It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 500000 year old Spark plug ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I just found this short but fascinating documentary featuring Lenard Nimoy detailing ufos in Indian petroglyphs and even more surprising digging up a 500,000 year old spark plug.
;A

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

That was great, thx.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

An investigation carried out by Pierre Stromberg and Paul Heinrich, with the help of members of the Spark Plug Collectors of America, suggested that the artifact is a 1920s Champion spark plug. Chad Windham, President of the Spark Plug Collectors of America, identified the Coso Artifact as a 1920s-era Champion spark plug, which was widely used in the Ford Model T and Model A engines. Other spark plug collectors concurred with his assessment.

Source: ncse.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0ne10
en.wikipedia.org...

An investigation carried out by Pierre Stromberg and Paul Heinrich, with the help of members of the Spark Plug Collectors of America, suggested that the artifact is a 1920s Champion spark plug. Chad Windham, President of the Spark Plug Collectors of America, identified the Coso Artifact as a 1920s-era Champion spark plug, which was widely used in the Ford Model T and Model A engines. Other spark plug collectors concurred with his assessment.

Source: ncse.com...

It was in a rock, although it does resemble a hexagonal nut.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
What it is, is not as important as how it was found where it was....

Stromberg and Heinrich's report[1] indicates the spark plug became encased in a concretion composed of iron derived from the rusting spark plug. It is typical of iron and steel artifacts to rapidly form iron oxide concretions around them as they rust in the ground.[3]

While the above is great as an explanation, I'm not so sure it explains how it was found where it was, in seemingly older surroundings.

Another odd thing is that nobody seems to know where the artifact is today.

The common term for such objects is OOPART (Out of Place Artifact), so if you're looking for more of these, Google on this term for it, and you should find them. Sometimes, it's also called Out of Place Out of Time Artifacts as well.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Oh this one- This is a real classic. Funny enough, I was thinking of it just the other day.

Anyway: It has been claimed as "Debunked" by "Sceptics", although those debunkers never displayed any proof what so ever that gave support for their standpoint. They claimed it was a spark plug rom "our times" and also hinted that it would been planted intentionally, but- as above mentioned- had no actual proof of this.

Untill actual proof of it being a modern spark plug submerges, I will consider it in the same way as other artefacts of this type; As very probably being the real deal and the remains from some prehistoric Advanced Civilisation, that a big part of the Archeology society for som reason don't want people to have knowledge about.
edit on 19-10-2010 by Nightchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightchild

Actually, the opposite is true. Nobody provided proof when they claimed the object was 500000 years old. The person who dated it is a mystery and didn't even show any evidence of their claim.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0ne10

Actually, the opposite is true. Nobody provided proof when they claimed the object was 500000 years old. The person who dated it is a mystery and didn't even show any evidence of their claim.

Correction: The opposite MAY be true. No conclusive evidence of either standpoints have subemerged, and as such, none of the standpoints can neither be considered as conclusive.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Cool!

This is the first ive ever heard of this. It definately looks like something from our early engineering past. The fact that it was found where it was amazes me.

Great stuff

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

No, it is true. Nobody knows who did the initial dating. If you know, please tell us. Until then, it's a mystery.

ncse.com...

Very little is known about the initial physical inspections of the artifact. According to Maxey, a geologist she consulted who examined the fossil shells encrusting the specimen said that the nodule had taken at least 500 000 years to attain its present form. However, the identity of the first geologist is still a mystery, and his findings were never published.

If you know the identity, or can find a published paper on the dating, then you may be right. Until then, it's still a mystery, and the initial claims have never been proven.

The burden of proof lies on the people who claimed it was 500000 years old.

Also, there was conclusive evidence that it was a 1920's spark plug.
edit on 19-10-2010 by 0ne10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Another odd thing is that nobody seems to know where the artifact is today.

