It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vintage newsfootage of the Berwyn Mountains UFO incident of 1974

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Some nice footage of Berwyn Mountain UFO crash witnesses interviewed in 1974 by the BBC. MOD files state that it was a misidentified simultaneous earthquake and meteorite event. Re-interviewed earlier this year, one witness still claims that what he saw was a flying saucer. Roswell is referenced.

Berwyn Mountains UFO crash

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by torsion

Great find - this one was new to me.

I love the official explanation: An earthquake combined with a meteorite. LMAO - are you kidding me?

Great example of the Coincidence Coefficient theory: i.e. the probability that an explanation is full of crap is directly proportional to the number of and/or incredulity level of the coincidences needed to support it.

Thanks for posting this.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
thanks for sharing
i was aware of the event but never realy seen or read much about it.
what i find awsome about the video is the first interview withe the witness. talking about being on the local pubs dart team. "which was a very good team as it happens" . psml. lol.

absolutly classic.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riffrafter
I love the official explanation: An earthquake combined with a meteorite. LMAO - are you kidding me?

Great example of the Coincidence Coefficient theory: i.e. the probability that an explanation is full of crap is directly proportional to the number of and/or incredulity level of the coincidences needed to support it.
There were at least 4 large meteors that night, at different times, and none of them coincide exactly with the time of the Earthquake, so it's not as much of a coincidence as that story suggests, though there is some small coincidence I suppose:

www.uk-ufo.org...

Records kept by the Astronomy Department at Leicester University, among other places, show that a number of outstanding bolide meteors were seen that night. These coincided with the approximate times given by witnesses in north Wales. The first was at 7.25pm, followed by another at 8.15pm. The third, at 8.30pm, co-incided with the centrepiece of the evening’s events. And yet another, the most dramatic of all, was seen at 9.55pm. Bolide meteors are considerable brighter and longer lived than ordinary ‘shooting stars’. They can appear to be very low, depending on the position of the witness, and often trail ‘sparks’ of blue and green across the sky. Bolide meteors are responsible for many misperceptions of UFOs and even fool the emergency services who are often called out to ‘plane crashes only to discover the witnesses had seen a bright bolide meteor.

At exactly 8.38pm the Bala area was rocked by a huge explosion, closely followed by a deep rumbling.
Because of reports of lights in the sky that evening, it was initially thought that a meteorite had impacted on the Berwyns. Many people across North Wales claimed to have seen a light in the sky ‘trailing sparks’. But this was seen at 8.30pm, eight minutes before the explosion, and witness descriptions indicate that it was yet another bright fireball meteor. Nonetheless in the minds of many it has become conflated with the ‘explosion’ to create evidence of a crash.

The explosion was heard only in the Bala area but the tremor was felt as far away as Liverpool. By 2pm on the 24th January seismologists had determined the explosion and tremor were caused by an earthquake of 4-5 on the Richter scale. It’s epicentre was the Bala area at a depth of eight kilometres. To cause a reading of that magnitude, a solid object - meteorite or UFO - would have weighed several hundred tons and left a massive crater. Therefore, unless a UFO had crashed at the exact moment of an earth tremor, it can be safely assumed that the explosion and rumblings were the result of a purely natural process.
That article is 7 pages long, very informative, and answers lots of questions the OP/video doesn't even ask, such as there were some poachers in the area with lights questioned by police that may explain some of the lights that some people saw afterward making them think there was a crash:

www.uk-ufo.org...

The BGS records note the poachers, ‘continued work for half an hour to forty five minutes’ after the 8.38pm earth tremor, and it was early in this time period the beams were seen.
Interesting story, but it seems some people are trying to make it out to be something other than what it actually was.

edit on 1-12-2010 by Arbitrageur because: fix typo

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

The poachers lights is hilarious. Ever seen one? They are called Poacher's lights because the only person who can really see its' light are the poachers. The two Nurses described a huge ball of light sitting on the side of the hill. which they assumed was the light of aviation fuel burning. That's a million miles from a tiny personal light used by a poacher.

There undoubtedly a couple of fireballs that night and there was an Earthquake. Neither of those were responsible for the lights seen on that hill side. Personally, I'd guess it was some sort of Earth Light, which are often seen in cahoots with Earth tremors.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

You may be right about that.

I'm not familiar with Poachers lights, and I have heard about Earth lights being associated with Earthquakes.

new topics

top topics

join