It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Residential explosion leads authorities to massive cache of homemade explosive compounds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Residential explosion leads authorities to massive cache of homemade explosive compounds

www.rawstory.com

In a little noticed report over the weekend, a gardener was in serious condition after triggering an explosion when he stepped in a powdery substance on the grounds.

On Saturday, over 9 pounds of the explosive compound Hexamethylene Triperoxide Diamine (HMTD) were discovered on the Escondido property grounds, and successfully detonated in the backyard with the help of a remote-controlled robot. The detonations led to weekend shut-downs of near-by Interstate 15, and evacuations of some area ho
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

San Diego news reported today that Jakubec, the man accused of "robbing banks and having the largest cache of homemade explosive compounds ever found in one spot on U.S. soil was ordered by a judge Monday to remain in custody on $5 million bail." Investigators with the FBI, ATF and San Diego County Sheriff's Department also came across other explosive compounds known by the acronyms of ETN and PETN, the prosecutor said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What was this guy planning to do with these explsoives? He doesn't seem like an islamic terrorist, at least with the information I have thus far. Was an attack being planned in Southern California?

It makes you wonder how many other gardeners have explsoives factories in their homes? I wonder if this incident will be exploited by authorities to allow them to violate us at home now, at least more than they already do.

--airspoon

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Thats what I was thinking my first notion wasn't islamic terrorist and the added bank robbery is a bit strange cause thats not the typical terrorist MO to much exposure to much risk to accomplish the mission. Maybe this guy was another Mcveigh/ Rudolph like criminal that was just caught in time. I can only wonder though if this person intended on using these explosives or if he had them in storage for someone else?
edit on 23-11-2010 by Brotherman because: Making sentance complete

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Lucky no one was seriously injured. I hope they question the hell out of this guy and find out what exactly necessitates such explosives.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
What was this guy planning to do with these explsoives?
I can only guess, but my guess would be, if the bank robber accusation is true, then explosives might come in handy to anyone trying to blow open a safe or a vault?

$5 million bail? They are taking this guy seriously!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I would tend to believe that explosives would come in handy if you needed to open a vault but I cannot think that someone robbing a bank in this day and age would have the time to blow open a safe however the threat of a suicide vest or strategically placed vehicle born improvised explosives would come in handy as a contingency plan to either distract, intervene, harrass, or plainly turn order to chaos during the robbery, in retaliation of impedeing law enforcement, a distraction while said bank is to be robbed, or a threat tactic on hostages. I can only speculate the why's because I don't know enough about the suspect.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman
I cannot think that someone robbing a bank in this day and age would have the time to blow open a safe
Yeah, I've probably watched too many movies!

But the suicide vest you mentioned is a plausible scenario, I agree.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I just dont see why people these days have to be such absolutists anyways, the idea that they must have the option to kill themselves, its pitiful that people practice this. I would tend to think thought that with the amounts and kind of explosives this guy had though probably wouldn't be Ideal for a vest though. It actually would lead me to believe the purpose would be of a more nefarious nature yet to be seen, or he has a sick fascination with blowing things up and is a thrill seeker/ psychopath that only (if he actually did) robbed a bank and was making bombs as a means to satisfying some kind of misplaced perception of reality and where his belief system allows him to stand in this place. There are some truly diluted people in the world and I am never one to rule out the thrill seeker scenario, it truly does take some balls to do what he allegedly did (not that I admire it or condone it) but brass cohones for sure only so many types of people can go "that" far the ultra brave and the mentally ill.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

I suspect the investigation still has a long ways to go and it might reveal more about his motivations, which we might learn about as his case approaches trial.

Until then we can only speculate based on the limited information we have.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

You want to rob a bank theres an App for that jk... I am sure it will pan out to be something wierd things llike this usually do. At least if he did rob the bank he didn't try and parachute out of a plane with a butt load of money like others in the past, maybe he has seen too many movies john dilinger would have probably called him a you know what

top topics

join