It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaking Siberian ice raises a tricky climate issue

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I found this article and was stunned by it.

CHERSKY, Russia (AP) — The Russian scientist shuffles across the frozen lake, scuffing aside ankle-deep snow until he finds a cluster of bubbles trapped under the ice. With a cigarette lighter in one hand and a knife in the other, he lances the ice like a blister. Methane whooshes out and bursts into a thin blue flame.

Gas locked inside Siberia's frozen soil and under its lakes has been seeping out since the end of the last ice age 10,000 years ago. But in the past few decades, as the Earth has warmed, the icy ground has begun thawing more rapidly, accelerating the release of methane — a greenhouse gas 23 times more powerful than carbon dioxide — at a perilous rate.

Some scientists believe the thawing of permafrost could become the epicenter of climate change. They say 1.5 trillion tons of carbon, locked inside icebound earth since the age of mammoths, is a climate time bomb waiting to explode if released into the atmosphere.

"Here, total carbon storage is like all the rain forests of our planet put together," says the scientist, Sergey Zimov — "here" being the endless sweep of snow and ice stretching toward Siberia's gray horizon, as seen from Zimov's research facility nearly 350 kilometers (220 miles) above the Arctic Circle.

read the full article here.

Many of you see the climate change as a hoax, but this is a major thing when that methane will come into to atmosphere.

What is your opinion in this?

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Better change to clean sources of energy then.

Not hard.

They exist.

*cough*

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DutchBigBoy

climat change isn't a hoax the fact it is caused by man is.
2nd line

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
Better change to clean sources of energy then.

Not hard.

They exist.

*cough*

Indeed they exist but are not used yet because of the big energy and oil companies who what to make money.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I wish people would just look at a graph over time
Climate was changing up and down through many Ice ages and warm periods long before man ever arrived on the scene
I can't understand how that goes ignored by the man made global warming crowd.
Unless they have invested in carbon credit trading and they don't want anyone to notice that because thier carbon trading investment would fall to zero.
get a job
but not one critical to the well being of other people.

if man made global warmists have their way the result will be millions dead because of the financial repercussions, thats a bigger danger then MMGW
duh

edit on 21-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-11-2010 by Danbones because: to remove the phrase homicidal crimminal insanity

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Of course the climate will change and will continue to change with and without man-kind, that does not imply that we are not in actuality having a significant effect on the climate either nor does it imply that what we are doing now won't have a very large negative effect. Get it right.

Also previous climate change events can be studied in great detail - we can look at what caused these past climate changes and examine the effect they had. By deducing what caused these climate change events we can find the effect that man-made emissions will have on the climate - warming. This is actually a fundamental part of modern climatology. Previous climate changes, therefore, merely reinforce the notion that our emissions are and will adversely change the climate.

if man made global warmists have their way the result will be millions dead because of the financial repercussions, thats a bigger danger then MMGW

Baloney.

Nobody here is suggesting that we should support the political agenda for carbon credit fees on developing nations nor carbon taxes on developing nations. There are plenty of wars to fight climate change, what you have done is cherry pick one and form a straw-man around it. Create an international framework into moving to a carbon-free economy at minimal cost, support research and development into low-cost sustainable energy at a lower cost than fossil fuels, or support tax and 100% dividend (that's where you tax polluters and give 100% of the money back to the people in tax reduction or otherwise).

edit on 21/11/10 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
I wish people would just look at a graph over time
Climate was changing up and down through many Ice ages and warm periods long before man ever arrived on the scene
I can't understand how that goes ignored by the man made global warming crowd.
Unless they have invested in carbon credit trading and they don't want anyone to notice that because thier carbon trading investment would fall to zero.
get a job
but not one critical to the well being of other people.

duh

You are quite right about that but the planet hasn't been that populated as these days before and will have more effect then before.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by vkturbo

2nd line

Agreed. It's just their attempts at misdirection to try to push their proven "cherry picked" data. It just amazes me when "scientists" present "scientific conclusions", and when they are asked to present the raw data, they can't or won't.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Climate change is real it is the supposed man-made cause that is a hoax. They want us to feel guilty so when they tax us for breathing we will think its fair and accept paying for air, like we do water.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

www.opentemp.org...

clearclimatecode.org...

edgcm.columbia.edu...

www.woodfortrees.org/

www.eecg.utoronto.ca...

or by 'raw data' are you talking about building a dedicated planet and then waiting 100 years or something silly like that?

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
OK correct me if I am wrong.
The premiss of the article is that the melting ice is causing the gas to be released. Yet the article also states that the methane has been leaking for 10,000 years. If the methane has not escaped at the same rate as it is leaked their must be one huge methane bubble under the ice. And this scientist is walking around Siberia with a lighter. This could make Tangusta look like 4th of July celebration.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by nocents
OK correct me if I am wrong.
The premiss of the article is that the melting ice is causing the gas to be released. Yet the article also states that the methane has been leaking for 10,000 years. If the methane has not escaped at the same rate as it is leaked their must be one huge methane bubble under the ice. And this scientist is walking around Siberia with a lighter. This could make Tangusta look like 4th of July celebration.

You aren't wrong it has been leaking for thousands of years but the last 30 years it is accelerating, that is what they are troubled about.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

www.opentemp.org...

clearclimatecode.org...

edgcm.columbia.edu...

www.woodfortrees.org/

www.eecg.utoronto.ca...

or by 'raw data' are you talking about building a dedicated planet and then waiting 100 years or something silly like that?

Excellent example of misdirection there.

Climate change data dumped

SCIENTISTS at the University of East Anglia (UEA) have admitted throwing away much of the raw temperature data on which their predictions of global warming are based.

It means that other academics are not able to check basic calculations said to show a long-term rise in temperature over the past 150 years.

The UEA’s Climatic Research Unit (CRU) was forced to reveal the loss following requests for the data under Freedom of Information legislation.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by vkturbo

2nd line

After the global cooling caused by mt Toba's eruption the human population fell to 5000 that was natural, if we can easily mitigate the effects of natural global warming simply by opting to build Thorium reactors and cutting down our oil use surely that's a good thing all round.

Why is the USA's oil use so much higher than Europe's when it could be argued that across the board we have a higher standard of living?

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I am not deciding here if the climate change is a hoax or not, I will leave that to experts and I am no expert. I am just pointing a fact about the permafrost which is in a rapidly melting stage. And with all that methane in the ground and in the ice of the lakes it is reason for concern.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
There is a consensus among 97 % of the scientific community, specialized in climate related subjects.

They agree that the evidence suggest the climate change is caused or at least major influenced by man.

Yes you should feel guilty not because you are responsible, but you are one of many that use more then you need.
Don't fall for the money scam either. A carbon tax won't do any good. They will not solve the problem with it.

The methane comes in addition

edit on 11/21/2010 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

There is a consensus among 97 % of the scientific community, specialized in climate related subjects.

They agree that the evidence suggest the climate change is caused or at least major influenced by man.

Can we have a backing source for this statement? Thanks.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Can we have a backing source for this statement? Thanks.

here you go :-)

read this article

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

So a consensus in science is different from a political one. There is no vote. Scientists just give up arguing because the sheer weight of consistent evidence is too compelling, the tide too strong to swim against any longer.

I wonder how many were coerced to this "consensus"?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join