It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Civilization May Have Existed Beneath the Persian Gulf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

Veiled beneath the Persian Gulf, a once-fertile landmass may have supported some of the earliest humans outside Africa some 75,000 to 100,000 years ago, a new review of research suggests.

At its peak, the floodplain now below the Gulf would have been about the size of Great Britain, and then shrank as water began to flood the area. Then, about 8,000 years ago, the land would have been swallowed up by the Indian Ocean, the review scientist said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I had first heard about research dealing with this a few years ago. Two ancient river beds had been found by satellite leading into the Persian Gulf. It was believed that the Persian Gulf would have been above sea level during the last Ice Age and that these two rivers would have met, along with the Tigris and the Euphrates, in what is now submerged land.

Now, the current story has anthropologists getting into the investigation.

The Gulf Oasis would have been a shallow inland basin exposed from about 75,000 years ago until 8,000 years ago, forming the southern tip of the Fertile Crescent, according to historical sea-level records.

And it would have been an ideal refuge from the harsh deserts surrounding it, with fresh water supplied by the Tigris, Euphrates, Karun and Wadi Baton Rivers, as well as by upwelling springs, Rose said. And during the last ice age when conditions were at their driest, this basin would've been at its largest.

The place would have been a virtual paradise, four rivers, and springs. It could also be home to the oldest permanent settlements of homo sapiens sapiens. The civilization would then have been wiped out by massive flooding at least 8000 years ago. The remnants settling the fertile cresecent in the aftermath.

Now where have I heard that story before? Hmm.

news.yahoo.com
edit on 10/12/10 by MikeboydUS because:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Existing thread on this at the link::

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thanks for the link.

The news story should reach a broader audience outside the Lost Civilization forum.

In light of all the bad news in the world this story is rather refreshing and people need some refreshment.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Excellent find, if I had a time machine I wouldn't go to the future, I would go to the past and visit ancient civilizations

Also check this out
Amazon: Archaeological wonder or alien crop circles?
New discoveries suggest the Amazon was home to civilizations that rivaled classical Greece.

Ranzi said the size and breadth of the discovery reveals that, some 1,000 years ago, the region was home to a large, complex society. The find has expanded a rapidly growing body of archaeological evidence suggesting that the Amazon — once thought to be largely wild in antiquity — was home to civilizations that may have rivaled those of the ancient West.

“It could be something as important as an unknown Roman empire, or a Mesopotamia,” Ranzi said. “It was completely covered by the forest for six or 10 centuries and now is reappearing.”

www.globalpost.com...

If you read the entire article it sounds like aliens, I mainly say that because of the mention of perfect circles.
Well.... that's just my imagination!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The Amazon find and the Guatemalan Great Pyramid show there is a much more to be discovered in the world.

Now if we can get some divers to the bottom of the Persian Gulf.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Allow me to congratulate the finder...nice little place that, a regular eden hey?
wink wink...
There were contemporaries in africa at thet time too....i wonder if they had contact?
I am sure well find out many other unexpected things in the future as we develope a less self centered way to look at the world around us...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Allow me to congratulate the finder...nice little place that, a regular eden hey?
wink wink...
There were contemporaries in africa at thet time too....i wonder if they had contact?
I am sure well find out many other unexpected things in the future as we develope a less self centered way to look at the world around us...

We know there were contemporary Neandertals to the North at least until 30,000 years ago and other Archaic Homo Sapiens in Ethiopia.

The oldest known Homo Sapiens Idaltu fossils come from Ethiopia dating around 160,000 years old. I would like to know where the oldest Homo Sapiens Sapiens (Modern Humans) fossils are from and when. Even the Israeli finds dating back to 80,000 years still exhibits "Archaic Homo Sapiens" traits. Even Cro Magnon remains dating back 45,000 years again show archaic traits and possible Neandertal admixture.

Where is the oldest Modern Human( no Archaic traits or Neandertal admixture) fossil site?

If it happened to be the Persian Gulf or around it, wouldn't that make some heads spin?

edit on 10/12/10 by MikeboydUS because:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Excellent article below
But one interesting part

"Given the presence of Neanderthal communities in the upper reaches of the Tigris and Euphrates River, as well as in the eastern Mediterranean region, this may very well have been the contact zone between moderns and Neanderthals," Rose told LiveScience. In fact, recent evidence from the sequencing of the Neanderthal genome suggests interbreeding, meaning we are part caveman.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Moderns and Neandertals, could those "moderns" have been somewhat modern Sumerians?
Nothing is more interesting than Sumerian culture, they had statues of astronauts and rockets, they even mapped out the entire solar system way before mayans even existed. and they possibly even used electricity!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I posted this hours ago, but apparently, I didn't post in a way that pleased this brilliant and lofty crowd. Good luck!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
I posted this hours ago, but apparently, I didn't post in a way that pleased this brilliant and lofty crowd. Good luck!

Where did you post? If yours is an older thread in the Breaking News forum, my thread would need to be closed.

I see it was the Other Current Events forum.
edit on 11/12/10 by MikeboydUS because: Hmm

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

news.yahoo.com

Veiled beneath the Persian Gulf, a once-fertile landmass may have supported some of the earliest humans outside Africa some 75,000 to 100,000 years ago, a new review of research suggests.

At its peak, the floodplain now below the Gulf would have been about the size of Great Britain, and then shrank as water began to flood the area. Then, about 8,000 years ago, the land would have been swallowed up by the Indian Ocean, the review scientist said.

Zecariah Sitchin (RIP) wrote about this in his book the 12th planet, that the annunakis landed somewhere in the marshy land between saudi and iraq in what could be southern tip or part of modern day Basra...and that was 430,000 years ago...and from there rolled out what seems to be the start of current human societies.......

could there be a connection somewhere? and why is the "mainstream scientists , academia and media " joining the chorus???

Im citing his thoughts and what he has written, so if anybody who wish to bash the old man (he's made his peace already) please refrain....and pay him some respect...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Now if we can get some divers to the bottom of the Persian Gulf.

You can bet your bottom $ that there are plenty of divers in the Gulf.

A few months ago, a large portion of the world's navy ships all (mysteriously) congregated in the Gulf..not so surprising as there is a war in the region and maybe another in the planing...but, it's where they ended up..the Gulf of ADEN!

Aden...Eden.

A fertile, idyllic and rich land, pretty much what we would describe as paradise..A veritable Garden of Aden!

Add to that, that human kind had established one of the first ever great settlements there, and that a great flood displaced many of the inhabitants 8000 years ago.

So..what do we have?

The garden of Eden (Aden), Sumeria (Iraq/Iran/Syria/Aden)

One of the first, perhaps the very first great co-operative and flourishing human settlements in the history of our species.

A flood of 'biblical' proportions around 8 - 10,000 years ago, that wiped out most of humanity in the region, scattering and disrupting the survivors.

An international flotilla of warships, including many nations who are not involved with the Iraq war, converging and mooring in the Gulf of Aden for long periods...for no apparent reason recently.

What is this telling you?

new topics

top topics

join