It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i dont understand how a book written 400 years after the events took place can be taken seriously

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by squiz

Part of the issue is that Christians in this early era viewed Christ's return as immanent. There wasn't much of a need to write things down because the end wasn't far off (we tend to view things in terms of our "ubiquitous pen and paper" environment -- in the first century, writing something down wasn't very common.)

Thusly, oral tradition was something that was standard, and, importantly, wasn't considered in the same sense that we do. We cast about the "telephone game", but in a society which can't rely on the written word, the oral tradition is a much different thing, and can be considered a bit more accurate than our current expectations.

History, it is said, is written by the victors, but once it is written, barring time machines, it is what it is. To claim that the beliefs of those in the 3rd century somehow impact the beliefs and writings of those in the 1st century requires a leap in faith that is unsustainable (barring time machine technology in the 3rd century.)

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Without making a 200 page reply, i'll simply post a verse from Proverbs:

"Who has ascended into heaven, and then descended?
Who has gathered up the winds in his fists?
Who has bound up the waters in his cloak?
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and what is his son’s name? – if you know!

Every word of God is purified;
he is like a shield for those who take refuge in him."

Proverbs 30:4-5

Christians do not believe there are 3 different Gods. But that God's divine nature is comprised of 3 "persons" who are one.

Anyone who believes their soul and spirit move along to heaven or hell when their body dies also believes they are "three" persons in one. A body, a spirit, and a soul, but "one" person.

"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of ME."

Jesus Christ

edit on 17-10-2010 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Well, good question. But then again, why does one take anything serious? Is it because of social acceptance? Is it because the rich people do it? Is it a form of forced thanking?

The book itsself is proof of writing skills. It doesn't give proof for the existance of god. The proof for god is faith. And not some blind faith in a book. The proof for god can never come from the mouths of child abusing christians or wife beating muslims, regardless of their social position. The proof for god can never come from the fingers and writing of genocidal leaders or propaganda ministers.

However bad your sin is, looking up for god or aliens to come and save you is an outdated thought.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
Well, good question. But then again, why does one take anything serious? Is it because of social acceptance? Is it because the rich people do it? Is it a form of forced thanking?

The book itsself is proof of writing skills. It doesn't give proof for the existance of god. The proof for god is faith. And not some blind faith in a book. The proof for god can never come from the mouths of child abusing christians or wife beating muslims, regardless of their social position. The proof for god can never come from the fingers and writing of genocidal leaders or propaganda ministers.

However bad your sin is, looking up for god or aliens to come and save you is an outdated thought.

I'd argue that when you weigh the accuracy of prophetic verses and knowledge you have to agree that it was given by the inspiration of a deity outside of the dimension of time. A deity who could see the end from the beginning. So it had to originate from a source outside of time.

It seems like the Word was merely an invention of men, then when you inspect the codes written within the Torah itself, the fingerprint of God becomes very apparent. Sadly, most people do not ponder the prophetic side, or the Bible coding aspects and their probabilities as happening by mere chance.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Christianity and/or the bible is lousy on prophecies, probably one of the worst on the prophecy market.

The second coming, Harmageddon and whatever have been prophesized with depressingly regular intervals the last 2000 years, and if it has happened, it has escaped the attention of most of us outside the holy bubble.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
The New testament was compiled by the first Council at Nicea about 325 yrs after Christ, not written 400 yrs later. The Gospels included in the New Testament were all written w/in the first hundred years, other gospels written much later were not included.

edit on 14-10-2010 by Blarneystoner because: to correct spelling

there was also a 2nd council in 787... And the council still picked and chose what went in... that along should raise eye brows. second... the gospels were written 100 years after, the same point still applies. i ask the question again..

what would happen if the events of 9/11 were only written about 100 years after... imagine how different the stories would be.

Exactly! In this context it makes the bible nothing more then a bunch made up stories. I pitty them that believe in it.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Again you're wrong! Judaism does not consider a man or woman or any animal to be God. That to them is consider idol worship. Jews are not familiar in the past and today of God being an human.
Chapters 13 and 18 of Deuteronomy come to mind when I think of Jesus.
Prophet

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Don't call me "wrong" for asserting something I never did.

I never said Judaism believed God to be an animal or man.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

The concept of God taking a human is not in Judaism. You need to study the differences between the two faiths.
For you!!

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rai76

Originally posted by bknapple32

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
The New testament was compiled by the first Council at Nicea about 325 yrs after Christ, not written 400 yrs later. The Gospels included in the New Testament were all written w/in the first hundred years, other gospels written much later were not included.

edit on 14-10-2010 by Blarneystoner because: to correct spelling

there was also a 2nd council in 787... And the council still picked and chose what went in... that along should raise eye brows. second... the gospels were written 100 years after, the same point still applies. i ask the question again..

what would happen if the events of 9/11 were only written about 100 years after... imagine how different the stories would be.

Exactly! In this context it makes the bible nothing more then a bunch made up stories. I pitty them that believe in it.

