It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Truth: The Story About The Poison You All Eat (DISTURBING VIDEO & INFO)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Ladies & Gentleman,

Following my recent thread about McDonalds hamburgers, I have decided to make a 'Food Truth' series where we can examine exactly what we are ingesting and what effect it is having on every aspect of our lives. If after a couple of these there are a few followers of the threads, I may take the time to incorporate all the key points posted into a sumamry thread that will serve as a case for and against each controversial topic, which we can then all refer back to do. They will be slightly provocative, if only to get people thinking about both sides of each case and post some solid information in their defence. Not that anyone is on trial, but hopefully justice will prevail!

This second edition is based on:

Bisphenol A (BPA)

What is it?

Wiki Source

Bisphenol A, commonly abbreviated as BPA, is an organic compound with two phenol functional groups used to make polycarbonate plastic and epoxy resins, along with other applications.

Organic? Sounds harmless enough....

Known to be estrogenic since the mid 1930s, concerns about the use of bisphenol A in consumer products were regularly reported in the news media in 2008 after several governments issued reports questioning its safety, thus prompting some retailers to remove products containing it from their shelves. A 2010 report from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) raised further concerns regarding exposure of fetuses, infants and young children. Effective 23 September 2010, Canada became the first country to declare BPA as a toxic substance.

Ok if you have never heard of this, alarm bells will be ringing. How is it that something being organic (which we are conditioned to believe is always good for us) be so bad for us? So bad that our totalarian governments decide to ban it? Well not all seem to agree...

Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor, which can mimic the body's own hormones and may lead to negative health effects. Early development appears to be the period of greatest sensitivity to its effects. Regulatory bodies have determined safety levels for humans, but those safety levels are currently being questioned or under review as a result of new scientific studies.
In 2009 The Endocrine Society released a scientific statement expressing concern over current human exposure to BPA.

Now you are going to be finding lots of information out about what these so called ill effects are, but for now I will only summarise them as there are a lot of sources to get down.

Obesity
Neurological issues
Disruption of the dopaminergic system
Thyroid function
Cancer
Breast cancer
Neuroblastoma
Prostate development and cancer
DNA methylation
Reproductive system and sexual behavior
Heart disease
Xenoestrogen

Just enough there to scare you into having a heart attack. Now, is this just fear mongering or are you actually exposed to these risks?

Bisphenol A is everywhere – is it safe?

New Scientist Source

Mounting evidence against a chemical we are exposed to daily is being ignored. What more do regulators need, ask David Melzer and Tamara Galloway

THREE letters lie at the heart of our modern world: BPA. Short for bisphenol A, a synthetic oestrogen, a staggering 3 billion kilograms of the stuff is produced annually, with an estimated value of $500,000 per hour to the global economy.

So straight away, it is bad for you but it is profitable?

That will be a prevalent statement in these threads, believe me.

BPA is used in the production of a hard and transparent form of polycarbonate plastic used to create food and drink containers and other consumer goods. It is also used in the epoxy resins that line metal food cans, and as an ingredient in dental sealants.

Dental sealants? Some more research to do there, but this will be brought up at a later date when discussing Mercury and Fluoride, something else to be worried about....

In fact, we are so consistently exposed to BPA that over 90 per cent of us excrete BPA metabolites in our urine at any given time. How exactly BPA enters the human body is not yet clear, although eating food kept in BPA-containing packaging, breathing household dust and handling plastics that contain BPA may all contribute to our daily exposure. Currently, BPA is not listed on food or drink labels so millions of people have no way of knowing their daily exposure.

So yes, studies have shown that the majority are effected, so this thread hopefully is not too much of a waste of your time.

David Melzer is professor of epidemiology and public health at Peninsula Medical School in Exeter, UK.

Tamara Galloway is professor of ecotoxicology at the University of Exeter

Welcome to the Bisphenol-A Website

SOURCE

It will be very interesting to see what this site tells us, I have not checked its validity yet so I cannot comment, once I return and start expanding on key points I will quote the highlights from it, but for now it is linked for your viewing.

Food Standards Agency

FSA WEBSITE

The FSA is the UKs regualtory body, simialar in nature to the FDA, of which I will posting similar information. Each countries laws on BPA are fifferent so I will urge you from other Nations to share your laws regarding this to determine which governments are for and against.

The link is for the BPA factsheet and includes the following questions and answers:

What do I need to know about bisphenol-A?

Bisphenol-A is one of a large number of substances that may have the potential to interact with our hormone systems.

