It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why live inside of a box?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Why live inside of a box? Why place such defining labels on such ever changing things?

You label me an American, a Caucasian, a man, a student, an employee, a friend… You label me as happy, as sad, as good, as bad… You label me as rich, as poor, as successful, as unsuccessful… You categorize me with labels that you feel accurately describe me. But how can you absolutely know who I am, where I come from, and where I should be, if you are even unsure of who you are, where you come from and who you should be? And since you are not absolutely sure of these things, then why do you so recklessly and lazily throw me into these tiny boxes? Do you not realize how limiting and destructive these words are? Do you not understand how easily they can mold and define my own image of myself?

Wait… no need to answer because I actually do understand why you do these things. It is because you yourself have been placed in such tiny boxes, because you yourself have forcefully been conformed to such reckless and unforgiving labels. It is because you were born into and have grown up in such a society where this is the acceptable and reasonable thing to do. But is it not time for you to shed these labels and remove yourself from this box? Is it not about time you begin to truly search for the answers to: who and what you are, where you come from, and what you should be?

I am not talking religious explanations. I am not talking scientific explanations. I am not talking political or societal explanations. I am talking about removing yourself from these boxes so you can observe the grand picture of life.

Why live inside of a box? Why place such defining labels on such ever changing things?

edit on 14-10-2010 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Yes I agree wholeheartedly. The problem is society has been "dumbed" down into believing one group has rights over another, or another is more superior to another. I personally have tried very carefully to remove myself from the "box" so to speak, it is rather difficult having been born into a world in which the formula has been "discover why you are different" and rather than be humble and thankful for it, we would rather be proud and boastful of it. There is hope, its called intuition and common sense.

sorry for the rant, but it is that time of the night, so you know.....
edit on 10/14/2010 by The Endtime Warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

That is ok, this is a good place to do it.

But let us go deeper, have you found a way out of this box? If not, then should we not first gain a better understanding of what this box is? If it is as you said, society, then what are we defining society has?

Anybody...?

edit on 14-10-2010 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

The box is just a box, no more and no less. If you label society or others in box, then maybe you should step out of yours.

You are what your friends are, just a light in a box, but labeled differently with fingerprints, eye color, hair color, skin color, height, weight, DNA, conditions, diseases, profession, livelyhood, hobbies, opinions and etc.

We're all on a sphere and this box as you say, it's just an illusion to keep us seperated because in the end, we all end up in that same box.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Star and Flag

What a wonderful world we would live in if we all could shed our boxes. What an even greater world it would be if others didn't put us into boxes. We would all see each other as true equals!

(Speculation
These boxes were pre-planned for us long ago. And "they" continue to create even more boxes with modern day "political correctness." Why the boxes? Divide and Conquer!

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

well i think this is a good thought, and i agree with you

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Thanks. But who are "they"? Are they not you? Have "they" not also been placed in a 'box'? Was this box not created by 'mans' thoughts? And are "they", like you, not also 'man'? Let us go deeper, we still haven't defined what this box is. Some have said it is society, so what is society?

reply to post by ghostsoldier

My man...

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Wise words indeed.

Yes, we have been placed inside a box.

Some of us think it is a wooden box which we can't break.

Some of us think it is a metal box which we can't break.

But some of us know it is a cardboard box, which we can break out of any time.

We just have to do it.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
We fit ourselves into the boxes. The limits, the labels. Our curiosity at a young age makes us more susceptible, because we feel we are learning...but what did we learn? How to pass judgment. How to throw away our potential to do what we want to. We fool ourselves with the image of rebellion/freedom that has been defined for us, and become yet again trapped in the box within the ideas of a box. Our ideas are suppressed, and we let others do our thinking when we enter the boxes. The box? I cannot answer an undefinable definition.This is what i believe to be true. Great post OP

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I understand what you're saying and where you're going... but I am not yet enlightened enough to elaborate further.

Correct me if I am wrong according to your understanding. I am placed in a box by others. I place others into boxes. I and others are one.

(Personal Elaboration / Speculation) Society is a collection of individuals who have placed their group into a "society box." So if each collective of individuals create their own "society box" and also create other "society boxes" for other collectives of individuals... where does the box end? My line of thinking just crushed for me the concept that society is the box. So what is the box!?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Ahh, see now you are moving beyond.

Is society not the relationship between humans? Is it not the agreement between me and you, and all of "them", to coexist with each other in a productive and peaceful manner? To share the earths land which we build houses and grow food upon and share the roads which we travel on...in a harmonic manner? Without this relationship or agreement would we not resort to mere chaos?

