cd (today) to try...

edit on 12-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

I've heard loads of good things about Mint, but i have yet to try it. Linux in general really Interests me as it has the feel of old computing, not true i know, but it has that feel for me. good luck with Linux and have fun..

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 11:58 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<< 1   >>

join