These substances are referred to as 'endocrine disrupters'. Research is still going on to establish whether or not bisphenol-A has this effect in humans.

Ok, but that dosn't help every man, woman and child now does it?

Are there rules to protect consumers?

Yes. The European Framework Regulation (EC) No. 1935/2004 on Materials and Articles Intended to come into Contact with Foodstuffs lays down the general safety requirements for all materials and articles. These regulations require that materials and articles containing BPA, such as some can coatings, do not make food harmful. The regulations also make sure that they do not change the nature, substance or quality of the food.

The Plastic Materials and Articles in Contact with Food (England) Regulations 2009 permit the use of BPA in the manufacture of plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food, provided that no more than 0.6 mg/kg migrates into the food.

So there are regualtions in place that state that this is not harmful. But there are some prominent scientists that say it is. Does this come down to a monetry issue over a health issue? Or have each party got an agenda?

I have read about some people’s concerns about BPA in the press. Does the Agency share these concerns?

The Agency has met with representatives from Breast Cancer UK and the Cancer Prevention and Education Society to discuss their concerns around the use of BPA. The Agency's Head of Chemical Risk Assessment, Dr Diane Benford, described the Agency’s position on this matter and this is outlined in the document below. We will update this website following the publication of the European Food Safety Authority’s current review into BPA.

Here is the Link to this document, however again I have not reviewed it but I am sure there is some key information in there.

THE SCIENCE BEHIND THE POLICY

Finally here are some videos that summarise the problems facing us with BPA:

One of the most disturbing videos I have ever seen. It is extremely upsetting, and anyone who has clicked this thread needs to watch it in order to understand just how dire the situation is:

And for those who want to be angered that little bit more.....

That is all for this opening post, I hope that this is new information for some people and I hope it makes a difference. I will be posting more information on this and encourage you to do so also. One last point I would like to make before you starting checking your food and water products for 'proof'...

BY LAW, THE USE OF BPA IN PRODUCTS DOES NOT NEED TO BE PLACED ON THE PACKAGING

So why would they tell us about it? If you were trying to sell something would you but a list of nasty sounding chemicals on the side?

I have lost my appetite....
edit on 26-10-2010 by carlitomoore because: To fix second video link.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Chemical additives in food

These corporations are evil. I'm sure they'd stop using BPA if they found something cheaper to use. Whats the point of it lining cans anyway?

My grandfather recently died of Leukemia from exposure to Benzene at the General Motors plant he worked at more than 30 years ago. So all these chemicals might not get you now, but years down the road you might just end up with cancer.

edit on 10/26/2010 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Sickening. Yet another example of corporations putting profits before human lives.
I want to know, are there any 'safe' foods left? Which products are free of Bisphenol A?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ZodiakZero

As of now I cannot give you any definate answer to your question. As I udnerstand it, and I need to prove it myself is that the vast majority, if not all of plastic packaging will contain BPA. Sp unless you are eating fresh, unpackaged, unprocessed food you are more than likely at risk.

That includes mienral water bottles and regular soda bottles etc.

If you watch the video you can see how the problem is confoudned by the fact that we re-use these products and break the compounds down, leaking them into the food more, and when we heat things up in the microwave, the same is equally true.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

ConAgra, Heinz Are Tops In Banishing BPA

Source

A new report grades companies on getting BPA out of cans. Whole Foods scores a D+.

Our government may not have done much to ban or regulate the use of BPA in our food packaging, but some companies are taking the initiative to banish the toxic chemical. These companies aren't just the mom-and-pop home kitchen jam shops or smaller eco-friendly food companies. Biggies like Hain Celestial, ConAgra and H.J. Heinz all got A's for their leadership in getting BPA out of their packaging.

Who gave these ratings? A capital investment firm. So lets try and get this straight:

Governments allow the use of this chemical in our food (Insert reason why here, to dumb down, to make monbey off of medical insurance, to help there corporate partners etc.)

So companies then use it and poison almost our entire food supply (to make money).

Then a capital group give the corporations ratings in order to make money off of the brand name, and possibly pays the government off to prevent a knee-jerk ban and to prolong the profits being made.

(MAKE MONEY x MAKE MONEY OFF ORIGINAL THROUGH INVESTMENT) = BIG BIG MONEY (VALUE OF LIFE IGNORED IN ORDER TO MAXIMISE PROFIT MARGIN)

IN REALITY BIG BIG MONEY (FOR THE MINORITY) = BIG BIG HEALTH PROBLEMS & UNTOLD AMOUNT OF SADNESS (FOR THE MAJORITY).

