It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medicines and Remedies Post SHTF

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Hello fellow planners, preppers, and survivalists.

I noticed there were a few good bits of information regarding medicine and remedies where modern supplies and suppliers are not available. But I also noticed its very hard to find amongst so many informative threads in this forum.

I'd like us all to build this thread into a one stop shop of sorts for survival medicine and storage, herbal remedies and their preparations, uses and doses, and last resort field medicine and first aid.

I've gathered a beginning set of links to websites, blogs, pdf's and "for purchase" books. I'd like all of you to submit your information and priceless finds as well.

The links below are for informational purposes. It is your responsibility to read and understand the use of and risks associated with "home remedies".

Web Links

The Natural Remedies Encyclopedia

Traditional American Indian Healing

Guide to Herbal Remedies

Herbal Medicine

Herbal Home Remedies

Alphabetical List of Medicinal Herbs

Survival Blog: First Aid/Medical Archives

Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics => Field Medicine and First Aid

PDF - Download and Print

Natural Remedies for Common Health Conditions

Books for Purchase:

American Indian Medicine

The complete idiot's guide to herbal remedies

The People's Pharmacy Guide to Home and Herbal Remedies

This is my starter list. I know this wonderful group can flesh it out and make it an extremely valuable resource.

edit on 14/10/2010 by SeenMyShare because: grammer and spelling

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This is a PDF but wow, what a resource!
Backcountry 911: 1,001 Uses for Duct Tape and Safety Pins

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Doc Blue's Emergency Medical Kit

I agree with this guy. Commercial first aid kits are junk for the most part.

One of the things that has always driven me crazy about the commercial first aid kits that you find in drugstores and pilot supply catalogs is that they're filled with crap that is totally useless ... and sometimes even harmful. ............

With these concepts in mind, I have developed a first aid kit for my own use which cuts out all the B.S. and contains a host of useful items, most of which can be used for a multitude of purposes. It's not the cheapest kit (we'll talk about cost later), but it includes stuff one is most likely to actually need, and I've tried to include the best and most useful items available, packaged in a fashion that makes the kit truly useful.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Thanks for all the resources. The medical kit guy is right on. Most 1st aid kits are toys. I work in the medical field in emergency/intensive care also. My kit is very similar to his. I just include some stuff that the layman wouldn't be able to procure. I'm sure he does too.
I have 3 or 4 really cool skin staple guns, and derma-bond(medical grade superglue). I know guys who carry regular sutures because of smaller size, and it doesn't look as intimidating as the stapler. In reality the stapler is WAY faster, and doesn't hurt nearly as much. It just sounds like it hurts because it makes a loud click. People think it will hurt a lot, but it doesn't. I also have some individual staples with their own little single use sticker-inner-thingy(hard to explain) for small jobs that would just need a stitch or two, and you wouldn't want to dirty a sterile stapler with 20 staples to use 1 or 2.

I also build my own automotive travel tool kits because the retail ones are as useless as the 1st aid kits. I generally spend about the same amount of money, and get a way better kit, but it is a little bit bulkier. However it will actually fix the car, and not break, and leave you frustrated, and with a car with stripped fasteners. The most important things to have in your tool kit besides hand tools(duh) is mechanic's wire(bailing wire), and DUCT TAPE!!! It's also good to have extra fluids, like anti-freeze, oil, brake fluid, and transmission fluid(powersteering fluid is the same thing). I do a lot of off-roading, and I have done fairly major repairs at the bottom of a gully many times. I even have a welder made from 2 extra car batteries, and it works great... for a little while.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I have almost made this thread a few times.
I think the most important herbs off hand that should be included are Garlic,Ginger,Turmeric,Cayenne,Salt... off hand. very versatile and useful.
As for Essential oils Lavender,Clove,Peppermint,Tea Tree , and Oil of Oregano..

Manuka honey for anti viral and antibiotic use. External and internal.
Raw Apple Cider vinegar.. Tons of applications and uses.
Hydrogen Peroxide.
Small bottle of Vodka or Grain Alcohol such as Everclear.
Multivitamins
Lots of Vitamin C, magnesium,calcium,zinc...
Maybe a few homeopathic remedies.
Tiger Balm.
I have a bunch of stuff like this already but i need to get more and keep in a duffelbag with my first aid kit and other first aid supplies.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I now want his first aid kit.. Amazing. Good post OP..

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
This isn't a natural cure per say, however it is a miraculous substance many people are unaware of. If your post SHTF and on your feet a lot, and get wet feet, you will be much more prone to your feet cracking. It is extremely painful, and there's not much you can do about it short of This...

