It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Turq) www.6billionminus1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Sheesh! i didn't even know ther was a short story competition going on until today..the last day of June! I dont know if this will be accepted but bah!

There are 6 billion people on this planet, all walking with their eyes fixated on the ground and their minds fixated on the next step they have to take. We fumble through bank accounts and prime-time sitcoms feeling so alone, so distant, so unwanted. But what we don�t see are the 6 billion other people on the planet taking those same steps, making those same transactions, and mindlessly participating in the same reruns we saw 4 nights ago. There are 6 billion people on this planet, and that�s too many to walk though in silence.

Wake up. Get dressed. Catch the bus. Find a seat. Get to work. Sit. Sit. Sit. Sit. Sit. Sit. Sit. Lunch. Sit. Sit. Sit. Sit. Catch the bus. Find a seat. Dinner. Undress. Sleep. Repeat.

This is Merrian�s life. Hell, maybe this is your life too. Merrian works for a major computer company. You probably called her because your modem was broken. You probably got frustrated when she put you on hold. You probably don�t remember her voice. She certainly doesn�t remember yours. Merrian played soccer when she was younger. Maybe you did too. Merrian wanted to be an actress. Maybe you did too. Merrian went to college. Maybe you did too. But whatever your probable pasts might be, you�ve both ended up in the same fate: Staring at a computer screen reading endless lines of text from someone you�ve never met, and probably won�t remember tomorrow.

Merrian woke up on Sunday morning, went to Church and didn�t even have to think about hymns she was singing. She came home and opened up her laptop with no technical errors. She turned on the TV. She sat. And suddenly her day off seemed exactly like her work. Sit. Sit. Sit. Sit. Sit. Page after page of code, images, text, html, www dot dot dot dot. The screen asked, �What religion are you?� Merrian didn�t know. The screen asked her about her antidepressants. She eyed the medicine cabinet. Every bottle was empty, months before they were supposed to be. She looked down at the keys. They spelled goodbye.

Wake up. Get dressed. Catch the bus. Find a seat. Get to work. Sit. Sit. Sit. Sit. Sit. Sit. Sit. Lunch. Sit. Sit. Sit. Sit. Catch the bus. Find a seat. Dinner. Undress. Sleep.

There�s over 6 billion people on this planet. Now there�s one less. And the only one who will remember her is the monitor, the code, images, text, html, www dot dot dot dot�

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
good story scat. I like it alot

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
thanks ww, these contests are hard for me, because im not too well aware with the scientific/technological know-how. thanks for the support hahaha

new topics

join