It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 responders bill defeated by Senate GOP filibuster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Senate Democrats failed Thursday to win a procedural vote to open debate on a bill that would provide medical benefits and compensation for emergency workers who were first on the scene of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
The motion for cloture, or to begin debate, needed 60 votes to pass due to a Republican filibuster, but fell short at 57-42 in favor.
While supporters said they would try to bring the bill up again, either on its own or as part of other legislation to be considered, the vote Thursday jeopardized the measure's chances for approval in the final weeks of the current congressional session.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.cnn.com...

Well, the GOP are sure making dang sure that no matter what the rich will get richer. They had promised before that they would not let anything else go through unless people who make $250,000.00 or more a year get to keep tax cuts that haven't produced jobs or helped the economy at all.

But instead they fillibuster a bill that would help the brave men and women who risked their lives on 9/11.

I guess it all boils down to priorities, for the GOP, those don't include anyone but the wealthiest Americans.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Yeah providing medical care would cost too much, and it does not make sense for the US to spending money without constraint in these times of economic strangulation when it cannot even afford to pay off the interest on its own debt.

Plus, didn't they pass a healthcare bill? Go buy your own help! Help your health and the economy!
edit on 10-12-2010 by asperetty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
There is a place for politcs as usual and a time,this is not it. It is time for both parties to come together and do the right things for the nation and its people. The GOP is starting to seriously tick me off,they should change their name to the RPP (rich peoples party).

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

Well, don't we as a country have an obligation and a duty to help those men and women who bravely went into the wreckage after 9/11 and were exposed to such toxic chemicals? Doesn't decency dictate that we pass a bill to make sure that these brave people get the care that they deserve? They obviously have earned it.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
"You are all heros. We owe so much to you."

"Eff off and die already."

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Could you please post the ENTIRE bill proposal up here for us to read.

I think you are focusing on the Headliner but I believe if you look at the full proposal, there are additional-added things NOT related to the bill or the purpose of the bill.

I know it is easy to get caught up in the headline but I have learned that one needs to examine the whole bill.

Believe it or not, politician are said to be dishonest and cunning. They have been rumored to attempt these tactics of deception to further the hidden elements with in the bill.

The only thing they lack is a patsy to push along or put out the propoganda and Kapow! It takes off like a wild fire.

And, considering the source... I would say they are looking for patsies.... CNN pffffff.
edit on 12/10/2010 by anon72 because: CNN comment

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Oh I forgot, some people only listen to WND or FOX News on this site. Silly me, maybe I can find a WND article which shows that all 9/11 first responders are evil communist Muslim terrorists with no birth certificates, I bet some would lap that up as the gospel wouldn't they?

www.govtrack.us...

There you go, the full text.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

No need to get your panties all bundled up. I just asked if you could post the thing. A little touchy I see.

Anyway, the Republicans only blocked a proceedural vote. Maybe it the Dems would have worked in the spirit of cooperation and compromise, they would have gotten it. Or maybe voted on it when they were all standing together on the Obamacare screwing we got, they would have better success. That's politics.

The good thing, or rather the other side of politics is that the Republicans (when they are in charge) can re-write it, GET PROPER FUNDING for it and then.... take credit. Sounds like Washington as usual.

The interesting thing I will be looking for is all these good-hearted Demo's who don't support the bill when it comes up next year (or so) as a Republican matter.

edit on 12/10/2010 by anon72 because: Content edit

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
They will use 9/11 for political gain and for the power grab they have achieved thus far.

If they don't care about 9/11 first responders, they sure don't care about us.

nice change tp's

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I guess you forgot this little bit of info:

WASHINGTON -- Senate Republicans intend to block action on virtually all Democratic-backed legislation unrelated to tax cuts and government spending in the current postelection session of Congress, officials said Tuesday, adding that the leadership has quietly collected signatures on a letter pledging to carry out the strategy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.washingtonpost.com...

I know, I know, it's an AP Article and you probably have a problem with that too.

So, here's FOX News for you so that it's a bit more palatable.

www.foxnews.com...

So, basically, this is how the rest of the year is going to go, if the Dems don't bend to the will of the GOP, nothing else will go through, not this bill, not any bill, the GOP will block and filibuster everything coming down until tax cuts for the rich go through.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Isn't it ironic that those GOP scumbags that voted down help for the first responders, have a great health plan paid for by the US TAXPAYERS.

www.suite101.com...

If the libs would have the guts to run on the platform of the GOP only caring about the rich people....the Republicans would be toast.

And there are those that would say "don't play the class card" well what are the Republicans doing with their constant legislative attempts to foster welfare for the rich and corporations. see corporate subsidies for the oil companies.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 10-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Can anyone explain to me how the Republicans were able to pull this off when the DEmocrats control the majority in both houses? This is a lame duck session, not the new group, so it appears if the repbulicans were able to stop it, then Democrats broke ranks and supported it.

With that said, I somehwat agree with one of the other posters about the GOP pissing people off. I think we need to throw them all out, outlaw the Democratic and REpublican parties, and start fresh.

I am just getting more and more tired picking the lesser of who cares.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Do we really need another federal welfare program?

I think the Congress should tell the state/local government to create a fund that will assist the 9/11 responders in a much more cost effective and efficient way than any federal bureaucracy.

But I doubt the GOP even considered anything such as that. They don’t care about these first responders, their life means absolutely nothing to that party. They never urged the local government to act on the issue to help those people and they never will because they simply don’t care.

Both sides are an absolute joke.

edit on 12/11/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Senate Republicans will not agree to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to any legislative item until the funding of the government into the next year is passed.

All 42 members of the Senate Republican caucus signed a letter Wednesday to Majority Leader Harry Reid vowing to block all legislation until this is achieved.

I was pretty sure everyone knew about this but apparently not.

LINK

It's a good strategy for the democrats to pick these last few days to introduce these Bills to the floor because they know the republicans will block it and then all the uniformed moonbats can call them 9/11 hero-hating poo poo heads.
edit on 11-12-2010 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
The Republicans have allowed roughly two trillion in spending and the extension of unemployment benefits which is attached to their oh so important tax cuts. So while everyone can defend them for sticking to their guns on spending, they actually aren't, as they easily compromised their stated ideals so they could get the tax cuts. The Dems are no better. I don't prefer or support either party, and I don't agree with providing a welfare state, but a government needs to exist, and it should perform certain functions.

Taking care of the people who responded on that day should be up there on anyone's priority list. While I commend those who do advocate for less spending, I'm right there with you, this is an area where we could, say, not give foreign aid to another country in order to help our own citizens. Like the 7.5 billion dollars our elected representatives agreed to give Pakistan at the exact same time this piece of legislation initially came up.

This also, however, would blur the line as to what is catastrophic enough to warrant government aid, and I get it, but that is why our political process exists, to talk about issues such as this, not spew hate on petty issues that only exacerbate our larger problems.

These people could also be taken care of by a number of charities which formerly existed, yet did not pay their fair share of the money for financing our government, which led to ludicrous legislation being implemented.
edit on 11-12-2010 by MGriff because: (no reason given)

top topics

join