It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1/3 of extinct animals suddenly "resurrected."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

1/3 of extinct animals suddenly "resurrected."

www.datelinezero.com

On the heels of news that scientists are working toward “resurrecting” Neanderthals through cloning; formerly extinct animals are mysteriously, and suddenly, “back from the dead.”

The Daily Mail is reporting a study has found that a third of all mammal species declared extinct in the past few centuries have turned up alive and well.
In other words, “oops, we just ‘found’ 67 different animal species that we thought were all dead.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au
www.australiangeographic.com.au
www.dailymail.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Cloning extinct species, good or bad?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I tend not to believe in coincidence. Some of these cloners are being pretty vocal about wanting to clone food supplies first (notably, cows and fish), and then clone Neanderthals next.

So in the midst of this, 1/3 of these endangered species are just "found"? Hmmm ...

Or are some cloners responsible for the resurrection of endangered species? The timing seems to be all-too-interesting.

In the "additional news links" I added links to the source articles used for extra reading, for those interested.

www.datelinezero.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I am inclined to go with a reasonable theory (among many) presented in your source:

Sometimes a species will vanish from humanity’s radar, so-to-speak, and conservationists will assume they are all gone. Australian Geographic recently gave some examples of how endangered species will sometimes “vanish” as they move to a newer, more suitable location where they adapt and thrive.

Very intriguing post. As far as the cloning of livestock and neanderthals...scary stuff. I'm not the type of person to tell a man or woman what they are allowed to, or not to do. On an entirely personal level, if you were to ask me "hey, we have the technology on hand, do you want to start cloning livestock and neanderthals?" I would have to say no thanks. There are too many implications and far too many conflicting religious and ethical viewpoints that I'm going to say that I know nothing. Inaction is preferable to action when the results are unknown.

There is that pioneering, scientific "side" of me that would love to see the cloning done. From the raw, uninhibited curiosity that is human nature have spawned beautiful and productive things. Science has taken things once considered taboo or unethical and made them beneficial for humanity on many levels.

Thanks for the post.
edit on 20-10-2010 by Use your brain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Use your brain

I agree. Look at all of the animals that are being discovered for the first time everyday. Its perfectly feasible that these "extinct" animals have simply fallen off the radar by moving to more secluded, less hunted grounds. The Earth is a pretty big place, and animals are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.
edit on 20-10-2010 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
They have cloned cows and are currently serving them up in meat cases across the country.

Michael Pollan appeared before the house in CA, begging them to label these meats as cloned, and was turned down by furious lobbying of the CAFO industry, with the health dept. stating such "labeling" would lead to "unnecessary" consumer "fears" of cloned meat.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

This is how evolution works... Species don't always disappear... They often move, adapt, and in the process become a new breed.

I'm not surprised.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
How do we know this hasn't been done already??? we dont.... I'm wondering if they would be just as smart as normal humans (not that smart) if they were brought up under the same conditions of today....

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Surely if these animals had been cloned they would do the same with all endangered species such as i.e., the mountain gorilla, panda or tiger. Haven't animals including ourselves adapted in the past?

Scientist have found over 200 new species in Papua New Guinea and 145 in Greater Mekong

Link

Link

We know so little about this world and who we share it with, we are often blinded by our sense of superiority.

new topics

top topics

join