It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloomberg: Some new Congress people 'can't read'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg offered a colorful critique of some new incoming members of Congress over the weekend, saying during a trip through Hong Kong that many of them "can't read."

"If you look at the U.S., you look at who we're electing to Congress, to the Senate - they can't read. I'll bet you a bunch of these people don't have passports," said Bloomberg, according to the Wall Street Journal. "We're about to start a trade war with China if we're not careful here, only because nobody knows where China is. Nobody knows what China is."

Bloomberg, the former Republican-turned-independent three-term mayor of New York City, made the comments to reporters Saturday in Hong Kong after speaking to a conference of business leaders from around the world.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

Now I am certain that most of the new people elected to Congress can read, but what this article is talking about is this anti-China sentiment that these new incumbents have.

We have to walk a fine tightrope with China, not militarily but economically. China has spent a lot of money on our debt, and we also have a huge trade gap with China that has to be addressed carefully, what these people have to understand is that China does have the power right now to crush us economically, and if we aren't careful in our dealings with them they just might.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

what does is matter if they can read or not, when the ones that can read don't read the laws they are signing anyways???
heck, let's put grade school kids in there...bet we'd get better results....

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Why is the Mayor of New York visiting a country in a political manner? I think I have some reading material for him when he returns.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Exactly, mayor of new york, like the person before him, spends alot of time abroad visiting major cities, traveling the globe.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
They do that to try and drum up business for their cities. Which I believe is a good thing for Mayors to do.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
We shouldn't be slaves to the Chinese just because they are criminals... The only reason we have these problems is because China has been manipulating currency.. They buy our dollars and sell their yuan.. which makes their money worth a lot less and ours go up.. then they sell their exports 40% under the true value which makes it nearly impossible for us to compete. We keep printing money and they keep buying it. So, it seems as though the dollar is strong enough to produce more at that moment when in reality our dollars haven't gotten stronger they've just been bought by the Chinese with their worthless currency. Now when they stop buying and selling currency their yuan will skyrocket in value as the dollar drops off or if we're lucky remains steady.. China wants yuan to become the global trade currency.. But, then the fed has just made matters worse because they are about to print $600 billion more dollars we have no gold to back. It's almost as if this was a planned crash..

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Well since we are discussing the views of Bloomberg, let us take a gander at another critique by the Mayor of a city, shall we?

Bloomberg stated that someone was the most arrogant man he has ever met, allegedly. Of course now that the story has hit the media, oh no I never said that. Cheeky fella.

Hmmm, so Bloomberg thinking of running for president, distances his self from the Obama administration and now is calling the incoming freshmen representatives nothing more than a bunch of ignorant illiterates huh?

Oh yeah, this guy is not some elitist freak at all. I think we should actually listen to him, he does seem to have a good head on his shoulders.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Anything on the subject or are you just going to succumb to ad hominem attacks about anyone you feel slighted by?

Of course, had you actually read the article instead of just seeing Bloomberg and going into a rant about the person, you would realize that he believes that the new incumbents are illiterate as far as foreign policy goes. But you wouldn't know that because you failed to read the article, choosing instead to go on a hyper partisan rant on the subject.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kronnikx
We shouldn't be slaves to the Chinese just because they are criminals... The only reason we have these problems is because China has been manipulating currency.. They buy our dollars and sell their yuan.. which makes their money worth a lot less and ours go up.. then they sell their exports 40% under the true value which makes it nearly impossible for us to compete. We keep printing money and they keep buying it. So, it seems as though the dollar is strong enough to produce more at that moment when in reality our dollars haven't gotten stronger they've just been bought by the Chinese with their worthless currency. Now when they stop buying and selling currency their yuan will skyrocket in value as the dollar drops off or if we're lucky remains steady.. China wants yuan to become the global trade currency.. But, then the fed has just made matters worse because they are about to print $600 billion more dollars we have no gold to back. It's almost as if this was a planned crash..

Currency manipulation by China is HARDLY the only reason we have these problems. And for the record, the US is one of the most guilty nations in the world when it comes to currency manipulation - QE anyone???

The primary thrust of OUR problems is that WE have outsourced millions of decent paying jobs to third-world countries like China. We have taxed our citizenry to death. We have over-regulated small businesses to the point of non-existence. We have opened loop-holes that allow our major corporations to both exploit the tax code and poverty-stricken populations abroad for their cheap labor. We have stacked our regulatory agencies with industry insiders. And we have done nothing to stop the flow of money to the crooks who masquerade as civil servants in Washington DC. THAT is the primary crux of our problems. Fix those things and the China problem takes care of itself.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Well, here is my foreign policy, let other countries do what they will.

Oh, I forgot, you are one of those type folks that want to stick your nose in everyone's business.

Just like Bloomberg, nevermind.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Anything on the subject or are you just going to succumb to ad hominem attacks about anyone you feel slighted by?

Of course, had you actually read the article instead of just seeing Bloomberg and going into a rant about the person, you would realize that he believes that the new incumbents are illiterate as far as foreign policy goes. But you wouldn't know that because you failed to read the article, choosing instead to go on a hyper partisan rant on the subject.

Some folks do not care about the topic at hand on these forums and just want to rant on and on and on every opportunity that they get because of their bitter extremist political bias which blinds them from having an on-topic and rational discussion on any topic. Thats the way it is, ignore the trolls.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I fail to see Mr. Bloomburg's point, isn't this the United States of America or has it become the Loosely Affiliated States of North America Under China already? Congress, as a rule shouldn't be (regardless of how things have been done lately) jet-setting all over the world trying to be international ambassadors as well as making up half of the government. We have people hired to represent us to other countries.

Besides, everyone knows that China is the big orange dot on the globe and that's it's all bumpy cause of the great wall. I'm sure the entire country is orange too. Just like we're all green!

Did I lay it on thick enough ya think?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pplrnuts

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. I could give a rat's # what Bloomberg thinks about anything. He is a mayor of a darn city. We got one of those here, he does not attempt to forge international relationships.

Maybe you would like his email and phone number, because he has as much pull in my eyes as the POS Bloomberg. Sometimes I wish the rest of the US could rid ourselves of New York, Chicago, California and the other POS locations that think they know what is best for the rest of the world.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I am conflicted.

You are correct, we need to tread lightly with China, because we owe them an insane amount of money...and no, it's not the Feds problem, we are the ones that buy absolutely everything and anything made in China because it's cheaper.

That said, they don't play fair...they don't let thier currency float, they employ child labor, human rights etc. and all the while eating our lunch with emerging markets...we debate energy policy ad nauseum while China in a few short years became the worlds leader in alternative energy, solar panels etc.

I really want to tell China to go Ef themselves...but understand why we can't.

In the end I would like to see our government worry less about how to "handle" China and focus more on how to kick thier ass in the Global economy...that way maybe in ten years when we tell them to stop locking up dissedents, we can attach an "or else" to our statement.
edit on 11-11-2010 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Bloombergs critiques of congress are funny, coming from a guy who decided he was entitled to run for three terms! I am curious about why he needed to be in Hong Kong when he is the mayor of NYC. Kinda of goes against why he was elected. Bloomie is just po'd that so many little guys [and gals] got elected in the mid terms. Goes against his holier than thou views.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Bloomberg is an elitist pompous windbag that was never relevant and should be in prison. How an unstable douche bag like him ever got to be mayor of New York just goes to show who the real ignorant electorate is.

top topics

join