It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pythagoras, a math genius? Not by Babylonian standards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Pretty interesting find

www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Would you maybe like to paraphrase the article, maybe a bit of interpretation or discussion?
edit on 18-12-2010 by myster0 because: spellign

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by myster0

allow me to help:

this article perpetuates ignorance. It talks about how 1,000 years before "Pythagoras was working out the hypotenuse", the Babylonians were already familiar with the concept of A2 + B2 = C2.

Problem is, it is (or should be) fairly well known that Pythagoras did not "invent" the Pythagorean Theorum. It learned it during his initiation rites into one of the Mysteries.

Of course it was well known before him. His true genius was music, not trigonometry. Not to mention his philosophy on life. Of course, the typical "ignorant masses" of his time burned the majority of his work, so little remains of his true genius. But of what does remain, it is clear that he had a near god like intelligence.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Interesting thread, Pythagoras believed everything was related to mathematics and that numbers were the ultimate reality. Considered the father of western philosophy the works attributed to him are a monumental clearinghouse of Greek thought for the period.

It was an old Pythagorean maxim, that every thing was not to be told to everybody. There was secrecy and graduations within Pythagorus teachings. he was seen in different places at one and the same time. Apparently Pythagorus worked out planetary motions as a musically resonant "harmony of the spheres" long before Galileo or Copernicus published.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by myster0

allow me to help:

this article perpetuates ignorance. It talks about how 1,000 years before "Pythagoras was working out the hypotenuse", the Babylonians were already familiar with the concept of A2 + B2 = C2.

Problem is, it is (or should be) fairly well known that Pythagoras did not "invent" the Pythagorean Theorum. It learned it during his initiation rites into one of the Mysteries.

Of course it was well known before him. His true genius was music, not trigonometry. Not to mention his philosophy on life. Of course, the typical "ignorant masses" of his time burned the majority of his work, so little remains of his true genius. But of what does remain, it is clear that he had a near god like intelligence.

You need to understand something, because it is a fallacy amongst academics that Pythagoras was a mathematician. Whilst it is certainly true that he was the first to emphasize the importance of mathematics to the study of nature, he was NOT a scientist as we understand the word now but a philosopher/mystic who taught that the study of nature could lead to the perfection of the soul and God-realization. In particular, the study of numbers was essential to this task. Academics recognize the genius of Pythagoras but for the wrong reasons because they have NEVER known, let alone understand, his teachings because they were never written down. What has survived, such as the "Fragments of Philolaus", are a faint, distorted version of them.

So it is NOT as a mathematical genius that we should remember Pythagoras but, rather, as a spiritual sage, whose teachings were unique in their having a mathematical nature. Nor was music his true genius. He was a universal genius, rather like Leonardo da Vinci, and music was just one of his bow strings.

If you want to become acquainted with the true mathematical and spiritual genius of Pythagoras, you should visit:
smphillips.8m.com...
In the research material there you will find the full power of his mystical insight expressed in a mathematical way that is unknown to mathematicians and historians of science. There you will discover the true power of his insight. It is absolutely amazing because, you see, Pythagoras discovered the mathematical nature of God. This is a far more important and impressive achievement than discovering (or re-proving) some mathematical theorem! So comparison with the Babylonians' mathematical discoveries is ill-conceived, as Pythagoras was not a mathematician but a sage who initiated his students into the mathematical wisdom of God.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Both above posters spot on

The truth is we know very little about what was taught in Pythagoras' Acadamy. Although we do know that the man and his teachings were held as a standard of excellence for many centuries to come. Like an earlier poster said, Pythagoras was deeply concerned with the theory of Music, and through this, he had a sort of premodern Theory of Everything.

Infact the word Music, that we use today is a shortened form of Musica Instrumentalis, Musica simply meant harmony and proportion, they had principally three Musicas; Musica Instrumentalis (harmony and proportion of sound), Musica Universalis (harmony and proportion of heavenly bodies) and Musica Humanis (harmony and proportion of the human form).

Back then Pythagoras saw and understood this unity, that everything was infact 'Musica', or harmony and proportion. In his research into Musica he discovered the Golden Section, he discovered this in Musica Humanis:

Pythagoras (560-480 BC), the Greek geometer, was especially interested in the Golden Section, and proved that it was the basis for the proportions of the human figure. He showed that the human body is built with each part in a definite Golden Proportion to all the other parts. Pythagoras' discoveries of the proportions of the human figure had a tremendous effect on Greek art. Every part of their major buildings, down to the smallest detail of decoration, was constructed upon this proportion.

