It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just switched to Ubuntu, a few questions:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Hey guys. So I recently switched over to Ubuntu and am so far loving it. Thanks to all those that helped me out in that other thread.

On to my questions though:
I have quite a bit of music still sitting in Windows, if I copy them to a disc will they load up on Ubuntu?
Or...
Is there a way to access them while running Ubuntu?

Also, would it be smart to wipe Windows off permanently? I plan on purchasing a new computer in the next year or so, and only use this thing for interwebbing and the odd game or two. My main concern is it will wipe off my wireless driver, which is being accessed (I think) by Ubuntu.

So any help would be welcomed, thanks in advanced.

Supes

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
IIRC then Ubuntu needs an MP3 codec to be installed unless the newer versions have it pre-installed or I'm confusing it with something else. That is if your music is MP3 files.

Ubuntu has it's own drivers. Wiping off Windows won't affect it.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DGFenrir

Usually it will play mp3's with no problem, if it needs something it (most often) will let you know what it needs and offer to download/install it whenever you go to access the file.

You should be able to access all of your windows files from ubuntu, unless you encrypted your files in windows.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Sounds like you're dual booting? If so, you should have access to everything on the windows partition via 'buntu. Just open up nautilus, and you should see the other OS in the left hand column. Navigate to your music file, and put your cursor over the icon, the song should start playing.
As for wiping windows, personal choice. Although UNIX like systems do just about everything, there are still a couple of things that Windows does "better"(DirectX for one).
Since you're new to the Linux kernel, and chances are good you'll be doing a bit of distro-hopping before long, I'd hold on to the windows partition for a while until you've found your distro of choice, unless you really feel that you need the room on your hard drive.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
I have quite a bit of music still sitting in Windows, if I copy them to a disc will they load up on Ubuntu?
Or...
Is there a way to access them while running Ubuntu?

I take it you are using a LiveDVD of Ubuntu on a machine that has Windows installed on it? (Hence your question about loading 2 CD/DVDs at once).

You don't need to do that. Your more than likely running the new version of Ubuntu 10.10.10.

All you need to do is mount your hard drive so your LiveDVD can see it. Here is a link that holds step-by-step instructions on how to do so. Personally, if I were you I would have made a thread on the Ubuntu forums and not ATS, but heh looks like you got your answer here anyway.

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
Also, would it be smart to wipe Windows off permanently? I plan on purchasing a new computer in the next year or so, and only use this thing for interwebbing and the odd game or two. My main concern is it will wipe off my wireless driver, which is being accessed (I think) by Ubuntu.

Well, you can dual boot both Operating Systems if you wish to switch from Windows to Ubuntu. Using LiLo or Grub as boot loaders or just the plain windows boot selection screen you can select between the two.

Ubuntu like many Linux distros has really great driver packages within them for almost anything, including your wireless driver. Sounds like your very new to Linux, you might want to read the forums at various Linux websites to get an idea of what is ahead of you. You will have to type several commands to get your wireless card up and running. If I were you I would just stick to the LiveDVD until you get more knowledge of how CLI (Command Line Interface) works, so that way you don't break anything.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Ok I'm going to try and reply all at once here, so bear with me.

First off, yes, I am a totes noob to this Ubuntu thing, let alone Linux. I should have mentioned that in my OP

My computer has both Windows and Ubuntu loaded up on it. At startup, it asks me to choose which one I want to run. (I don't think this is the same as a "live cd", but would not be surprised if I am wrong)

I already have my wireless working through Ubuntu, but when I was setting it up, I had all sorts of trouble, but ended up going back to Windows, toggling my wireless on and off, then it worked.

And yea...I started to post on Ubuntu forums, but when I was reading through them, I got all kinds of lost. I can apply things I'm told, but kinda need things a bit "dumbed down". Not saying you guys are dumb or anything
just my experiences with those types of forums is that they just throw all this lingo at you and it goes over my head. If anything, I'd be the dummy in this situation.

So recap: Basically what I'm having trouble with now is finding Nautilus, if it is already on my computer that is.

Thanks again for the help. You guys are always good help.

Edit: figured out the nautilus problem....feel really dumb there. No sign of my Windows files.
edit on 11/2/2010 by iamsupermanv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   

They're there. Look in the file manager, left hand column. something akin to xx GB Drive. xx representing whatever amount you left over for your windows partition on your HD when you resized it on install. Should even have a little hard drive icon next to it.
some advice, learn the command line. Most forums you ask for help on will tell you how to address your problem with code in the terminal. Reason being, the terminal always works, and is much easier to tell someone to cd /media/OS than it is to say open this GUI, click on this icon, then click that.
And when someone does respond to your query for help by saying RTFM, this is TFManual to read RUTE well, one of them anyway.
Here's a lighter, but still quite useful version lowfatlinux
Here's a command line bible by Shotts LinuxCommand.org
by no means are they the only resources you should use, but those are 3 that will answer a lot of your questions
edit on 3-11-2010 by reticlevision because: too little coffee, too many typos

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE HELP!

I figured it out...finally found where my Files were, and they are in the process of transferring over right now.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Easy to do. Call up synaptic and install VLC player, it come with all codecs, but go ahead and get GStreamer Codecs, good, bad, and ugly. Transfer those files to your drive. Right click on one, and choose "Properties." Click on the little tool thingy, looks like a pair of pliers to me, and choose, "open to" to make the file open with VLC. Now click the file and enjoy!

top topics

join