It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. Korea counterfire killed one N. Korean officer, wounded two: activist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

S. Korea

english.yonhapnews.co.kr

SEOUL, Nov. 30 (Yonhap) -- An anti-North Korea activist in Seoul said Tuesday that North Korea suffered just one death from South Korea's return fire during cross-border gunfire exchanges in the Yellow Sea on Nov. 23.

Choi Sung-yong, the head of a group of relatives of South Koreans kidnapped by North Korea, told reporters that he has obtained intelligence that one North Korean officer was killed and two soldiers were wounded by South Korean artillery fired from Yeonpyeong Island.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 30-11-2010 by peter_kandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I don't know if this is a reliable source or not, but hopefully the violence stops here. I'm concerned about what, if anything NK will do once the military exercises stop. China supposedly urged the members of the 6-party to reconsider an emergency meeting early in December. If everyone agrees, maybe that can start to bring some stability to the area.

english.yonhapnews.co.kr
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
i thought with the heading of this thread that south korea had decided to retaliate...like today....u fooled me!
but yea...meh

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Ummm Interesting but....
This obviously isnt breaking news since it happened a week ago....

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I'm not sure this will escalate into anything further if wikileaks can be believed at all, I think China said it best about Kim Jong Il being nothing other than a spoiled child that wants nothing other than to get his own way and must throw a temper tantrum in order to get what he wants.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I am wondering if this is an effort to descalate tensions for the South. With the South and the North pulling their sharks and jets routine, they were looking for ways to descalate the tension, more so for the South whose people are wanting kims head on a platter.

Think it might be possible this is just a head fake? Let the people in the South think it was not a one sided loss that day. It might be enough to calm down some of the calls for retaliation.

Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
I am wondering if this is an effort to descalate tensions for the South. With the South and the North pulling their sharks and jets routine, they were looking for ways to descalate the tension, more so for the South whose people are wanting kims head on a platter.

Think it might be possible this is just a head fake? Let the people in the South think it was not a one sided loss that day. It might be enough to calm down some of the calls for retaliation.

Just a thought.

Good point. Could be propaganda, considering SK did announ live fire drills starting on Dec 6th.

"SEOUL, Nov. 30 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's military plans to conduct large-scale artillery firing drills in seas around the Korean Peninsula, including waters close to the Yellow Sea border, starting Dec. 6, seeking to beef up its defense readiness posture against any possible additional provocations by North Korea, officials said Tuesday.

According to officials at the Korea Hydrographic and Oceanographic Administration, the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) has issued an advisory to local vessels planning to navigate 29 locations in waters around the peninsula from Dec. 6-12."

english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeBrooklyn
Ummm Interesting but....
This obviously isnt breaking news since it happened a week ago....

While the event is a week old, the casualty info isn't. I guess no one will be interested in the Wiki bank documents next month since it'll be old news and the events will have happened months, if not years earlier.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by peter_kandra

Noone stated that it wasnt interesting or important as we all know it is.
But if you put it under "breaking alternative news" it will lead some people to believe that it couldve just happened as in today. You couldve added "just revealed" or something of that nature in your title. Just my opinion.

But i do agree this madness needs to stop

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by WeBrooklyn

Yeah, no offense taken.
Sometimes it's a PITA to figure out which forum to post stuff in.

top topics

join