BAG BALM

This stuff will heal cracked lips, hands, feet etc. overnight guaranteed. Forget the Gold Bond, and anything else that claims to heal cracked skin. Just go buy a can of Bag Balm, and enjoy.

You can even pack your wheel bearings with it in a pinch!

edit on 1-11-2010 by meteoritics because: forgot link

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Colloidal Silver would be useful to have as well. Bag balm is good stuff I hear..

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Oil of Clove for toothache is essential. Comes in tiny bottles but you only need to use a very small drop to stop an aching tooth.
"Back to Eden" written by Jethro Kloss - amazing book

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by meteoritics

We use something similar called Laniseptic. It about the consistency of axel grease. It's used as a barrier cream. It's just whipped lanolin, and water, that's it. It works awesome too. It will heal superficial stuff up in a hurry by keeping it clean, and preventing further injury. Most skin lotions are a joke too. if it doesn't have that "greasy" feel it doesn't work. The greasy feel is what is doing the job. We have to wash our hands about 100-200 times a shift, and hands break down quick. Good barrier cream is a life saver. We even slop the stuff on thick then put gloves on so we soak more of it up. I think it should have a place in a B.O.B. too.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Sounds like the same stuff, but probably costs more. good to know about it, as Bag Balm can be hard to find in some areas...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Bag Balm is the S**t. I've used it on tattoos and it healed in half the time as the ointments that're usually recommended, It's good for all kinds of things and one of the larger size cans will last for years. I've used it on tattoos,chafing, diaper rashes for the kids etc. and in place of neosporin and it always seems to act twice as fast as everything else.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Bag balm is all that AND the bag of chips!! We use it here on the horses, poultry, people, dogs, cats, squeaky door hinges, cuts, scrapes, abrasions, rashes, hot spots, etc. etc. etc. This stuff is like the duct tape of lotions

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

I use my automotive tools everyday (auto mechanic - female - and darn good at what it do if I can take a moment to brag
). I keep them organized so I can pack up the best of the best in a hurry. I keep my carpenter's manual tools handy and their duffel with them as well. I plan not to have to bug out but if I do I will carry the critical gear and the Danes will carry/pull the useful gear.

Back on topic: peppermint oil and peppermint tea (pick the leaves and steep in hot water) is good for treating cramps, pain, spasms and IBD.

Health benefits of peppermint oil

The health benefits of peppermint oil include its ability to treat indigestion, respiratory problems, headache, nausea, fever, stomach and bowel spasms and pain. Due to the presence of menthol, menthone and menthyl esters, peppermint and peppermint oil find wide applications in manufacture of soap, shampoo, cigarette, toothpaste, chewing gum, tea and ice cream.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

This stuff was the only thing that got me through an abscess until I could see the dentist! Even whiskey did not dull the pain but oil of cloves was the miracle find! Thanks for reminding me.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
reply to post by Binder

I use my automotive tools everyday (auto mechanic - female - and darn good at what it do if I can take a moment to brag
).

Too cool I was a diesel field mechanic before I went medical. My wife used to complain about me always buying tools until she was helping me one day, and I needed a special spanner for the jeep/chrysler style hub nut. I let her fart with it for an hour then went, and bought the spanner, and had it off in 30 seconds. She never complains about me buying tools now.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

In mechanical work its simply a matter of "you need what you need". Often the right tool will save you literally hours. Having small hands helps though. I've been able to take shortcuts on part removal that a man has to take half the engine apart to get to

Having to work on a vehicle post SHTF will be tough because unless you're able to stay at your primary location you won't be able to take every wrench, socket, ratchet, and specialty tools with you. Forget impact tools. It's all elbow grease and a cheater bar if you're lucky.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Dont forget about a natural pain killer like weed, great when you got nothing else.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing

Aspirin is made from the bark of willow trees.

Check out this resource in multiple languages. It'd take a while to glean (and save) all of this information but it really looks like its worth it.

Liber Herbarum II

Den ukomplette reference-guide til lægeplanter og plantemedicin The incomplete reference-guide to Herbal medicine Der unvollständige Referenz-Guide für Arzneipflanzen und Heilkräuter Hið ófullkomna uppsláttarrit um lækningajurtir A guia incompleta das plantas medicinais

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Thank you for that. Even if you are not preparing for Doomsday, this is a valuable tool to have. I hate taking prescribed medication and will choose the herbal remedy any day. I spend a lot of time in the wild and this skill is one of the most valuable you can take with you.

Star and Flag.

Thanks again.

edit on 8/11/2010 by TheLoneArcher because: Spelling 1 out of 10 see me!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join