It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teaching devotion to Christ in Nebraska public high schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The Todd Becker Foundation

www.toddbecker.org...

is a non-profit charitable foundation which over the past 5 years has presented a program in over 175 Nebraska public high schools. There is a secular message, that students should make good choices in their lives. There is also a religious message, about how Christ might help with that.

As we travel around this state, our desire is that our efforts would result in this one thing: that young and old alike would turn their lives over, fully over, to Jesus Christ... Thank you for joining with us in reaching young people for Christ!

What the Foundation offers schools is an assembly with a follow-up meeting, described as follows:

The Todd Becker Foundation travels throughout Nebraska and puts on an assembly presentation to public high schools, grades 9-12. The assembly unfolds the tragic and life-changing choices that ultimately led to the death of Todd Becker, and includes live music, graphic images, videos and many other media elements.

Following the actual assembly, students who are impacted from hearing the story and message are given the opportunity to sit down with a Todd Becker Foundaton team member, one-on-one, and share their struggles or situation in life. Typically, those one-on-one conversations result in the Todd becker Foundation team member sharing with the student the gospel of Jesus Christ and pointing them to the new life found in Christ. Following these one-on-one conversations the student's information is obtained and they are introduced to a local individual, pastor or youth leader who can help follow up and encourage them in whatever situation they are dealing with.

In addition, there may be a second assembly, held after school:

When the Todd Becker Foundation visits a high school, they typically put on two separate events/assemblies. The first is the afternoon assembly for grades 9-12, which is held during the school hours. This assembly tells the tragic Todd Becker story and challenges students to take the narrow road, according to the scripture Matthew 7:13. The major focus of this message is choices and their consequences.

That same evening, students, parents, and the community are invited back to a second event where the band puts on a concert and an entirely different story and message is presented. This evening event focuses primarily on the story of how Todd's brother Keith, came to faith in Christ following his brother's death. Having said that, the evening event is where the Gospel of Jesus Christ is presented and the major focus is a salvation message.

Here is Matthew 7: 13, for reference convenience:

Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many.

I was unable to find details on whether the second, overtly religious, assembly is promoted to students during school hours.

There is also this further information about those "one-on-one" sessions:

It is important to note that these one-on-one conversations are simply by the student's own choice and thus, no student is forced or required to stay after the assembly to talk. Also, school is usually dismissed for the day following the assembly and therefore, these one-on-one conversations typically take place after school hours.

Information about the shows and meetings is from the "administrators'" section of the website, especially

administrators.toddbecker.org...

Now you know what I know. Are there any thoughts on the appropriateness of this mission? Any first-hand Nebraskan experience, or experience with similar organizations elsewhere?

I think of myself as "even handed" concerning the twin guarantees of the impossible but beautiful words of the First Amendment about religious liberty. I can scarcely believe that something like this happens in the modern United States. How does this apparent religious service on school time survive scrutiny by 175 school administrators, year after year?

If I wasn't such a sceptical person, I'd think the fix was in.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
They shouldn't be allowed to do this. Not at a school, definitely not. Imagine the uproar that would go on in Nebraska if atheists began doing something similar. I say play fair game, don't do this unless the setting is appropriate. Go out like other evangelists and give out pamphlets while kids are walking out of school or something. I received plently of christian pamphlets and a little bible this way.

Todd Becker's death would fit better in an anti-drinking & driving talk, not some religious brain washing crap.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I really don't see a problem with it as long as it is all voluntary. People often refer to the first amendment and separation of church and state however they focus on one aspect and forget the rest:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech...

What they are doing is free speech and government is not allowed to prohibit the free exercise of religion either this is the part people most overlook. So a voluntary assembly where folks want to talk about religion does not violate the First Amendment. I am not religious or a Christian I just think people blow this way out of proportion in trying to prevent any religious discussion on school or government grounds when the first clearly states they cannot prohibit it.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Yes, this is within the Constitution.
The military is allowed, and so should be Scientology for that matter.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

This isn't within the limits of the Constitution, it violates the establishment clause. It's allowing the establishment of religion, the children are a captive audience., so a state institution is enforcing religion.

Now, if it were an optional meeting that students could choose to miss and was part of a series of talks from members of every religious organization, it would be free speech. But are the children allowed to disrupt the assembly to debunk Christian claims? Nope.

