It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better Late then never: 95-year-old NYC man gets medal for WWII rescue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
from news.yahoo.com...

NEW YORK – The U.S. government has recognized the World War II architect of a mission to rescue more than 500 U.S. bomber crew members shot down over Nazi-occupied Serbia.

It was the largest air rescue of Americans behind enemy lines in any war.

George Vujnovich (VOOY'-noh-veech) is credited with leading the so-called Halyard Mission in what was then Yugoslavia.

The 95-year-old New York City man was awarded the Bronze Star in a ceremony Sunday at Manhattan's St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Cathedral. He received a standing ovation from a crowd of several hundred.

He's long retired from his job as a salesman of aircraft parts.

Vujnovich says of the honor, "better now than never" — but he regrets most of the men on his wartime mission are no longer alive.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I just read this article myself on yahoo and thought how great it is for this man to finally be recognized for his duty. My hat is off to him.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
That is so awesome.

I have a friend who is 91 and is a D-Day Veteran. He was in the third wave.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

This is great! What I don't understand is why, aren't these acts of heroism recognized initially?

And I'm going to ask another question?

Why did I witness wonderful acts of bravery by other soldies and they got no recognition in Desert Storm?

Because there was limits upon how many different awards could be handed out. And everybody who was "anything"
in the military wanted to be decorated for a war, even if that person didn't even get placed in danger. And the higher ranking individuals got those awards. It helped these clowns look so much better! Meanwhile, some common soldier did something especiall heroic, was slighted,

I am not some disgruntled indivual who didn't receive an award. All I did was my job. No medal required here. I just did what I had to do. But otheres? Those that really earned great rewarsds never received the just rewards

new topics

top topics

join