It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don’t Worry, Robots Now Guarding Nukes In Nevada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Saw this one on BotJunkie, check it out.

Don't Worry, Robots Now Guarding Nukes in Nevada

(picture)...
When you have a 1,360 square mile military facility that needs patrolling, robots are the way to go, or at least that’s the position starting to be adopted by the US Army. Why? Simple: using mobile robots instead of permanent infrastructure (like fixed cameras and motion detectors) saves $6 million in up-front costs plus an additional $1 million a year in maintenance.
...(video)...
The robots being used at the Hawthorne Army Depot (which stores tens of millions of cubic feet of low-level radioactive waste) are somewhat unsexily called MDARS (Mobile Detection Assessment Response Systems). They’re diesel powered, with a top speed of 20 mph, and they can stay on duty for 16 hours. Most of the time, MDARS do random fully autonomous patrols, using RFID tags to check the status of locks and gates. If they notice something out of the ordinary, a human can take over, using cameras, microphones, and speakers to interact with whatever needs interacting with. The bots are currently unarmed, so short of running someone over they can’t do much more than observe, although they are certainly capable of mounting remote controlled weapons.

Thoughts on this one, anybody? I've got one having to do with UFO's, however....
edit on 18-10-2010 by quantum_flux because: -

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Nice find. Well for now they are not equiped with weapons and if anything out of the ordinary is spotted a person takes over so these don't appear to be to dangerous for the moment. In the future I would imagine they would want a fully autonomous weapon, that does not really have any human interaction to function, to be placed as security.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
That sounds a great security, and an efficient move by the military towards saving money. Maybe someday ordinary citizens will have such effective means at their disposal too, to protect their property against totalitarian governments!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
If anyone can climb on that thing it will take you for a tour of the secret facilities.

That's why it needs a .50 cal.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I suppose that could go either way for being good or bad. But it would be easy to take out these robots in an attack easier than humans, but an EMP hasnt been designed yet, that we know of, to disable them. Cant say it would be good as in a human tries to go rogue and attacks the facility because the robot could be hacked or the controller might try to attack with the robots. Why arent these at the white house? or are they.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
What if an autonomous robot were to target and fire upon an alien craft? Those things supposedly "have more firepower than you can shake a stick at"....1984 Whiteman AFB Incident....perhaps that's why they're unarmed, or perhaps UFO's might disarm them if they were armed.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
so what you're saying is, EMP the base and we can have some free nukes?

Nothing beats a living, breathing human being to guard one of the most dangerous items ever created by human hands in my opinion.

Robots will kill us all I say, most likely indirectly through our own obesity from lack of activity.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

Yes basically, EMP is americas nightmare. I read a book called Empire and Hidden empire in which a emp the size of a rifle had been designed and used. Whereas humans arent physically affected by EMP's and would have a harder time to be killed because of the responsiveness and ability to get other humans on location either from on base or off base. If a full sized EMP went off then comms would be cut off so they would be on there own at the base, with a bunch of dead robots.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'm not really sure how EMP works, on integrated circuit chips or analogue circuits or whatnot.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by quantum_flux

The ways EMP's work, the ones we have, are basically some kind of nuclear warhead that is detonated like 100+ feet (cant remember how far to be exact.) Now the miniaturized ones if they existed im sure would shoot some kind of the electro magnetic pulse at certain objects. Somewhere on youtube there is a video talking about how EMP's work, if i can find it ill post it.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Unarmed.. Ya that's what they want you to think....

This is South Korean...

I can guarantee we have something similar if not the exact same model..

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
Unarmed.. Ya that's what they want you to think....

This is South Korean...

I can guarantee we have something similar if not the exact same model..

south korean? interesting.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantum_flux
I'm not really sure how EMP works, on integrated circuit chips or analogue circuits or whatnot.

I've no idea about that too.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Well, a running diesel engine - which powers those bots - should stay running through an EMP until fuel is gone. As far as IC goes, they can be grounded somehow. Or caged. As long as the pulse has an easier path to ground than through the circuit there is a good chance that circuit would survive.

I guess it all depends though on exactly how large an EMP is in the works.
edit on 5-11-2010 by stasis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join