Source

And thus much of Greek architecture incorporates the mathematical ratios he discovered in order to remain in a proportional harmony with the cosmos.

Interestingly as a sidenote, Pythagoras believed in and taught metempsychosis, or transmigration of the souls, better known today as reincarnation. One Greek writer has said that Pythagoras was taught by Nazaratus and he himself had studied the teachings of the Celts and the Brahmins, who were both known to believe in reincarnation (Brahmins, today as a caste of Hindus still believe in reincarnation). It is intersting that the Celts, or better yet the Druids believed in reincarnation, and it is thought that their belief in reincarnation and the Hindu belief in reincarnation have a common origin in the ancient Indo-European, so-called Aryan peoples. So effectively the whole of Pythagoras' mathematics could very well have come from the ancient Druids!! Sorry to digress but I find that bit really interesting.
edit on 18-12-2010 by WHITEHEAD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I would like to add a little on Pythagoras, because he was one of my favorite people in History. There are stories that Pythagoras not only visted Babylon, that he also visited and studied the mystery schools in India too. I have been fascinated with Babylon for a long time but it appears that there is more to the history of India than we are being told. I think they key to this all is to find out who the white, or blue skinned, early gods of the hindu religion really were.

The following is from a quote from Suzanne Olssons book "Jesus in Kashmir". This is from chapter 6 which speaks of the early religion sun worshipers. It appears that many early religions stemmed from Sun worship and many of these people appeared to come from northern europe from ancient times. These people from the north influenced the greeks, jews, babylonians, hindus and iranians and probably more. I am beginning to understand this theory and it makes a lot of sense. Remember New Grange and Stonehenge are older than the pyramids and Babylon. Scientists have recently found the sun temple in Bosnia from 6000 BC i believe, which gives more credability to the theory that the first major religion was the sun worshipers and that totally makes sense. No Sun, No Life. Ofcourse the other great religion is earth worship, which goes hand in hand with sun worship. The sun is the mother, the earth is the mother, and they gave birth to the human race.

Anyways here is the quote regarding pythagoras in kashmir:

Apollonius wanted to continue the work of Pythagoras , whom he described as his
spiritual ancestor. Five centuries before Apollonius, Pythagoras had made the same
journey to Kashmir to study the ancient wisdom. Ph ilostratus described the wise men
here as
‘Sages who dwell on earth yet are not of this earth, who po ssesses nothing, yet
all things.’
When Apollonius left Kashmir he wrote a farewell letter to the sages that said;
“Iarchus and the other sages, greetings from Apoll onius. I came to you by land,
and with your aid I return by sea, and I might even re turn by air, such is the
wisdom you have imparted to me.” According to his trave ling companion Damis
(or Demas) Apollonius had indeed ascended with the sages at least once.

If anyone is interested in reading this book, let me know. Suzanne Olsson is popular amongst the believers that Jesus visited or came from India, she claims to be a descendant of Jesus and was in India and Pakistan trying to find the remains of old christian and jewish prophets. She has her book available online in PDF format but i don't think she knows it's easily accessible so i will not give out the links.

And just to give you a little more from the book that talks a little bit about the theory that the europeans came south:

Arctic Homeland of the Vedas?
The ruling families of India are the relatives, through ma rriages, to the Roman
Caesars, the Greek philosophers, the Egyptian pharaohs, and even the Japanese
Emperors. But there is another theory that follows them even further back, to Nordic
roots. According to scholar Felice Vinci, there had been a great migration, an Indo-
European Diaspora from Scandinavia and other northern regions, forced upon them by
climate changes. When they arrived in India and Central Asia, they began the great
Sumerian and Sarasvati cultures. They became the Egyptian Hyksos , the Hittites and
Cassites, the pharaohs, emperors, and rajas of Egypt and India. In other words, they
were the very first Hebrews.
This is, in fact, substantiated to some degree through their Indo -European
languages, their Tocharian and Kurgan graves, their artifacts, and especially their DNA.
Giuliano Bruno, a noted contributor to this theory, points out that in Sanskrit ‘Sumeru’ is
the word for the Arctic Pole (Monier-Williams, Sanskrit-English Dictionary), and the
Kojiki, a Shinto sacred book, calls Japan's first emperors ‘Sumera,’ t hose from the north.
It becomes apparent then, that one must go well below the surface of Sanskrit,
Aramaic, or Greek names to understand the culture, the race, and the migrations that
will reveal the true identity of the first kings and rajas of India.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

you may know...i once read about Jesus in japan. Do you have anything on that?

top topics

join