It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Captain Beefheart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Captain Beefheart died today. Thanks for all the great music! You'll be missed!

Captain Beefheart Dead At Age 69 | Rolling Stone Music

Don Van Vliet, who became a rock legend as Captain Beefheart, died today from complications from multiple sclerosis in California. His passing was announced by the New York-based Michael Werner Gallery, which represented his work as a painter.

Captain Beefheart - Wikipedia

Don Van Vliet (pronounced /væn ˈvliːt/; born Don Glen Vliet, January 15, 1941 – December 17, 2010) was an American musician and visual artist best known by the stage name Captain Beefheart.

I'm Gonna Booglarize You Baby

Big Eyed Beans from Venus

Electricity + Sure 'Nuff 'N' Yes I Do

edit on 17 Dec 2010 by Hellmutt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Captain Beefheart will live forever. He may no longer be with us in the physical form, but then again....one may make the argument that he never really was. Sad day for music.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Thanks for the thread Hellmutt

I remember watching a documentary about Captain Beefheart and found his to be genuinely fascinating. I had to start looking into his music and, while many of my friends think I'm a mad man for liking it, I genuinely think it's brilliant.

A truly original individual.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The bongo fury is fading away.
Bye Frank, Freddie and now the Troutmask replicator himself.
People need to remember that really innovative geniuses take risks - that's why you'll probably never love everything Beefheart did.
To a life fully lived! Cheers

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
While stationed in Alaska in the early 70's my room mate was a guy named Bill from Lancaster,Calif.

He told me that his dad was high school friends with both Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart.

When he was very small they would all pile into a old Jeep and go "boonying" out in the desert.

Bill,died a year later,but not before turning me on to both Zappa and Captain Beefheart.

Now they are all gone.

edit on 17-12-2010 by Oneolddude because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Man, that's too damn bad. His music is of course excellent but, I've seen a few interviews and he seemed like a good guy. I still miss Frank a little (or a lot) every time I listen to him. -Smooth sailin Captn'

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I heard this on npr today. sad news.
my best friends band was named "ant man bee". named after a captain beef heart song.
long live non-pop!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Captain Beefheart was the greatest musical artist who ever lived, or ever will live, and I don't need to travel to the future to know this. Please note my user name and avatar. There were times when I was younger when listening to one of his albums was the only bright spot in my day. Rest in peace, Don.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

RIP

Wow 2010 really sucked for the music world, we lost Peter Steele, Ronnie James Dio, and now Beefheart!!!

I just hope 2011 will be better...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I remember the first time I heard Captain Beefheart, I thought to myself," This guy is friend of Frank Zappa,cool." Gonna miss him.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Bummer news Rip Cpt. B. He was an interesting person.I always loved his qoute "like a squid eating octopus in polyurethane bag" it always stuck with me, not sure why.

top topics

join