This is ridiculous. Even if it wasn't illegal it would be immoral.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I would have to agree that this falls under the separation of church and state and therefore should NOT take place on school property, perhaps inviting the students to a Christian establishment to view such information would be far more acceptable, at least give an alternative.
I do agree that students in this case are a captive audience and it is contrary to the established laws thus far.
While it is certainly breaking a law, I do not necessarily see how it is immoral beyond the context of what can be associated with FORCING a religious view on someone by means of captive audience.
edit on 1-11-2010 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-11-2010 by snowen20 because: Because I cant seem to get my head out of my A$$

edit on 1-11-2010 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Effing missionaries, taking advantage of the fact kids are trapped there by the school system to brainwash them ito joining their sect.

How anyone could believe god could approve of brainwashing, or want people to join any religion which rubbishes other religions, is beyond me.

Does anyone else think MKultra (Om KULT Ra) - which never really closed down - is behind things like this, still experimenting on manipulating people?
They learned through a series of cults they organised, and then massacred, that religion is a far more efficient way of manipulating people than torture is.

They are still working out the easiest ways to enslave the human race.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

Public school infiltrated by a private religious institution.... Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I wonder how many atheists would be welcome to spread their message in private Christian schools in this same state? On school property and with school consent???

Did I mention, wrong, wrong, wrong?

~Heff

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Yeah, I would say that this is a bit out of line, though without going to their website, I'm not sure how prevalent or involved they really are. Promoting any faith, within the confines of the school day, at an "attendance required" assembly isn't right. But Nebraska's a little goofy, anyway, aren't they one of the hotbeds of the ID wars?

As I've said before, I'm probably more of a supporter of separation of Church and State than most, and I'm frequently surprised by what is viewed as "religious involvement" and what is not. When my daughter was in high school choir, for example, their concerts were usually dominated by religious music.

A couple of months ago, a guy from Campus Crusade for Christ (I'm pretty sure that's what he was with,) came around to talk about their work in the local high schools, where they act as volunteers in a variety of capacities (hall monitors and such.) He made it pretty clear that the reason that they were welcomed by the schools was that the schools desperately needed the help, and so long as they weren't doing any preaching during school hours, their presence was gratefully accepted.

So, at least around here, the schools seem to be needing something from the community and the CCC is the only ones willing to give up their time to do it. I suppose that the argument is made in Nebraska that preventing teen alcohol abuse is so critical that the "side message" is of less importance, at least until someone else steps up to the plate to present a secular only message.

Like I said, I don't think it's a good idea, but I'd side with anti alcohol message tinged with Christianity over no message at all, just like I side with the CCC helping out in the schools (as I must, since I helped fund them :-) over no one at all doing it.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Thanks to all who replied. A few of things that came up in the replies about which I have comments or questions:

AlexG141989

Imagine the uproar that would go on in Nebraska if atheists began doing something similar.

That's what got my attention about this. It seems to be such a blatant state promotion of a religious viewpoint.

hawkiye

What they are doing is free speech and government is not allowed to prohibit the free exercise of religion either this is the part people most overlook

Personally, I'm a libertarian, and so I favor free religious expression. If Keith Becker wants to put on a show about how his brother's death brought him to God, I have no problem with that.

It's the appearance of state approval of the religious message that bothers me about this activity.

adjensen

When my daughter was in high school choir, for example, their concerts were usually dominated by religious music.

But that's because if you want to learn about choral music, then you will encounter religious themes in the best works. Honest teaching about what happened in the history of music is not the promotion of religion or religious belief.

... so long as they weren't doing any preaching during school hours, their presence was gratefully accepted.

If they weren't preaching, then what was in it for them? It would be fantastic if the answer is "nothing," or they felt that helping out at a school was "preaching" by being an example. But why do I think there might be just a little something more than that? Tell me I'm wrong about that.

. . . And once again, thanks to everybody!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by eight bits

... so long as they weren't doing any preaching during school hours, their presence was gratefully accepted.

If they weren't preaching, then what was in it for them? It would be fantastic if the answer is "nothing," or they felt that helping out at a school was "preaching" by being an example. But why do I think there might be just a little something more than that? Tell me I'm wrong about that.

