It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

scottish home made soup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Tthis is a soup that my gran and mum used to make and through years of watching my mum make it i now make it myself and its a great soup thats healthy and filling and great for winter.

INGREDIENTS

red split lentils
3-4 carrots
1/2 a turnip
1 leek
ham stock cube/and or pack of smoked bacon

first add your lentils to a pot of boiling water, if u like your soup thin and watery then a quarter of the pack, if you like the soup thick like me then a half pack will do.

now this can be done 2 ways...if you like soup chunky then chop your carrots and turnip, i like my soup without chunks so i grate my carrots and turnip
*note* turnip isnt vital to the soup u dont have to add it plus the soup will turn quicker with it, if u intend on eating the soup over 2 days then dont add the turnip.
slice your leek up the centre and rinse under the tap and slice

once the lentils have boiled *they wont be red but will be a light brown/yellowy colour* add your carrots turnip and leek and turn ring down to a simmer, leave for 20 mins

20 minutes later" add your stock cube ham or chicken suits this soup or u can add a pkt of smoked bacon, cut off the fat and cut into bite size peices and add to the soup,

allow this to simmer until the vegatables are soft and the leek has almost dissapeared

add salt to taste and some parsley(optional)

this soup is tasty with french bread add a little butter on the bread and dip, the soup also always tastes better on the second day....not only is this soup extremely cheap to make its delicious and very nutritous and loaded with fibre.

hope you enjoy

*if you are making a chicken based soup ie using chicken stock then u can add some chicken as well *
edit on 12-12-2010 by NWOnoworldorder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

That sounds very yummy ...

My favorite Scottish soup however is Cock-a-Leekie.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
the same recipie i use.
also from my gran.
yi jist cannie beat a big mug o soup wi dod eh crusty breed. lol
translation for non scots
there is nothing better than a large bowl of soup acompnied by some crusty bread my good man.lol.
yummy
think i may go get cooking.
edit on 12-12-2010 by blacklist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by blacklist

hahaha nah ye canny whack it kin ye?!?
translation : no u just cant beat it can you ?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

cock-a-leekie aka chicken and leek.....i do enjoy the occasional bowl yes....im more of a lentil gal, this soup can also be made with broth mixture...but u have to steep the broth the night b4 in water.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
after eating this soup, you might decide to sleep with the window open and stay away from open flames for a while.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

HAHAHAHAHAHA! yes this soup does cause flatulence because its full of fibre...and they can get rather whiffy so yea open window is a good idea....

new topics

top topics

join