It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we just leave religion alone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I suppose my question comes from the attitude that I agree with Karl Marx when he said that religion is the opium of the people. But I also believe that the vast majority of our species is illogical and naturally a bit stupid. I mean, we're basically just insane chimps if one wants to be crudely simplistic about it. I suppose my point is that perhaps it would be unwise to actively guide people away from religion because I believe that religion is one of the main things that keeps many people from becoming dogs with table manners. I don't believe that most people have the ability to form a morality that supersedes that of the seek pleasure/avoid pain variety.

Of course, we shouldn't just leave psychos and zealotry to the point of insanity alone, but the vast majority of people aren't really like that. I think that we should just leave people alone. Those whose functioning is analytical and, perhaps, painfully logical in nature will almost always come to the same conclusion.

To clarify, I'm not implying that those who are religious are stupid, as this would be asinine given that some of the most brilliant minds in history were deeply religious. I'm merely pointing out that it's hard to tell who has the ability to function higher than that of dog-with-table-manners, and that perhaps for the sake of our species we shouldn't try to steer those who aren't away from something that helps keep them in check.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
We can't really evolve till they are gone and dead.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
There would be no need to leave religion alone, if religion would just leave us alone.

Sheesh it's got me phrasing in parabols now....

DAMN YOU RELIGION!!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

gnosticquasar,

Us poor ole dumb "dogs" Christians, have more on the ball than you can know. We know and experienced something your kind has not. A True Christian is not coercive to anyone. What is happening now in the great drive of the world to put Christianity down is supposed to happen. It has been prophecied. I am not alarmed but I am saddened at the plight of the worldly attitude. What it means is, we are now very close to the finish. You are going to see things happen shortly that is unimaginable by any in their right minds. Just put your seat belt on as it is going to be a rough ride.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by truthiron

I recall specifically stating that I was not implying that religious people are stupid. I'm merely saying that your religion may be the only thing keeping many of your religious brethren from becoming dogs with table manners. If you've got sense enough to have a moral compass without a religion, then I'm not talking about you.

new topics

top topics

join