It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has happened to the "American dream"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
24 Signs That All Of America Is Becoming Just Like Detroit - A Rotting, Post-Industrial, Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c2651abb290d.jpg[/atsimg]

For years, people have been laughing at the horrific economic decline of Detroit. Well, guess what? The same thing that happened to Detroit is now happening to dozens of other communities across the United States. From coast to coast there are formerly great manufacturing cities that have turned into rotting, post-industrial war zones. In particular, in America's "rust belt" you can drive through town after town after town that resemble little more than post-apocalyptic wastelands. In many U.S. cities, the "real" rate of unemployment is over 30 percent. There are some communities that will start depressing you almost the moment you drive into them. It is almost as if all of the hope has been sucked right out of those communities.

Meanwhile, the economic downturn has been incredibly hard on the finances of state and local governments across the United States. Unlike the federal government, state and local governments cannot use the Federal Reserve to play games with their exploding debt burdens. Facing horrific budget deficits, many communities have begun adopting "austerity measures" in an attempt to slow the flow of red ink. All over the nation, deep budget cuts are slashing police departments, fire departments and other basic social services, but it seems like no matter what many of these communities try the debt just keeps growing.

So when you combine economic hopelessness with drastic budget cuts, what you get are hordes of communities from coast to coast that are becoming just like Detroit. In the city of Detroit today, there are over 33,000 abandoned houses, 44 schools have been permanently closed down, the mayor wants to bulldoze one-fourth of the city and you can literally buy a house for one dollar in the worst areas. Many Americans thought that it was funny to make fun of Detroit, but little did they know that what happened there would soon start happening everywhere.

In the following article are 24 signs that all America is becoming a rotting, post-industrial, post apocalyptic wasteland just like Detroit.

And besides this all, the government is still spending billions of Dollars each year for weaponry. Keep this up and there will be no more country to be defended.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Just to illustrate how fast the debt is building up, I have here a link to a real time debtclock

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DutchBigBoy

Perhaps the USA could become some sort of reality safari park,see Philadelphia an urban war zone,visit Fresno Chrystal meth capital of America,visit Gary Indiana vast industrial wasteland, the possibilities are endless I can see tourists viewing the wildlife from their tourist Bradley fighting vehicles.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

From 1st world to 3rd world in less than a decade, I wonder if the US is just trying to set a world record for the rampant decline of an Empire?

The sad reality is a great depression is already here, engineered by the bankers and global government. There was a war that was fought and won against America, the enemy was within. Look around and this is the tyranny at work destroying the country from within while America slumbers and dines of fast-food and reality TV.

I think it's too late. The ship has too much water and is sinking, time to abandon ship.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Everyone went to sleep trying to reach it

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Here you can see how bad it all is.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

coming from across the sea I can imagine how tailored to your dialogue these videos fit your needs.

I would have to tell you how old those houses are... but again coming from somewhere else I would not expect you to know this nor to see the huge new development right across the street.

edit on 12/10/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DutchBigBoy
Here you can see how bad it all is.

yes in this one localized area, you guys found it good work... but I say this one area of Detroit has been a wasteland since even I was born.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think ignorance and complacency allowed it to be turned into the nightmare it is now.

We are responsible,we can fix it.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

well without all this carbon tax and trade BS and the outsourcing of American manufacturing so the fat cats can get even fatter we would have never lost our manufacturing in the first place.

sold out !

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

I can find many more of those video's also about other cities. The point of this threat is that the government keeps spending money on weapons instead of giving it's own country a boost.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

yeah that's so we can bomb you commie bastids back to the stone age

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Go into your Bathroom and take a minute to reflect, throw something in the toilet(nothing that can damage it) something like a peice of paper or a leaf and flush.... that is what has happened to the American Dream, and the people who did it are the corporate jack A's And our beloved (COUGH COUGH) elected officials.
Thank God for America.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
you would've done the same dang thing don't lie !

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Greed* Thats what has happened. CEO's figured out, in order to get their million dollar bonus, and make unpresidented millions in salary alone, they cut employee hours, cut the working staff. I work in retail management,f or a CVS so i know how it really works. This week sometime, a truck driver for CVS was telling me last night, 500 emplyees up at corporate were let go* the word, was becuase they were doing jobs that were not really productive. CVS likes to throw its money around, depsite its lawsuites* being greedy and hiring secratarys and xtra lawyers and accountants jsut to have them on hand is a gross misuse of company money*
Obviously the accountants too were let go* i wonder why...
All the outsourcing going, thier trying to make america a 3rd world country. it seems to me, in some sense, many are getting rich off the ssytem and dont are what really happens once theyve gotten thier land and supplys* Working in buisness, they oh so do promote stepping on everyone else around you to make money* seems like this has spread like cancer to congress, the white house, and the free market. Well, the hijacked market is a more appropriate term i think...
Pensions used to be untouchable, so was your Social security, and 401K* Now everything, except your SS so far, can be touched, and tha includes your bank account* jobs are becoming scarce, CEO's are the only ones next to the powerball ticket winner, making money, and they are by todays standards, teh same ones who have bought promises of greed and corruption into congress, making laws that affect and take away form us, rather than being REAL politicans, and working with people to fix and resolve problems. the only answers they seem to have is how to dry a city up and leave as many as possible without jobs.
Education system has gone to hell and everyone knows it* or in capitol hill, thier heads must be so high up in the clouds, they arnt aware of whats going on around them* seems to be the case. either htat or thier that arrogent and in denial without proper information*
GReed* pure and siple has done what its done to places like detroit* instaed of taking care of the middle class worker, thier destroying it all. NWO in effect

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
It was exported at face value.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

I won't lie, but I wouldn't have. I might not be the best son in law you would wish but I still help people around me, like old people having trouble with groceries i.e.

You can't speak for me.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I won't lie, but I wouldn't have. I might not be the best son in law you would wish but I still help people around me, like old people having trouble with groceries i.e.

You can't speak for me.

that response was to ldyserenity comment, besides I am just playing around.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
What happened to the American Dream?

Reality.

What has happened to the rest of the world?

Reality.

We were living in a dream. A make pretend world where no one gets sick and you can have anything you want if you just want it bad enough. Then getting what you want was not the result of hard work but of Jesus stating that you are loved and appreciated. Poor people existed only because they either chose to or were an upset to Jesus. We were living in a place where people had to give you what you wanted because quite simply, it was the right thing to do. We choose to not believe that things cost money. Money had become merely an inconvenience. An uncomfortable subject that just gets in the way of what we want. So we found ways around it.

Then, as with all dreams, we woke up.

Reality.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

You can't speak for me.

that response was to ldyserenity comment, besides I am just playing around.

Sorry my bad :-)
edit on 10-12-2010 by DutchBigBoy because: typo

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join