Why does this happen? Why is this allowed to happen? This explains a lot of things in society today.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This seriously scared me. All this time..they've been poisoning me..you..

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I have been concerned with Bisphenol A since my daughter was born! With someone with a downs child and autistic child in the family, I wanted to eliminate anything that was suspect. BPA has been found to possibly damage the brain and prostate glands in developing fetuses. It was insane that a chemical with so many terrible side affects could be so freely distributed in almost anything plastic that we used. One study I read showed that 93% of people sampled were positive for the chemical. My conspiracy thinking was that this was allowed as population control, maybe a means of sterilization. The FDA is thinking of doing a study to reevaluate the safety of Bisphenol A. I'm sure the study will be done by someone in the plastic industry who will conveniently conclude that BPA is perfectly safe.

I was just reading an article about the unsafe chemicals people are coming in contact with. What's scary in this article and really show's how unsafe these chemicals are is summed up in the very first paragraph!

Of the 84,000 chemicals on the market today -- many of which are in objects that people come into contact with every day -- only about 1 percent of them have been studied for safety, Sen. Frank Lautenberg said Tuesday.

Link to Article

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Star and flag for a very well researched and well presented thread. I have been aware of the dangers of BPA leaching from plastic bottles but did not imagine that they actually line cans with the stuff. Its sickening how money(paper with imaginary value) takes precedence over the well being of the human race and our environment. If this stuff can contaminate water through mere contact and be concentrated enough to cause health problems in mice then I cant even imagine what it is doing to our environment where people routinely throw these containers and contaminated food stuffs into rivers, lakes, beaches, and landfills. So we are not only poisoning ourselves and our children by buying from these companies but also poisoning the land and animals which further compounds the problem.

I also found another study by the National Health Institute (NIH) which can confirm the info in these videos.

"The Chapel Hill consensus panel concluded that “human exposure to BPA is within the range that is predicted to be biologically active in over 95% of people sampled. The wide range of adverse effects of low doses of BPA in laboratory animals exposed both during development and in adulthood is a great cause for concern with regard to the potential for similar adverse effects in humans.” "

Source: www.cspinet.org...

The same site page also had an, although incomplete, answer to another question brought up in this thread about which companies definitively do not use BPA.

Eden Foods of Clinton, Michigan, uses a more expensive enamel lining made from the oil and resin extracted from plants instead of BPA to line their cans. Eden says that they believe they are the only company in the U.S. that uses this custom made BPA-free can.

No dental sealants are made with BPA, but the older versions of one brand are made with a compound that breaks down into BPA when it comes into contact with saliva, causing high but temporary elevations in blood levels of BPA. The brand is Delton from Dentsply International of York, Pennsylvania. According to a company representative, newer versions of Delton that have either the plus sign (+) or the word “plus” in their name do not contain the compound that breaks down into BPA.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
damn all my canned food.....

good thing i stockpiled other foods, and seeds. ive always been leery of plastics.

very good thread and i look forward to the next in your series.

my only suggestion would be to include a link to your last part in the OP

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

out goes the plastic bowls,I have rearranged everything I buy,it started with food additives my son was diagnosed with swollen optic nerves with no known cause and his neurologist told me to get rid of the food additives, at first I was clueless until I did some research and found that aspartame was directly linked to this condition.I never saw anything about bpa,so thank you for the heads up!I was raised on garden fresh and home canned products and my mother cooked everything for us we had no prepackaged anything in my house and it wasn't until I was away from home (maybe 10 years)that I was diagnosed with odd conditions I drank alot of diet soda and other fast foods so I know that these foods have a huge effect on the health of our bodies.....thanks again

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Here's a thread from last year in which a study was posted on the effects of BPA on sexual health...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The headline for the MSNBC aritcle read: Chemical in plastic bottles linked to impotence

In reality, workers exposed to extremely high amounts of BPA had a range of sexual health problems. The obvious problem is NOBODY gets BPA concentrations that high in from plastic bottles. So many studies on BPA exposure don't consider the actual amount of BPA that most people are exposed to throughout their daily lives, which is small.

What we do know is short term studies have shown BPA to be safe in small amounts. What we don't know is how exposure of trace amounts of BPA will affect health in the long term...cancer being the number one concern.

