It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Manatees (700 deaths this year so far)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
So I found an interesting post on GodLike Productions about the manatees in Florida. A news report said 700 manatees have died this year. They linked it to a "cold spill". I bet it's related to the poison Corexit. Even if it's not, something smells fishy. I wish I knew more. Hope someone from Florida might know more.

Here's a link to the info and the YouTube video of the news report.

News Report on Manatees

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I've swam with Manatee's before and they are easily one of the most peaceful and gentle creatures I've ever been around. They are litterally like angels in the water.

Which means we need to kill them all. Anything peaceful is against war, which we're in, which means they're against us, which means they are anti american, which mean's manatee's aree terrorists.

Manatee's = terrorists.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Did you go to Crystal River? That's on my bucket list. I love snorkeling, don't have my scuba license yet. They are absolutely lovely animals. Just a shame.

Love the anti war theory, who knows, they killed Lennon, what stops them from killing sea cows.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Not all manatees are terrorists.

But being serious, this makes me sad. I got to see some manatees once when I was in Florida, they were awesome. Poor manatees...I wish we could make more of an effort to stop their decline.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Stars for you sir, for finding a terrorist manatee. My god, good show, sir.

Originally posted by SpaceJ

Not all manatees are terrorists.

But being serious, this makes me sad. I got to see some manatees once when I was in Florida, they were awesome. Poor manatees...I wish we could make more of an effort to stop their decline.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Indeed, that is were I visited. There are the clear springs where minerals bubble from below.

Indeed, they put humanity to shame. It should be called "humanatee" instead.

Originally posted by mweiss

Did you go to Crystal River? That's on my bucket list. I love snorkeling, don't have my scuba license yet. They are absolutely lovely animals. Just a shame.

Love the anti war theory, who knows, they killed Lennon, what stops them from killing sea cows.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Gorillaz video for On Melancholy Hill www.youtube.com...

Has a dead manatee in it. And some kind of evil beast massaging it ?

edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The oil spill/Corexit has been affecting sea cow population but the current cold weather in the 20s right now here possible related to the mixture's effects on the weather here is going to cause many more deaths of the endangered manatee unless something is done. It's mid December and temperatures are already below last January's lows which were already record shattering.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
West Indian manatees are large, gray aquatic mammals with bodies that taper to a flat, paddle-shaped tail. They have two forelimbs, called flippers, with three to four nails on each flipper. Their head and face are wrinkled with whiskers on the snout. The manatee's closest relatives are the elephant and the hyrax (a small, gopher-sized mammal). Manatees are believed to have evolved from a wading, plant-eating animal. The West Indian manatee is related to the West African manatee, the Amazonian manatee, the dugong, and Steller's sea cow, which was hunted to extinction in 1768. The average adult manatee is about 10 feet long and weighs between 800 and 1,200 pounds.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
This is so sad. When we would go visit my family in FL, we would always take a night at a certain hotel along the intracostal waterway between Titusville and Merit Island. We stayed there because they had a high manatee population and we would always pick up several head of cabbage and take there to feed them. We would see Mommas and babies, they are just beautiful creatures.
S&F for the find, though it's heartbreaking to know this.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This has NOTHING to do with the oil spill..

It is from the very cold winter we had at the beginning of the year and early this year.

They talk about it on our local florida news all the time..

The manatees can not take the cold for long that is what kills them..

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mweiss

Here comes yet another big freeze Boxing Day night
20s all the way down to the Everglades!!!
www.weather.gov...

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Ive heard reports of people saying that almost all life in the gulf right now is gone? Is this true?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
If anyone know if this is true, please confirm. It's sad what we do to our own planet in the name of profit.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This is tragic, but it "could be" only the beginning.
The gulf will could starve to death. The lack of plankton could be published next as the cause of the problem, and I think we all know what is killing the plankton.
The corals are pretty tough, but I don't know if they can survive this.
If they die, the beaches loose the white coral color. Fish and crustaceans will lose their cover.
Next will be the diseases that pop up from all the dead stuff.
This could make red tide, look like nothing major.

I hope none of the above happens, but I think it is going to get worse.

edit on 2-1-2011 by CHEDwick because: correction

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
While I don't think that we even have an inkling fo what the oil spill will do in the future, it's not causing this probem....yet. The cold is responsible for this. It got too cold too fast for them this year. We had manatees off of the pier two weeks ago when the water was 66 degrees, today the same water is 54 degrees. It's a shame, however the oil spill isn't the whole story.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinsterIngredNebula
Ive heard reports of people saying that almost all life in the gulf right now is gone? Is this true?

My wife works part time at a local seafood market in north Florida. She has commented on the fact that ALL of the fishing boats, shrimping boats, etc., are coming back with very poor catches. Most are not catching enough to even pay for the fuel it takes to take the boats out. So yes, I would say that something is definitely going wrong in the Gulf of Mexico.

But honestly, would anyone seriously expect anything different from a body of water heavily contaminated with an emulsified mixture of oil and dispersants? To think that this WOULDN'T kill off marine life is pretty darn naive.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I never like manatees anyway.

Good riddance.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mweiss

I wouldnt be supprised if the oil or corexit was involved, I watch the commercials bp runs about how they claim to have cleaned up large amounts of the gulf coast but animals like manatees will probably continue to die from it for years to come

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
now the poor manitees are dieing

hope we find out whats causing this
edit on 14-5-2013 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join