Not that odd... things that don't fit the 'norm' tend to get buried somewhere, like the Baghdad batteries. Jut look at that bit warehouse the Smithsonian has... kinda like in Indiana Jones

About 20 years or so ago I saw reports of a stainless steel cube found in a bed of coal, with an imprint of a leaf etched into it. It was supposedly in the British Museum but now I can't find a trace of it... I still kick myself for not having kept all those articles.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Don't forget this part:

Maxey referred to the material covering the artifact as "hardened clay" and noted that it had picked up a miscellaneous collection of pebbles, including a "nail and washer".

A nail and washer was found with it..

The Coso Artifact was indeed a remarkable device. It was a 1920s-era Champion spark plug that probably powered a Ford engine, possibly modified to serve mining operations in the Coso mountain range of California.

There was mining operations in the area. That could explain how it got there.

ncse.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

This is as close as i could get Zorgon.. www.discoverynews.us...

This is a cool thread..so whatever happened to this spark plug? anyone know???

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
if it's not a hoax then atlantis probably isn't made up afterall.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
There was a hammer found embedded in stone as well

The London Artifact was found near London, Texas in Kimball County. The site is part of a large geographical zone called the Edwards Plateau. It primarily consists of Cretaceous rock. In June of 1934, Max Hahn discovered a rock, sitting loose on a rock ledge beside a waterfall outside London, Texas. Noticing that this weathered rock had wood protruding from it, he and family members cracked it open with a hammer and chisel, exposing the hammerhead to the light of day for the first time since the stone formed around it. To verify that the hammer was made of metal, they cut into one of the beveled sides with a file. In the resulting nick, bright, shiny iron was exposed. The bright metal in the nick is still there, with no detectable corrosion. The metal hammerhead is approximately six inches (15.24cm) long with a nominal diameter of one inch. This seems somewhat small for a gross pounding instrument, suggesting that this tool was meant for fine work or soft metal.

www.creationevidence.org...

That link was from the 90's and is no longer valid so I will have to find another source

That is why I prefer books and magazines to the internet. STUFF VANISHES even if only because someone doesn't pay the bill anymore

I tried Wayback machine archives and though it shows the dates the file was there, even the archives does not have an actual copy

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I recall reading about that cube as well...though can't remember the details.

Edit: Here it is:
www.badarchaeology.net...

On this spark plug though, several experts concurred on the make and model of it, so the remaining issue is where it was found. On the one side, it's difficult to fathom how it could have gotten there any other way, but on the other side, we've only got limited evidence of the claim.

edit on 19-10-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
What it is, is not as important as how it was found where it was....

Stromberg and Heinrich's report[1] indicates the spark plug became encased in a concretion composed of iron derived from the rusting spark plug. It is typical of iron and steel artifacts to rapidly form iron oxide concretions around them as they rust in the ground.[3]

While the above is great as an explanation, I'm not so sure it explains how it was found where it was, in seemingly older surroundings.

This source is still available, the original report with pictures and x-ray

The Coso Artifact
Mystery from the Depths of Time
by Pierre Stromberg and Paul V. Heinrich
Copyright © 2000-2005
www.talkorigins.org...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks for that link

I also saw this there...

The ‘batteries’ were among objects looted from the Iraqi National Museum in Baghdad during the invasion by the USA and its allies in 2003. It is not known where they are now or if they even still exist. This page was last updated on 26 December 2009 Written by Keith Fitzpatrick-Matthews

How about that?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
it mostly likely came from an airplane crash back when they started delivering the mail by plane. it must have been so hot that the sand around it turned to glass around it, and the carbon probably came from plant or grasses fusing to it. thats why the carbon dating was so old.

i once knew an old guy from arkansas, that would knap arrowheads, then burn them with an entire large box of big chief wooden matches, then throw them into his hog pen for 6 months next to the feeder. he would pull one every now and then and sell them to the university for thousands of dollars. they would carbon date at 40,000 years old....lol

its really true and they never caught on.

those hillbillies are some smart asses

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
As much as I enjoy reading about OOPARTs and would be surprised if there haven't been advanced civilizations before us, I question the spark plug find. I question if prior civilizations and our current one would have followed the same paths so closely and developed identical technologies along the way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join