It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sundog in Joburg sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Driving to work from the dentist this morning, I saw this halo around the sun. It's a strange hazy day ... first time I have ever seen this phemonenon:

A rare sight in the Johannesburg sky - a rainbow is wrapped around the sun, almost like a halo. This phenomenon is called a sundog.

Link

Sundogs, sometimes called Sun Dogs, Parhelia or Mock Suns, are with the 22º halo, the most frequent of the ice halos. They are most easily seen when the sun is low.

www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I didn't see it, but seems like the talk of the town today.

Also note that space weather featured a very "strong" sundog yesterday, from up north ...

www.spaceweather.com... ... i don't know how long it will stay front page though ...

This is strange though, because we're not anywhere near ice, or finland for that matter.

Also, i'm astounded at the number of JHB people that actually take note of the sky!!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

My ex-gf actually mailed me about it. When I told her it was a sundog, this was her reply:

Ah thank you … now I can finally silence all the freaks … you know how it goes “Aaarrgghh the world is coming to the end!!!”

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Have to say, that it was a beautifull sight! In my 41 years, this was my 1st sun halo!
What amazed me was that how many people did not even think to google it. Info is so easily available, they ask on fb what it can be, instead of just searching google. Lol I googled it the moment I finished taking pics!
Just glad I got to see it!

edit on 1-11-2010 by madleo because: Spelling.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

edit on 1-11-2010 by madleo because: Sorry double post AGAIN!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

edit on 1-11-2010 by madleo because: I'm on my cell and not so easy to work ATS!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Just asking, but isn't it called a sundog, if it's just above the horizon, when 3 suns are seen?
We had a full ring around the sun at 9/9:30. A sun halo!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Hey here's another one

spaceweather.com...
Nice they pop up everywhere

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrOrange82
Hey here's another one

spaceweather.com...
Nice they pop up everywhere
that was beautiful,although I'm not religious,if I had seen that in person I would be on my knees!

top topics

join