It's been a bit since he gave me the spiel, so I might be wrong, but if memory serves, they have outside of school stuff that they do, and figure that if the kids get to know them on a personal level, they'll be more inclined to check out the meetings. Beyond that, it's just seen as "helping out" by the CCC members who are, themselves, not too far removed from high school, and may have personal or educational reasons for wanting to be involved.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Well, thanks for the reply and additional info, adj.

I think it would be difficult for a person who is in the school for his or her own purposes to separate their agenda (such as attracting students to religious activity) from the school's. I seem to remember there was something about the difficulty of serving two masters...?

Anyway, apparently this subject matter is "off-topic" at ATS, so I guess this discussion is finished.

Thank you to all who participated.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

If I might get "in before the close", lol, I'll add this bit that I learned last night from a woman who is in my church study group and who is on the board of the organization.

It's "Youth For Christ", not "Campus Crusade for Christ", though the people involved as mentors are college age. They did tutoring, mentoring, hall monitoring and those sorts of activities, without making an issue of who they were, the same as other volunteers. As I said, they have group meetings outside of school hours, and these are promoted by the kids that are in them, not the mentors.

However, last month (October) a parent complained (about what, I don't know,) and the school decided that they'd have to get along without the services provided by YFC. So no more tutoring and such, though the meetings continue, as it is school policy (which might be a state or Federal policy) that any community group that wants to use the school, outside of school hours, is allowed to, regardless of their purpose.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   

If I might get "in before the close", ...

Well, I guess we are on topic for ATS after all
. My thanks to Byrd for help with that.

They did tutoring, mentoring, hall monitoring and those sorts of activities, without making an issue of who they were, the same as other volunteers. As I said, they have group meetings outside of school hours, and these are promoted by the kids that are in them, not the mentors.

I think that's just great.

However, last month (October) a parent complained (about what, I don't know,) and the school decided that they'd have to get along without the services provided by YFC.

There's the $64 question... what was the complaint, and was it justified?

The "forgotten religious right" is the prohibition of religious tests (VI, 3, "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States," which bound the states when the Fourteenth Amendment passed).

Yes, being a volunteer tutor in a public school is an "office of public trust." Yes, it would bother me if all YFC people were excluded solely because they belonged to a religious group. But you don't seem to know exactly why they were excluded.

What grabs me about the case in the OP is that the facts are relatively clear, and openly acknowledged by the promoters of the show. They are targeting not just high schools, but public high schools, and they are recruiting the students for Christ, in their own words, not simply "helping out" with the educational mission of the public schools.

So no more tutoring and such, though the meetings continue, as it is school policy (which might be a state or Federal policy) that any community group that wants to use the school, outside of school hours, is allowed to, regardless of their purpose.

Very likely, the school chooses to makes its facilities available for community groups outside of school hours. That's very common in the United States. Like every state-owned facility, however, access to the facility cannot depend on the content of what a group says about religion. That would be the federal contribution to the situation.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

I am so pleased that you are doing that - Jesus is there - because Jesus loves.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by eight bits
There's the $64 question... what was the complaint, and was it justified?

Not a clue, sorry, I didn't think to ask, because I just assumed that someone heard that YFC was working in the school, groused about it, and (at least around here) school officials are pretty anti-confrontational, so rather than arguing the point, it was just easier to ask them to leave.

It is, perhaps, the Scandinavian nature of the populace around here, but we were discussing evangelism in the study group that I lead, and everyone pretty much agreed that, although Methodists are technically "evangelical", the best method of showing the fruits of the Gospel is to be a good example, and, if someone asks, explain why you're "so darned happy all of the time". (Said tongue in cheek, both in the group and here :-)

What grabs me about the case in the OP is that the facts are relatively clear, and openly acknowledged by the promoters of the show. They are targeting not just high schools, but public high schools, and they are recruiting the students for Christ, in their own words, not simply "helping out" with the educational mission of the public schools.

Yes, clearly a more extreme example, and, once again, I'm with you -- the message is admirable, but having it during school hours, with required attendance, is, in my opinion, an unfortunate violation of the separation of Church and State. It would be surprising if it continues without legal challenge.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

It would be surprising if it continues without legal challenge.

There is some legal commotion in Nebraska. The state ACLU spoke out about the situation in September, both Becker and a somewhat similar speaking tour.

www.omaha.com...

But the Becker presentations go on anyway,

www.kearneyhub.com...

Maybe eventual confrontation is part of the plan?

new topics

top topics

join