Thanks for the pity, and realize that many who believe have pity on those who don't, lol. However, your "context" is false, so your conclusion is meritless. If you had bothered to read the remainder of the thread, you've have seen that both statements above are false, and that the first century method of non-written history was a fair bit more accurate than is implied by today's standards.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rai76

***"makes the bible nothing more then a bunch made up stories. I pitty them that believe in it.'***

But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him-1Corinthians

They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you.-1Peter4.4

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 17-10-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

["The concept of God taking a human is not in Judaism. You need to study the differences between the two faiths.']

Yet the law is not of faith-Galatians3.12

The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven. As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the man from heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. And just as we have borne the likeness of the earthly man, so shall we bear the likeness of the man from heaven.-1Corinthians15.47

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

?????

I don't practice Judaism.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Your religions has roots in Judaism as well other religions. Just Judaism and Christianity are very different.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Noone is right, but everyone knows whats right. The beef i have with religion is that it never wants to admit its wrong, they just want to ignore blatant facts, because it does not fit within the guidlines of their holy book. At least science is willing to admit a previous accepted theory was incorrect, replace it, and move foward. If you want to look at our world and just claim the reason for things is a supernatural power, that's fine, but get out of the way while we make progress. And when we find something that doesn't fit into your fairytail, don't attack us and say it's satan deceiving us. You wanna be stuck in the stone age? Fine. If religion had it's way we would still be at the center of the universe, galaxy, and solar system. We are god's pinnacle creation after all...pshh.

How could you all believe in gods that have hate? I know what youre thinking christians..god loves all his children! Just not the ones he made gay or the ones he made too logical minded or the ones who have given their heart to another god.....he plans on making them suffer in hell for ertenity
. I know what i believe and the God that created me does not want me to follow him blindly. He wants me to seek him out and even then question him. He wants me to help others, mature, and improve. I don't believe God interacts with us on a daily basis, or at all. He just set this universe in motion. So IN A WAY you are your own god. god doesnt put situations in front of you, you do; and what you choose will create a different reality. In the smallest choices you have to power to change your own life. I believe everything really does happen for a reason, and how you react to it and the choice you make is much more powerful than it seems on the surface. All too often the most miniscule choices seem to change lives in big ways.

I hope soon a truth will be uncovered, because our religions are holding back progress. Just know nothing is ever as it seems. Some claim to hold all the answers, but those who do are dead and gone. Remember..

"I once thought everything had a happy ending, that it was all so simple. Well, it turns out that most poems don't rhyme and most stories don't have a clear beginning, middle or end. Life is about not knowing but wanting to learn and having to change."
edit on 17-10-2010 by Giovannetti44 because: typos out da ayyysss

edit on 17-10-2010 by Giovannetti44 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-10-2010 by Giovannetti44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I'd argue that when you weigh the accuracy of prophetic verses and knowledge you have to agree that it was given by the inspiration of a deity outside of the dimension of time. A deity who could see the end from the beginning. So it had to originate from a source outside of time.

And I'd argue that the book is a means of social control, not written by some deity outside the dimension of time but rather powerhungry 'leaders', whom you still serve today(I wonder why? Could it be that they wrote the books years and years ago and therefore still remain in charge? Churches/Royalty anyone?)

It seems like the Word was merely an invention of men, then when you inspect the codes written within the Torah itself, the fingerprint of God becomes very apparent. Sadly, most people do not ponder the prophetic side, or the Bible coding aspects and their probabilities as happening by mere chance.

You can find jesus faces in pieces of toast that are sold for ridiculous prices on the internet. Are those fingerprnints of god? No. They could be made by anyone. And in this case, anyone is better than genocidal politicians and religious nutcases who screwed 3 year old girls

When you look for things(codes, prophecy) and you do this after someone gives you the idea your brain will look for such things and rationalise them. That does NOT, not even an iota, mean there is some supernatural thing going on. If anything, your brain working is supernatural enough, yet your mind is too weak to face reality.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Citing those texts in defense of organized religious doctrine shows exactly how ignorant you choose to remain.

Just a little help: The majority of people are religious on this planet, those who are not and try to apply logic to improve and help societies grow are ALWAYS(through recorded history and in modern times) fought against, tooth and nail. Open your eyes, you're on the wrong side of the fence.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

actually did'nt remain in my ignorance any longer once something happened that defyed my previous logic-see link, you can waste alot of warm air if you like, by all means feel free but it would only be a waste of your time-by the way he owns the fence and both sides

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.-Matthew28.17

Who made heaven and earth,
The sea, and all that is in them;
Who keeps truth forever.-Psalm146.6

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 18-10-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Sigh.

You should say these things in real life, there's more support for your outlandish stories there. Here, however, where people choose to search for truth and deny ignorance you won't find much support.

PS.

There is a difference in between what you experience and how you interpret said experience. Wake up. THINK.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

did you "think" about it being a voice outside of my own?

At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, "Once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens."-Hebrews12.26

edit on 18-10-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join