It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing Right or Left a test of the human soul?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I think the problem is people have a difficult time separating "equal result" with "equal opportunity",

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Punisher75

The equality talk comes into play with gays serving openly in the military or having the right to marry.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by spiritualzombie

welfare is such a great thing??????

an $800 dollar check per month and $200 bucks for food for the rest of their lives is a "great thing"

and how many people out there who just sit there not bothering to goto school and earn a degree....how many just pop out more children to stay on it..................

you dont like assumptions perhaps you just dont like the truth for every 1 who tries to get off it there are thousands who dont.

I thought Spiritualzombie said, that their mom went to school and got off welfare
you assume too much

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Reply to post by spiritualzombie

The only reason you'd hear a super-righty libertarian argue against gay marriage is because no governing authority has any business recognizing marriage one way or the other.

I recently attended a same sex marriage and was trying to explain this to several people. For whatever reason sharing their love with their friends and family and their god isnt enough. They need government to say "I Approve."

Thanks to these fools fighting the wrong fight we have further justified the chains we all wear. Instead of saying "this isnt any of your damn business, get the hell out of my persona life" they all cried "oh, please master, approve of me and the ones I love, give our life meaning with your blessed approval."

I guess that's equality. Equally subservient.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

I think most Americans are really somewhere in the middle, we're a nation of centrists with a very vocal fringe on either side. The ones pushed to extremes are the ones who enjoy being spoon fed by talking heads on the news and basically adopt whatever political platform is espoused by their favored party or politician. That's the real danger I perceive in the party system, it tends to encourage intellectual laziness. Rather than make up their own minds people are more inclined to hop on the party platform bandwagon.

The only real test that politics puts on the soul is this: If you're active in politics there's a good chance you have no soul...

edit on 14-10-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-10-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: I'm bad at grammar

So, when it comes time to vote, and you only have a few choices on the table... and all you have to go on are the values that each candidate has expressed, which one do you go with?

To say you don't vote is not any better.

If I hear a guy sing a song about bombing Iran, and insisting that the economy is strong, and gays should not be serving openly, and that we need to keep fighting the terrorists, and if it means invading countries on false intel... well, it's still probably justified...

And then I hear a guy say, no these wars and foreign policies are destroying our global image, that we need to hold discussions to work out our difference, that we need to focus on the environment, that gays should have all the same rights as anyone else and not need to hide themselves while dying for their country, and everyone should be able to have healthcare and never be denied coverage because of an existing condition....

I think there is a choice that touches on a person's soul and what they believe to be good and right.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Hey, I think that's a great point... I feel that way about gays in the military... instead of fighting for their country... I think they should collectively say war is wrong, it's de-evolved humanity, and we as gays will never support it and never fight in them, whether we are allowed to or not.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

That begs the question: if somebody believes "war is wrong" why did they join the army?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

heard-earned money goes to help people on welfare or healthcare, but sees no problem with those tax dollars going to help kill people in other countries.

I stopped reading right there, because you are generalizing and assuming all people on the right, whatever that is, are war mongers.

I don't think there is really that much difference in regards to the average citizens point of view, it's a myth.

link   
reply to post by Janky Red

yeah his mom did but there are thousands that dont remember just how many people are on welfare in this country today?

millions 41.3 million and that number grows everyday................thats 1 out of every 8 americans

link   
I think a right winger could have an argument with the OP. The logic behind the "taking" from people is that by doing so, you can trickle down some wealth to them in the future. You are killing them for their own good. They see it as a long range sort of soul testing.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

The only reason you'd hear a super-righty libertarian argue against gay marriage is because no governing authority has any business recognizing marriage one way or the other.

I recently attended a same sex marriage and was trying to explain this to several people. For whatever reason sharing their love with their friends and family and their god isnt enough. They need government to say "I Approve."

Thanks to these fools fighting the wrong fight we have further justified the chains we all wear. Instead of saying "this isnt any of your damn business, get the hell out of my persona life" they all cried "oh, please master, approve of me and the ones I love, give our life meaning with your blessed approval."

I guess that's equality. Equally subservient.

I thank you, you summarized my point exactly before I had a chance to respond. Me thinks you understand libertarian philosophy perfectly. LOL

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

heard-earned money goes to help people on welfare or healthcare, but sees no problem with those tax dollars going to help kill people in other countries.

I stopped reading right there, because you are generalizing and assuming all people on the right, whatever that is, are war mongers.

I don't think there is really that much difference in regards to the average citizens point of view, it's a myth.

I hope you're right... because that could mean that FOX News isn't as effective as they try to be which would be a good thing... but I don't know... every time I actually sit down and talk to someone who traditionally votes Republican, I notice some general qualities about them...