So then we now know society is not 'the box' (although it may act as a box inside of 'the box'), therefore it is not the root of our problem. But we still haven't figured out what this 'original box' is. If we can figure out what the 'original box' is then this societal 'box' will no longer act as a 'box' at all. In fact it will return to its original definition, a codependent relationship.

So then let us figure out who created the 'box' we are currently labeling as society? Maybe that will lead us in the right direction...

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
We created the box... You created the box... I created the box... Us created the box... One created the box. But why did I create the box? I can't remember.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'll just call you...

Brother

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This best thing to do, in my opinion, is to forget that the labels and boxes placed on you, even exist. There is no "they" and "us" there is only "we"... but even furthermore, there is only "me". Everything in existence is energy. Inside of the atoms are quarks and inside of the quarks is frequencies/waves which is essentially energy. There is only "me" which is energy and everything is apart of that since only energy exists. There is only an illusion that I can be separate from all.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Right! So we have established that society is acting like a 'box'. And that this is only one amongst the many 'boxes' that we are trapped in. We have come to the conclusion that the creator of this societal 'box' is you, me, and all of us together. You are correct. More directly though, it is the human mind which has created them through thought.

So now let us try to figure out, why is the human mind creating these 'boxes' for us? What type of emotions and feelings do you think are present in the mind during the thought process of creating a society? (Angry, love, fear, greed, compassion, physical pain, mental comfort, happiness, jealousy, pride, optimism .......?)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Yes, I understand you.

So if energy is movement, which is ultimately what creates life, but also what creates chaos, then where is the middle? Is the middle dead center between the two? Or is it somewhere else? Can we move beyond these illusions of this false middle we are currently adhering to? Or is there no middle at all?

edit on 16-10-2010 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

(Brainstorm)
Hmmm....
Boxes are created to organize... to protect... to keep separate. We place others inside our box because of love. We create other boxes for others to separate... out of fear... out of hate... anger... jealousy... envy...

If love was ultimate and universal, there would only be one box, because we would want to associate with that which we love... protect that which we love... Love would bind all in unity. With universal Love, actually, there would be no box.

So why the boxes? It seems counterproductive to Love and Unity. Could the boxes be in place to purposely create separation? The boxes are a thought to separate that which is whole... separation is counter to Love and Unity... negativity is needed to separate, because Love binds... if you separate a whole, it is still a whole... it only seems separate due to perspective... perspective is relative... if this perspective experiences separation, but all is One with Love, then the separation isn't real. Separation is an illusion. Sounds so cliché, but it makes sense so far.

Everything is Unity with Love... One. The boxes are created by us, by the human mind, to enforce the illusion of separation. Why create the illusion of separation?

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

(Brainstorm)
Hmmm....
Boxes are created to organize... to protect... to keep separate. We place others inside our box because of love. We create other boxes for others to separate... out of fear... out of hate... anger... jealousy... envy...

If love was ultimate and universal, there would only be one box, because we would want to associate with that which we love... protect that which we love... Love would bind all in unity. With universal Love, actually, there would be no box.

So why the boxes? It seems counterproductive to Love and Unity. Could the boxes be in place to purposely create separation? The boxes are a thought to separate that which is whole... separation is counter to Love and Unity... negativity is needed to separate, because Love binds... if you separate a whole, it is still a whole... it only seems separate due to perspective... perspective is relative... if this perspective experiences separation, but all is One with Love, then the separation isn't real. Separation is an illusion. Sounds so cliché, but it makes sense so far.

Everything is Unity with Love... One. The boxes are created by us, by the human mind, to enforce the illusion of separation. Why create the illusion of separation?

Correct, probably almost every emotion and feeling known to mankind is present during the thought process of creating a society, simply because it is an ever changing and evolving thing.

You make some very good observations and ask some excellent questions.

Is it true our minds are creating these boxes TO enforce these illusions? Or are they being created BECAUSE of these illusions?
Which of the emotions we have listed are the 'bad' ones? Which are reinforcing these illusions? Could love also possibly be one of them?

We are making good progress...

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I agree.

Yet i tend to wonder if not labeling is even possible. We stereotype, and catagorize as a basic means of understanding the world around us, even if it is flawed and incorrect. No one has the time to sit down with every human being and figure out every minute detail about them.

As for placing ourselves in the box, how often do we do or not do an action because of what people may think of us. that is keeping ourselves in a box.

Great post. I am for the Utopian box free world btw.

... if this were a game show, and you won.... would you pick the vacation for two...? or... the mystery box...?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join