It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pop Up Protests - The little People going after the coporate tax dodgers!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
A protest movement in the UK seems to be gaining ground, but with Wikileaks in the headlines they are gaining little media attention, so I thought I would share this protest movement with you in case you missed it

A bit about the group and it's aims www.ukuncut.org.uk...

Big Society Revenue & Customs (BSRC)

At the same time as making massive cuts to public services, this government is letting rich individuals and corporations avoid billions of pounds of tax. Join UK Uncut’s Big Society Revenue & Customs (BSRC) and become part of an army of citizen volunteers determined to make wealthy tax avoiders pay.

If they won't chase them, we will

**Side Note: "Big Society" is a reference to the UK Governments Flagship policy to create a climate that empowers local people and communities, building a big society that will 'take power away from politicians and give it to people'. en.wikipedia.org... **

There have been a number of protests leading up to the ones this weekend (4th December) with further protests planned for next weekend (11th Dec) the aim is to make corporate tax avoiders pay, and it seems pay one way or another!

UK Uncut targets Topshop and Vodafone over tax arrangements.

Movement invades stores in push for government to tax the rich and big companies more instead of making budget cuts

With superglue and megaphones, pop-up protests forced several branches of Topshop and Vodafone around the country to close today on one of the busiest trading days of the year.

Campaigners staged a sit-in at Sir Philip Green's flagship London Topshop store, and in Brighton a few glued themselves to the branch windows, while other high streets in towns and cities across Britain saw similar protests in a day of action against the tax arrangements of rich individuals and big businesses.

more at the link
www.guardian.co.uk...

According to the BBC protests where held in 21 Cities across Britain.

While in Sussex the Police arrested 18 in Brighton ( Sussex Police Statement that claims 8 protesters super-glued themselves to shop windows
much better than the usual window smashing protests we have seen of late)

I have to admit that I like the idea of the people going where the government are reluctant to go, and looking at the list of corporates that are being targeted next, they include many of the high street banks including Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, and many high street stores including Boots, Wallis, DottyP, Evans, and Vodafone.

related links
Teleg raph

edit on 5/12/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I have been following UKUNCUT on twitter, they seem to be doing some really inovative forms of protesting, especially with their protests against vodaphone and topshop. I'm hoping their popularity increases. I have decided that as someone classified with a disability, yet still capable of protesting, It is my duty to protest the upcoming cuts to disability living allowance. Many disabled people are living in the fear of their meager allowances being cut in half. Many of these people do not have the ability to protest and take to the streets, being either bed bound or wheel chair bound. Im hoping the students and other protestors will take up this cause when the time comes.

Disabled people are one of the most vulnerable in our society and it is now up to us to provide a voice for the voiceless.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I've been following them too, but hadn't expected the protests to get up to this level this quickly.. tho I do like they way they've piggy backed on the Govs own flagship policy, that does make me smile

This type of protesting does remind me of the style of the 1800s (Ludites, Swing Protests) with no central leadership to each protest, just the people protesting against unfairness in out society, which I am sure will not only draw more people but opens the door for the protests to spread to other areas of injustice and unfairness in our society.

And I do like their style of imaginative protesting.. as they say on their website, mischievous as opposed to violent
which is much more my style.

Your right tho, we do need to give a voice to the voiceless in our society
I certainly will be considering joining the Brighton ones, tho without the super glue

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Yo, I live near Brighton and I've heard stories of the protests of Vodafone, a handful of people making a ruckus, if only the media would cover the issue properly many more would turn up. Brighton used to be a hot-bed of protest but there is a lot of London money moving into the area and the place has really changed.

The protest talks about the very rich avoiding 25 billion in taxes and a total of 125 billion UK of taxes not collected in total, yet it's me and my friends who have to tighten our collect belt to help the economy. No way! Tax the rich according to the law and then we can have a discussion.

The UK government is a joke, only in it for themselves, Vodafone got away with a 6 billion uk tax bill and then one of their employees gets a job with the ruling coalition.

Peace

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by yyyyyyyyyy

I grew up in Brighton, but moved outside the town in the Lewes district as I can't stand the way Brighton has changed into a real mini me of London
bah humbugs
But it is good to see some spirit back in the place
I am sure next time it'll be more interesting and more mischievous

I personally think this is a really good way to get some fairness back in our society..

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
It is truly shocking that a government full of millionares can do this to the general public, the UK government has people making the decisions that dont even pay into the tax, and they are british. Its called tax evasion and the average joe bloggs will go to prison for this but the government NO.

Here is some more info regarding the group that is standing up against tax evasion by big businesses.

www.indymedia.org.uk...

Next year is going to be a rough year in the UK, seat belts on and and be safe.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by blaenau2000

Thanks for the link.. as a small businessman I certainly would end up in court (and worse) for tax evasion and yet these guys just get away with it to the tune of billions..

Well if Cameron et al really want a "Big Society" then perhaps it is down to us to get the rich to cough up and pay their fair share

It seems we have another series of protests planned for this weekend (11th Dec, including High Street Banks) as much as I feel sure these protests will grow and spread
it'll be interesting to see *if* the police change tactics when high street banks are protested against in the fashion as the high street stores!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I can't wait for the Dec 7th bank run! I've purposely run my acount overdraft to max & they've predictably slapped me with HUGE penalties for not clearing it on time. How sad... Dec 7th, I'm going to my branch to cut up my cards in front of the staff & tell them where to shove their fees.... AND the overdraft, since I've already been slapped with hundreds in charges over the last 2 years.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by HelionPrime

I'd forgotten that
thanks for reminding me [so much is happening at the moment] It's be interesting to see how that plays with the upcoming high street bank protests on the 11th Dec.

Could add up to an interesting ride ahead, what with so many businesses already slashing prices, and going into sale mode, it almost seems they have already dropped into survival mode.. so I have to wonder what is "just around the corner"

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
See my signature. You are way late with this.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I did a search and missed your post, but still it is not in the same forum
regardless of that I hope I did not tread on your toes
as that was not my intent

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

No, not at all. What really pees me off is the complete lack of interest on ATS for this sort of thing.

If it said "Christian Corporate UFO dodgers have a scary dream to avoid tax before Nibiru strikes on Armageddon" they would be all over it.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by yyyyyyyyyy

Yo, I live near Brighton and I've heard stories of the protests of Vodafone, a handful of people making a ruckus, if only the media would cover the issue properly many more would turn up. Brighton used to be a hot-bed of protest but there is a lot of London money moving into the area and the place has really changed.

The protest talks about the very rich avoiding 25 billion in taxes and a total of 125 billion UK of taxes not collected in total, yet it's me and my friends who have to tighten our collect belt to help the economy. No way! Tax the rich according to the law and then we can have a discussion.

The UK government is a joke, only in it for themselves, Vodafone got away with a 6 billion uk tax bill and then one of their employees gets a job with the ruling coalition.

Peace

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
ha ha oops was just meant to quote the last bit about vodafone, heres another take on it, absolute shoite if you ask me, considering my works been hoying redundancies out left, right and centre. NHS by the way

m.guardian.co.uk...

top topics

join