It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. soldier in custody after death of Afghan prisoner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

U.S. soldier in custody after death of Afghan prisoner

www.reuters.com

A U.S. soldier has been taken into custody after an Afghan detainee was found dead in his cell in southern Afghanistan at the weekend, apparently from a gunshot wound, the U.S. military said on Tuesday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.smh.com.au
online.wsj.com
articles.latimes.com
www.rttnews.com

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Well, this story is disheartening. It will only anger the Afghans even further at the foreign build-up in their country, and will most likely send more people over to the Taliban. This murder comes after another scandal involving the US soldier who are now on trial for allegedly killing Afghans for sport. Now, the detainee is allegedly a high ranking Taliban leader and is probably responsible for killing NATO Forces in and around Kandahar.

Furthermore, I am fairly certain tensions are at an alltime high among forces on the ground, as the casualties continue to soar and the fighting gets fiercer by the day. With that being said, killing an unarmed man while in custody is a serious matter.

Acts like this one and others will only bolster the mistrust among the Afghan people for the international presence in their country. Plus, this type of conduct only strengthens militarism and the insurgency. We shall see what becomes of this, but it is not a good thing in winning the hearts and minds. In fact, it makes things even more difficult, and puts NATO Forces at risk as the Taliban gains new recruits in response to these lone istances of barbarity.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I don't think America can do anything more to increase the anger of Afghans, I mean common, they have tortured Afghans, bombed houses with innocent women and children, bombed villages with innocent women and children, installed a puppet regime, accepted corruption to support the puppet regime, increased the production of drugs and created a huge drug problem, not to mention have caused an insurgency due to all these actions..

Tell me how shooting one prisoner will anger Afghans anymore?

Not long ago they were killing Afghans or sport.

new topics

join