The best thing to do? Avoid it until conclusive, long-term evidence is provided and there is consensus among researchers as to the true affects of BPA on one's health.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
SOUNDS LIKE THE NWO , has bisphenal A in it's back pocket to get rid of you and make money at the same time. bisphenal A products replicates cancer, thus the medical buisness gets more sick people, thus they make more money on you getting sick and at the same time you die of cancer, then they sell you thier new fema coffin to bury you in. A NWO TACTIC, this is why we will not take out bisphenal A. NWO needs it for one way to depopulate the world. If you do not believe this then tell me why they will not take the drug out of the products?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I'm staying away from plastic products. I use to microwave my food in plastic containers all the time. I use to work at a plastic plant that used all kinds of plastics. I drank out of plastic cups, I ate out of these cans they talk about,my pills are in plastic containers, I stored my meat in plastic bags, JESUS ,SH# what isn't plastic. Our whole world is plastic. We are around plastic every day every single one of U.S. AND THEY PUT THIS STUFF IN PLASTICS. WE recycle plastics and this goes into other plastics. OH MY GOD. They are really trying to kill us.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Thanks for posting that. Not nearly enough people know about all of the poisons they are consuming on a daily basis.

There's much more.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Oh,, GEE,, GREAT,, I just had all my silver pulled out of my teeth and the dentist put in the white SEALANT that looks like my regular teeth. I'm going to die of cancer, i know my fate now.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
You know that, in science, the study of organic chemistry is the study of compounds which contain carbon atoms (except of course CO2 and CO). I think that's what they're implying when they refer to them as organic

I'm pretty sure that I've used this compound or a derivative when I've been in the labs in university

Just realised I've linked the same FSA web page as you, taken it off

edit on 27/10/2010 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Just been planning to go through the links I have provided and pick out some more relevant information, and found that one of the websites I linked is down:

Welcome to the Bisphenol-A Website

Official Website Took Offline?

Is this happening with anyone else? It was working yesterday

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Bisphenol-A now linked to male infertility

One of Many Sources Running This Article Today

Bisphenol-A (BPA), known as the "gender bending" chemical because of its connection to male impotence, has now been shown to decrease sperm mobility and quality. The findings are likely to increase pressure on governments around the world to follow Canada and ban the substance from our shelves.

BPA has already been banned in Canada and three US states.

Bottles and cans containing the chemical have been linked to breast cancer, heart disease, obesity, hyperactivity and other disorders.

Most manufacturers of baby bottles have stopped putting it in their products but older stock containing the chemical is still on sale.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) supports its removal and has stated concerns regarding the impact of the chemical on babies and young children.

It can affect disorders associated with metabolism, fertility and neural development.

Seems like this is getting more and more prevalent in the news lately. The next thing I want to share is some information regarding its history. If anyone else is willing to contribute some good information then please do so! I thought this would have got mroe attention seeing as though hardly no-one seems to know about it.

I did a quick poll at work today and no-one had a clue about its existance!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Found it! A wealth of information that covers BPAs entire history, and as suspected, its a shocker!

BPA From Invention to Phaseout

TIMELINE SOURCE

I am going to be using this as a major source of information as it has scores of links and the info is very well put together. Due to it being quite late here now, I am going to have to leave it till tomorrow and hope that soemone else has got involved in the discussion before then. This info is easy to find folks, its not hidden! Educate yourselves and spread the word!

Although FDA has yet to act to tighten safety standards, 2 Congressional investigations have been launched to shed light on industry influence of government science evaluations, and Wal-Mart and other retailers are pulling BPA-containing products off of store shelves. The major events that have transformed our understanding of this chemical, shown its potential role in human health problems, and revealed industry's inside fight to keep it on the market despite the health risks are described below.

1891: BPA is invented.

Chemists synthesize the chemical bisphenol A (BPA) in the laboratory.

1930’s: First evidence of BPA toxicity.

Scientists discover that BPA is an artificial estrogen (Dodds 1938). Its use as a pharmaceutical hormone is precluded by the invention of another synthetic chemical, DES, with even more potent estrogenic properties. (DES was later taken off the market when it was linked to reproductive cancers in girls born to mothers taking DES during pregnancy, in retrospect an early warning signal for the similar toxic properties confirmed for BPA many years later).

1940’s and 1950's: New use of BPA in plastic.

The chemical industry begins to use BPA to manufacture a hard plastic called polycarbonate, and to make epoxy resins used as linings for metal food cans and a variety of other products. Although BPA leaches out of plastic long after its manufacture, the material is used in consumer products with no requirement that companies prove it is safe. The 70 years that follow BPA's introduction in these industries see the explosion of BPA-based plastics to encompass products as wide-ranging as bicycle helmets, water coolers, and baby bottles.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join