It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are all of the incompetent bastards in charge?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
So your great at your job, aren't you? Why are all of your bosses such dildo's? Why do all the fu$$ups rise to the top? Why do they get all the choice, easy gigs? Why are the idiot's leading the world? Why are we following the corrupt and incompetent? Well it's the Dunning-Kruger Effect my freinds, in full effect!

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which an unskilled person makes poor decisions and reaches erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to realize their mistakes.[1] The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to the situation in which less competent people rate their own ability higher than more competent people. It also explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence: because competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. "Thus, the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[2]

The Dunning–Kruger effect was put forward by Justin Kruger and David Dunning. Similar notions have been expressed – albeit less scientifically – for some time. Dunning and Kruger themselves quote Charles Darwin ("Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge")[3] and Bertrand Russell ("One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision."[4][5]). W.B. Yeats put it concisely thus: "The best lack all conviction, while the worst / Are full of passionate intensity." The Dunning–Kruger effect is not, however, concerned narrowly with high-order cognitive skills (much less their application in the political realm during a particular era, which is what Russell was talking about.[6]) Nor is it specifically limited to the observation that ignorance of a topic is conducive to overconfident assertions about it, which is what Darwin was saying.[7] Indeed, Dunning et al. cite a study saying that 94% of college professors rank their work as "above average" (relative to their peers), to underscore that the highly intelligent and informed are hardly exempt.[4] Rather, the effect is about paradoxical defects in perception of skill, in oneself and others, regardless of the particular skill and its intellectual demands, whether it is chess, playing golf[8] or driving a car.[4]"

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
this is very true

you see it in lie every day some power hungry little

hitler who will do any thing in his power to ruin your day

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by digby888
this is very true

you see it in lie every day some power hungry little

hitler who will do any thing in his power to ruin your day

And then tap himself on the back for it!

second
edit on 4-11-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I often think that the only requirement for being a boss is the disposition to tell others what to do.

Particularly when they have absolutely no idea how 'it' should be done

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

Interesting, never heard that before.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Probably because a bunch of incompetent bastards voted for them!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Right On MAN! And a great signature by the way. That is THE GREATEST SONG EVER WRITTEN!reply to post by digby888

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Wow! That would be a beautiful quote! Genius!reply to post by berenike

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
WTF? Dude, did you just read the title and respond? Read the whole article, please? I really think you'll dig it. It is SO friggin true! Thanks for responding! You are so cool!reply to post by VrilOrder

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Why are incompetent Bastards in charge? Easy, because the incompetent Bastards in charge now will only promote those more incompetent than they are to appear smarter. It's reverse evolution so to speak. The very first Bastard in charge was quite smart and, since he wanted to stay smart promoted stupider people than he. Although way back then, even the stupider people were smart just not as smart as those above them.

As for the incompetent Bastards in the Government, well, we voted for them so we could appear smarter than our own Government. That way, we'd have something to talk about when we were finished talking about sports.

Next question?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

Ah yes, The Incompetent Bastard In Charge or the" I.B.I.C." I think you've coined an new anachranym. This is so true! This World becomes more and more comical each and every day.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Wow, great thread. I see so much of that in my personal life, I didn't know that someone had actually done a study on it.
I think, when you get on a macro, level, as in governments, large corporations, they will feign ignorance in order to get away with things.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

Ah yes, The Peter Principle where each rises to the level of his/her own incompetence.The Peter Principle is the principle that "in a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to their level of incompetence".

'It was formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull in their 1969 book The Peter Principle, a humorous treatise which also introduced the "salutary science of hierarchiology", "inadvertently founded" by Peter. It holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently. Sooner or later they are promoted to a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain, being unable to earn further promotions. This principle can be modelled and has theoretical validity for simulations.[1] Peter's Corollary states that "in time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out their duties" and adds that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence". en.wikipedia.org...

I do not subscibe to the positon of the author of the Peter Principle regarding, "being unable to earn further promotions". These incompetent bastards continue onward and upward, mucking up the whole show. Soon, it'll be ass over tip, total write off. Cheers.
edit on 10-11-2010 by HUMBLEONE because: Cause I forgot to say Cheers damn it! Bollocks! I am feeling most anglophillic today, as apposed to anglophallic which would be a English willy.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

it does seem odd, but true.
i believe that those who have the most ability to lead, are not worthy to lead. and those who are most worthy to lead do not have the ability to lead.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Lawgiver

Quite. Unfortunately they haven't the ability either. As they say in Texas, "all hat and no cattle". I hate to lead, but frequently have to. I'd rather be cloistered in my chamber in quiet reflection, deeply meditative upon all things mystical. BUT NOOOO! I have to go out and earn paper chits. What a bloody world!

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I looked at the four losers that were in the last Presidental election and thought, "This is the best the US can do? Obama and McCain?"

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by signal2noise

Apparently so. It is most disheartening whilst one believes in the Matrix. I think that revelations like these are the hopeful signs of an awakening is happening.

new topics

top topics

join