It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Change Causes Sea Level Rise of 1 Whole Millimeter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
In 6 years the average rise was an entire millimeter. What is weird is that in the east coasts the sea retreated. Like maybe from a gravity pull. So much for man made global warming. I also love their headline: Satellites Reveal Rising Seas. LOL. LINK-An entire millimeter!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Do I panic now?
Or maybe I should wait another micrometer or two.
What do you think?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
If it goes at this steady rate that means a 10cm rise in 600 years. Wow. By then we'll be fighting the intergalactic pleideans in Galactic War 4.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by thewanger

How funny is that.
1 millimeter.
I wonder how much Ice would have to melt to raise the entire planets oceans by 1 millimeter.
The Earths ocean surface area is 335,258,000 sq km.
And it has risen on average by 1 millimeter.
But anyway, its small potatoes, right.
Only 6 years to melt enough ice to raise 335,258,000 sq km of ocean by 1 millimeter.

Riccardo Riva, one of the authors of the report looking at years 2003-09, said that the average rise in sea levels is mostly due to meltwater entering the oceans

“These effects are still small in today’s rising ocean, but as we look out over the next century, the patterns of sea level change due to melting ice will be magnified many times over as the ice sheets thin and melt,” Willis said.

Agreed.
Thats exactly what scientists have been saying for ages now.
But, who cares when you can dismiss it all by saying "look" it is only went up 1 millimeter.

OP, can I ask you a question.
What if the Ice starts melting more quickly, all over the planet?

Go back to sleep, it will be all ok.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yay another day, another distorted thread on climate change

Here's the thing about sea levels: much like temperature, they are quite variable. Short term trends tell us very little about the complete picture, especially if you pick the wrong endpoints. See the following graph:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/866b23d2870b.jpg[/atsimg]

Source

So if you look at the right points in 2003-2009, yeah - it appears there was very little overall change. But of course once you zoom out you get an entirely different story. You get that 3.1 +/- 0.4 mm/yr trend.

And as atlasastro alluded to, this is not considering the fact that melting of ice sheets is accelerating. Here's a recent article on this from the NY times:
As Glaciers Melt, Science Seeks Data on Rising Seas

And once you factor that in, you start to get projections that look like this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/506fd97d45c7.jpg[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

join