It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coalition of 45 groups seeks investigation of FBI over peace activist raids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Coalition of 45 groups seeks investigation of FBI over peace activist raids

www.rawstory.com

On September 24th, the FBI raided the homes of 14 peace activists in Minneapolis and Chicago, ostensibly searching for possible "material support" to terrorist organizations.

Nearly two months later, a coalition of 45 civil rights, human rights, peace and environmental groups have mounted a campaign to press Congress for an investigation of federal law enforcement's conduct, claiming the raids violated constitutional protections and could reflect a growing politicization of law enforcement.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

"These raids suggest an ongoing trend of intrusive government surveillance of progressive activists in the United States," they wrote in a joint letter to President Barack Obama, Attorney General Eric Holder, the leaders of Congress and FBI director Robert Mueller. "Prosecutions for protected political activity have a chilling effect, not just in the communities in which they occur, but also on the First Amendment rights of all Americans."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Of course the FBI should be investigated and not necessarily the agents who were just doing their job, but rather the premise that allowed such a thing. In a free society, you can not have the authorities intimidating or squelching the peoples' right to exert their view, so long as these activists groups are within the confines of the Constitution.

Look what this country is turning into. We have the FBI raiding and infiltrating activists group. We have forced molestings or dangerous and unhealthy strip searches. We have millions of people being held against their will for what amounts to political crimes and now you are considered a terrorist for questioning your government, a process which is just as American as apple pie.

When the American people can no longer question their government or hold them accountable, then freedom becomes astranged and in its place comes a breeding ground of tyranny. When the government makes descisions for or in spite of the people, instead of by or of the people, then again freedom becomes only a buzzword used to subdue.

We can not allow this to happen and expect freedom to prevail.

--airspoon

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Hurray! A good news story for once. Thanks for bringing it up.

This kind of challenge is exactly what is needed. I'll bet there will be a very lukewarm response, if anything at all, but that does not matter. It will take consistent and repeated challenges like this to make a difference.

My fear is that you have almost gone too far down the road of tyranny to turn back, but of course it is never too late to put up a good fight. Once your government becomes a brutal dictatorship; its only a matter of time before other democracies fall to the same fate. So my hope is with those brave enough to stand up to the FBI and all the other alphabet goons.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Get ready to shake your head and move to the next road sign.

People will read this story and remember the images from Toronto...peace activists standing around a burning RCMP car chanting. I don't know how much it was covered/repeated elsewhere, but the story here in Canada was mostly focused on the Black Bloc element.

...you know, the group dressed head-to-toe in black that have been repeatedly exposed as being disguised police, specifically there to ensure that a riot starts.

The problem here is that by focussing on this group all protestors become violent. One of the things that was repeatedly mentioned here was that these people were hard to catch as they carried thier outfit to the protest, changed into it to start violence and then changed back to aviod being caught.

Over and over again they kept repeating this idea. How many got the not-so-subtle hint I wonder.

Add to that the image of a burning police car. That image alone was worth the 1.2 billion that was paid for the G# Summits (and if I didn't know better, that car burned for days according to the news. There was a screen overlay loop to ensure that everyone who turned on the news got to see).

All this case will do is test the waters.

Will this go away (we are 'ready'), or will people force the issue (more 'work' needs to be done on us)?

Dangerous times.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
You can be guaranteed of a backlash from the federales.....
These groups better be prepared for their rights to be infringed big time now.They better be livin squeeky cleen for a while....(at least for the next decade.....)Though i wish them Godspeed; If this goes to trial ill be surprised.....i think the judge will quash it before it gets to that...hell say theres no grounds or some such BS.......
Good catch airspoon, i hope this gives TPTB a little bit of pause before they make the next jump......

top topics

join