They really care about their money... They will defend invasions, and war and torture, by talking about the tax benefits under said president.... And they tend to have this tough-love attitude, or a coldness toward people in need... like they got where they are through sheer hard work and have no respect for people who are in need, and tend to make assumptions about those people... A general cynical attitude... it's much more rare that I meet a person from the so-called Right that actually has a balanced way of thinking...

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
I think a right winger could have an argument with the OP. The logic behind the "taking" from people is that by doing so, you can trickle down some wealth to them in the future. You are killing them for their own good. They see it as a long range sort of soul testing.

Hey, I want to understand this more.... so are you saying you think an argument could be that one reason to side with large corporations over the 'little' people is because trickle down is a better more ethical way of distributing wealth? or maybe I'm not reading it right...

It just seems to me that giving more money to uber greedy people who are in the top 1% so they can dictate how that money will trickle down is really putting your faith in the wrong people.... no?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Well I might propose something here...the greedy one percent will want people to make money because by making money they will have the funds to continue to buy the products they are selling thus making them richer. Keeping the little man down is counter productive because then they lose money. In short, it behooves the wealthy to grow to hire more people cause then they have more people who can afford their products.
Remember wealth is not a "zero sum game" Wealth can be created by making the value of the dollar worth more, One way this is done is with a lower minimum wage, cause then every individual dollar has more objective value. This forces prices down if companies want to stay in business. So if the rich want to continue to be rich they must (thanks to supply and demand) lower prices to compensate with the higher value of less floating fiat currency.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Punisher75

Well I might propose something here...the greedy one percent will want people to make money because by making money they will have the funds to continue to buy the products they are selling thus making them richer. Keeping the little man down is counter productive because then they lose money. In short, it behooves the wealthy to grow to hire more people cause then they have more people who can afford their products.
Remember wealth is not a "zero sum game" Wealth can be created by making the value of the dollar worth more, One way this is done is with a lower minimum wage, cause then every individual dollar has more objective value. This forces prices down if companies want to stay in business. So if the rich want to continue to be rich they must (thanks to supply and demand) lower prices to compensate with the higher value of less floating fiat currency.

You don't think they can afford to hire more people or afford to pay people higher wages? Dude, they're hanging on to every dollar they can. You're basically handing money over to people who are in the top 1% because they like to hang onto money a lot more than they like to trickle it down.

That whole trickle down theory... it's so sad... it's like a well-dressed suit walks into the room and explains to the poor people of the world why it's better that their rich boss get the handout and why they need to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and work harder. "We're all hurting here," he says, "and by we I mean all of you..."

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Punisher75
Remember wealth is not a "zero sum game"

I gave you a star for that alone. That is a truth that so many people need to get into their heads.

Wealth does not come from the government. Wealth comes from the people, and is produced. People need to take into account the effect that the policies they propose have on wealth creation, because at the end of the day that affects us all.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
So... as far as some enlightened evolved views...

Just wondering...

If the Left generally speaking is opposed to war, in favor of peace, in favor of equality for gays, opposed to racial profiling, tend to support helping people who are struggling in terms of healthcare or welfare, showing signs of empathy, being pro-environment... I mean... on the surface these look like pretty good, less selfish, less ego-based qualities to have...

I'm trying to understand what views the Right have that are on par with these, that don't require weird twisted logic, or involve supporting corporations over human beings, or peace over war?

I'm ready to concede the point, I just haven't seen anything to indicate the Right, including the voices of Rush, FOX News, all those Right-wingers on the FOX payroll, etc... are pushing for anything that would be considered really good enlightened points of view from a good soulful center.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I did read up until 'torture'.

If you think being put in a hot or cold room, having loud music being played when you are trying to sleep, or having water poured on your face is 'torture', then you need to shut the # up and stop posting.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner

I did read up until 'torture'.

If you think being put in a hot or cold room, having loud music being played when you are trying to sleep, or having water poured on your face is 'torture', then you need to shut the # up and stop posting.

I think when the torture that is used is known to illicit false confessions, and the statements obtained from those false confessions are used as evidence to support an invasion... it's something to be concerned with...

But seriously... "shut the f up"??? Stop posting??? Is there a Right wing response that can answer the question without lowering themselves to a base level insult?

Your post only supports my point about people on the Right.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Generally speaking, enlightened people do not go about bashing other's beliefs and maligning the soul status of those with whom they disagree. An enlightened person would perhaps recognize that those on the left are not more spiritually fit, just differently polarized. I would submit that the left's support of abortion amounts to the support of murder in the eyes of many.
Just a thought.

<< 1    3 >>

join