It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible New Geoglyphs Spotted in Peru

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Possible Geoglyphs Spotted in Peru

A huge network of earthworks, or geoglyphs, is visible in satellite imagery of a large area around Titicaca Lake, a researcher claims.

An Italian researcher may have discovered a huge network of earthworks representing birds, snakes and other animals in Peru, according to a study published on the Cornell University physics website arXiv.

Amelia Carolina Sparavigna, assistant professor at the department of physics of Turin's Polytechnic University, used Google satellite maps and AstroFracTool, an astronomical image-processing program which she developed, to investigate over 463 square miles of land around Peru's Titicaca Lake.

Slide show images [here]

Hard to tell is they are indeed geoglyphs or, as the article further states, just signs of ancient agriculture. I can't help but think the ancient Andean would have taken better care to make the forms more distinguishable, but then this land has been farmed for centuries.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Thanks for posting the link. I dunno, maybe one or two look like something. I can't really see or recognize the rest as Geoglyphs.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
interesting... the geoglyph that they said looked like an armadillo looked more like a Chameleon than an armadillo. especially with the eye.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I was thinking it looked like some sort of animal with a lot of stripes. Like a, uh... zebra. Did they have zebras in Peru? Wait maybe I'm supposed to focus behind the picture...

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Thanks for posting... Lake Titicaca and it's environs is a fascinating place where one could spend a lifetime finding things of interest. Some researchers feel that areas around it, entire mountains and such, have been sculpted right down to the bedrock.

As for these glyphs, to my eye the "birds" at least do very much look like birds, especially the one taking a drink, most of the others are indeed a bit harder to see... but there are it seems intentional shapes of some sort or other. And as also noted, the area's been in continuous use.

Love the extreme ancient stuff... it is my belief that things simply must have been almost incomprehensibly cool back then.

Peace,

Pixel
edit on 10/14/2010 by PixelDuster because: reason? ha!

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I am sorry but I do not see any geoglypes here, I believe what you have here is a fantastic case of pareidolia in action!

(see here if you havent a clue what im on about)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Within the last year or so they have located an ancient temple at the bottom of lake Titicaca. Possibly related?

Article

ATS Thread
edit on 15-10-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Quite possibly, perhaps even probably!

It'd depend on the dates of both I'd assume, but as the glyph area is agriculturally inclined, that would certainly lead to a relationship, as, well, "ya gotta eat," right?

The dating of the glyphs would allow more direct comparisons. They said that that rather large temple (600' long!) was somewhere around 1,000 to 1,500 years old and under about 60 or 70 feet of water... hopefully back then it wasn't underwater, or that'd be even weirder!

I wonder how they'd go about dating the glyphs, but I'm sure they'll figure it out.

OT snippet: I have your other thread (and quite a few others) open since new, but unfortunately time is strange and distractions are rife here at HQ...

Peace,
Pixel
edit on 10/16/2010 by PixelDuster because: classi-fried

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakyclown
I am sorry but I do not see any geoglypes here, I believe what you have here is a fantastic case of pareidolia in action!

...as i said in another thread recently - you can take this egg-head stuff too far...

...just because pareidolia is common, it doesnt mean it applies in this case - yet... thats the key - YET... it hasnt been proven one way or the other - yet - has it?...

...caral was ignored for thousands of years because people simply did not realize what they were looking at - or - maybe they did and thought "hey, that looks kind of pyramidish - naw! - couldnt be!"...

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Interesting, thanks for posting.

When I look at that slide show, I can't help but think how similar types of images of Mars are ignored or scorned. I don't subscribe to any theory about ancient life on Mars, and I always thought the Mars face idea was ridiculous and a trick of the light/poor resolution - but it does seem like a case of double standards that we look at these pictures and see a flamingo head, but dismiss OOP formations off planet.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

That most likely is the case here, a researcher too anxious to make a discovery. At least take a shovel to the site before making a grand announcement? At the same time, don't dismiss the potential out-hand, satellite imagery has helped uncover a large number of previously unknown temples throughout the Amazon that were hidden beneath the forest growth. This might be a case of geoglyphs hiding beneath tilled earth.

...it does seem like a case of double standards that we look at these pictures and see a flamingo head, but dismiss OOP formations off planet.

True to a degree, but it's almost a certainty we haven't discovered all of the geoglyphs left by the ancient Andean, so one should expect discoveries like this one by Sparavigna. As far as Mars goes, why look for geoglpyhs or temples or what have you, when there's never been signs of intelligent life there? At least in Peru a geoglyph isn't unexpected.

top topics

join