It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Declares Possible Extinction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

NAGOYA, Japan — The world cannot afford to allow nature's riches to disappear, the United Nations said Monday at the start of a major meeting to combat losses in animal and plant species that underpin livelihoods and economies.
The United Nations says the world is facing the worst extinction rate since the dinosaurs vanished 65 million years ago, a crisis that needs to be addressed by governments, businesses and communities.
The two-week meeting aims to prompt nations and businesses to take sweeping steps to protect and restore ecosystems such as forests, rivers, coral reefs and the oceans that are vital for an ever-growing human population.

source

Well, it wouldn't be surprising if we caused More species to be extinct, we're already responsible for numerous ones to be wiped out and history has shown that.

Will we continue our ways or will we change and no longer be selfish to this planet and the species that share it with us?

We remain to be a very destructive force to this planet and something needs to change.
edit on 18-10-2010 by SeventhSeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Dear Japan: Could you please send a memo stating your concerns to our friends at BP just in case they don't frequent ATS? Thanks.

P.S.: While you're at it, you might wanna shoot a copy to the big developers who are raping and pillaging the land, and the other corporate giants who have no qualms about dumping their toxic junk into the environment.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal

That is just ~!@#$!@# disturbing...

2nd

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
We are at least indirectly (closer to directly) responsible for the condition of our planet by the lifestyles we enjoy.

You could very well tie the economic condition of our world to an effort to get the damage under control.

But then,one must consider who some may be trying to save it for.

edit on 18-10-2010 by chiponbothshoulders because: other

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I think this will last as long as an Ice Cube in a Microwave once the Big Money Corps sink there fangs into it,There the ones doing the damage

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

We remain to be a very destructive force to this planet and something needs to change.
edit on 18-10-2010 by SeventhSeal because: (no reason given)

I agree my friend

2nd

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The sad thing is at this rate it won't change, we can slow it down but IMO we've probably gone past the point of no return. We need big change and unfortunately, that won't happen.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This planet will eliminate us long before we can destroy it.

The natural balancing effect is what we are interfering with.

Any species that upsets it will not survive.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiponbothshoulders

Not so sure about that...what exactly will stop us? Bio-terrorism in the most literal sense?

Will nature create a disease to kill us off, once we hit a certain point?

I dont think so. It would have started wiping us already. Maybe thats what the black plague was...maybe not.

To say that it will "work it's way out" or to say that "we have passed the point of fixing it" are both non-confrontational responses. What we need is quick aggressive change, that will not happen...repeat...WILL NOT happen until our lifestyles are altered. There cant be just a minor group out there, refusing the products of these large corporations. It has to be a group majority.

Take a stand for the things you believe in. If you think there is injustice, then change. Get people you know to change. Indifference is just as bad as donating money to the polluters, and whalers, and subsidized farms et. al.

Maybe that sounds idealist...or maybe Im such a realist, that it only comes off that way.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiponbothshoulders

Hahahaha.
You think Planet Earth
is going to let us get off that easy.
Just eliminate us that is. Far more likely
that we will cursed to live forever _and_ fix the problem.

David Grouchy

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Will we continue our ways or will we change and no longer be selfish to this planet and the species that share it with us?
If theres no money making involved, unfortunately yes.
those pictures are an international disgrace. it almost makes me ashamed to be human.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
As long there are limited regulations (or none at all) with oil drilling or other dangerous industries, events such as spills and sludge/wastes being dumped into oceans and lakes or rivers will continue.

Many claim we can't let the Gulf Oil Spill happen again but we are...this time it's in Nigeria. Oil has taken over and no one is doing anything to stop it.

Toxic Wastes are being dumped in Somalia as well...but we won't hear that anytime in the Mainstream Media.

Sadly, there are many events that damage species and this planet. Events we don't and won't hear about.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This year is the international year of Biodiversity, so its good that they are trying to bring attention to this. When 66% of Europeans (~88% of Americans
) don't even know what Biodiversity is you know you have a problem.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Want to know where all the calamities are coming from and will continue to come from? Visit this thread and learn the Truth: A Serious Warning to All

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

No way we can be earth friendly not enough profit in it. Isn't profit more important than anything? As long as the elite and the power brokers survive that's all that's important.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
reply to post by SeventhSeal

No way we can be earth friendly not enough profit in it. Isn't profit more important than anything? As long as the elite and the power brokers survive that's all that's important.

totaly agree with you on that one friend. i wouldnt even call them the elite these people are the dregs of society and need to be stopped. if i had my way id toss them to my dogs and even then my dogs would turn there arses to them

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Well, it wouldn't be surprising if we caused More species to be extinct, we're already responsible for numerous ones to be wiped out and history has shown that.

A rough estimation is that 99.9% if all species that ever lived, are now extinct.

It's hardly surprising that we'll see several disappear in our life-time.

We didn't get to the top of the evolutionary tree amidst fluffy bunnies and rainbows.

We'll utilise the planet as much as we can, for the benefit of ourselves and our species.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Double Post.
edit on 18-10-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Its going to come back and bite us though, when the greater-eco system fails, alot of humanities food sources go with it, along with all the little things that make our existence possible that we rarely even think about.

The humble Bee is an obvious example.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Being fairly new at this, my belief is that the mother earth will go right on without any help from humans. Nothing we do or don't do can change the natural evolution of any species including all these so called scientists that theoroize what will happen if we do this or that. Live now and in the time of being!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join